[comp.sys.atari.st] Free RTX

PICHER@MAINE.BITNET (Michael W. Picher) (02/04/88)

Dave B.,
  By offering a free RTX it would be possible for you to sell the
information reguarding it.  Such as programmers guides, user docs,
etc...
  Also, maybe developers could pay to use the shell in their
applications.  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about (I usually
don't).  How about a shareware type RTX.
       Michael W. Picher

-----------------------------------------  /-----------------------^
    **  *******  Michael W. Picher         ! Robotics/Vision Lab   !
   *** ***   **  Bitnet: PICHER@MAINE      ! Barrows Hall          !
  *************          COS30204@MECAN1   ! University of Maine   !
 ** *** **       Genie : M.PICHER          ! Orono, Maine  04469   !
**  **  ** Maine Decnet: ROBOTS::PICHER    ! Phone: (207) 581-2248 !
                         VISION::PICHER    ^-----------------------/

cyliax@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (02/05/88)

I'm all for a free or inexpensive RTX, as long as we can get enough
docs and information to be able to port/run our application. Does
this operating system imply that it will be TOS compatable, i.e.
will compilers and things that we have accumluated still run under
it ? If it does it certainly seems a better solution that os9 or
waiting for Minix. I don't mind spending a little money for this,
say < $75 bucks, but if it's more than that, I probably wouldn't
bother with it. Considering you could get real UNIX for PC's
for less than $200 from Microport, I would probably just sell the
Atari and by a PC (yuck....) with UNIX.

So I guess my point is that if it's < $75 or so but you charge
enough to provide good docs. and support, I would probably buy it.
I would even pay more, if it comes with a decend "C" development
system and other tools.

--
/*                              Ingo Cyliax                               *
 * ...!ihnp4!pur-ee!cyliax      ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.         *

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (02/06/88)

One question - is RTX any good ?  Do we really want it in the public domain
or will it end up a dog like GEM ?
/leonard

rnss@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Ron Schreiner) (02/12/88)

In article <1988Feb6.153216.3628@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> lharris@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) writes:
> One question - is RTX any good ?  Do we really want it in the public domain
> or will it end up a dog like GEM ?
> /leonard

Good Q, Maybe someone could post a review or summary of RTX.  Some things
I would like to know is how big is it? how much ROM code is still used?
are there any new sys-calls provided?

--
Ron Schreiner   AT&T Bell Labs  ...ihnp4!ihuxy!rnss

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) (02/15/88)

>> One question - is RTX any good ?  Do we really want it in the public domain
>> or will it end up a dog like GEM ?

A good question.  I bought the first version of the MT C-shell (that
is built on top of RTX).  At the time I didn't have a hard disk, and
the shell hit the disk fairly often in normal operation.  As a result
it was way to slow to be useful.

Beckmeyer sent out an update notice several months ago, and I bought
the MT C-Shell update (version 1.10), the Micro C-Shell, and the Hard
Disk Accelerator.

The hard disk accelerator seems to do a fairly good job of eliminating
all those extra disk accesses that TOS usually makes.  It is always
installed on my hard disk and is generally fairly ignorable :-)

The Micro C-shell is also a fairly good product.  I tend to switch
between it and Gulam about equally.  (Gulam doesn't do pipes, among
other things).

After David Beckmeyer's posting I tried running the MT C-Shell
software in a previously empty partition on my hard disk.

I ran it for a short while.

- Screen (text) output seemed a bit slow.

- Interaction response is slow and jerky with programs running in
  background.  To be fair, this may be due to the ST BIOS
  implementation.

- The whole thing crashed after about 5-10 minutes of use.  I don't
  know why and didn't try to find out.

My \auto\ folder installs, in order, a 100K 'eternal' ramdisk, the
beckmeyer hard disk accelerator, and Gemboot (a 40 folder bug
workaround).

I'd be interested in hearing experiences from other people who have
tried RTX and/or the MT C-Shell.

-----
Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	ucbvax!trwrb!felix!preston
BIX	   :	plb
CompuServe :	71350,3505
GEnie      :	p.bannister
--

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (02/17/88)

In article <2383@ihuxy.ATT.COM> rnss@ihuxy.UUCP (Ron Schreiner) writes:
>Good Q, Maybe someone could post a review or summary of RTX.  Some things
>I would like to know is how big is it? how much ROM code is still used?
>are there any new sys-calls provided?

If there is interest and approval I could post the technical information
regarding RTX internals. I think I'm the only one that really knows;
and I have seen a lot of mis-information thrown around here.  Of course,
it would not be a product evaluation good or bad, simply a description.
I would try not to hype.  I won't post this if It's gonna raise flames.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com (02/18/88)

>I would be interested in others who use MT C Shell...
I use it all the time.  I am using it now.  Since I have programs that run
in the background to do the file transfers and dialing (for PC Pursuit),
and they don't kill the foreground, I start them and do other things on
my ST while waiting.  Very few programs crash, and I have found alternatives
that don't.  I only have a meg (and a LOT of auto folder stuff), so I can't
run a lot of stuff in the background.  I do have things that will allow me
to break out of a program from anywhere (like control-c, but without waiting).
I use Micro C Shell when I am not using MT.

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (02/18/88)

David,

I'd like to see the technical info about RTX that you spoke of. I'm sure many
others would be interested as well. If you have seen mis-information, I think
it would be the best to have the info straight from the source.

Marty
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu (Thomas Wolf) (02/19/88)

In article <138@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>If there is interest and approval I could post the technical information
>regarding RTX internals. I think I'm the only one that really knows;
>and I have seen a lot of mis-information thrown around here.  Of course,
>it would not be a product evaluation good or bad, simply a description.
>I would try not to hype.  I won't post this if It's gonna raise flames.
>--

I for one would really appreciate an authoratative description of RTX in this
newsgroup.  If, for some incomprehensible :-) reason, no one agrees with this,
could you e-mail me a copy?  Thanks in advance,

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
          or  wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) (02/23/88)

From article <914@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, by singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer):

> Another amusing issue:

>    I find it truely fascinating all this discussion about David Beckmeyer
>    releasing RTX into the public domain.  I can't believe how few people
>    even knew it existed.  They want it free, but are willing to pay a
>    small amount for the docs.  Well I have news for you all, its never
>    NEVER been that cost prohibitive. All of 69.95 list and its been around
>    for about 2 years...  How can you expect him to support it for less?

My take on this is a little different.  I've known about RTX for about
as long it's been around.  I even bought the original (?) version of
the MT C-shell.

My problem with RTX was why write software for it if only people who
had RTX (a very small group) could run it?  If DavidB makes RTX (the
runtime module...) free, then he might see more widespread _use_ of
RTX.  With a critical mass of users his sales of documentation (?)
might well bring in more dollars than he has seen so far.

It's a gamble, but probably a good one.

You could draw analogies from the histories of Unix and the UCSD
P-system.  The P-system spread very rapidly when it was cheap, and I
understand it brought in a surprising amount for money for UCSD.  Then
they sold it to SoftTech, which charged large amounts of money, and put
in very little work (at Western Digital we did about the same amount of
work with two people part-time).  Not surprisingly, the P-system
practically died.

-----
Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	hplabs!felix!preston
BIX	   :	plb
CompuServe :	71350,3505
GEnie      :	p.bannister
--

crash@calgary.UUCP (Glen ) (02/23/88)

> RTX technical info

Post it, no one flamed me about my excessive verbage about ram disks

Glen Stone