[comp.sys.atari.st] A Good Deal?

Pete_Brown@MAW.CEO.DG.COM (02/23/88)

I just called Computer Repeats INC, about their trade in deal (Brand
New Atari 520ST FM Mono for $299 with tradein of 1050 or $159 with
800XL computer) and was told that the ad was a misprint, that they
really meant "with trade in of an entire system, including monitor
and printer".  Seemed kind of strange to me that the ad was
misprinted in two different months of Antic.  I was wondering about
other people experiences.
Dislaimer: My opinions and statements are my own.

aegnor@bsu-cs.UUCP (David C. Powell) (02/23/88)

We here at B.S.U. also experienced this problem, to say that we were a
tad miffed is an understatement!!!  We were all (approx. 10) wanting to
dump our 8-bit Atari's and upgrade to the 520ST.  My friend called, and
after the "oops, thats a SLIGHT missprint" was given an itemized price list
for his equipment, about $169 for his 800,850 interface,Percom drive and
acoustic modem....  How generous....  from now on, we plan only to (try)
to buy any/all Atari products face to face with a dealer..  though, the
closest (not cheapest) is about 45-50 minutes away from where we all live!
 So, it again proves what my father always told me, "Don't believe everything
you read, till you find out the facts from the 'horses mouth'"

                         A very disgruntled mail order attempter,

*-David Powell :aegnor@bsu-cs.UUCP-----------------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!aegnor |
| /\etwnk Inudstries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (02/24/88)

In article <40.007051@adam.DG.COM> <Pete_Brown%MAW.CEO.DG.COM@adam.DG.COM> writes:
>I just called Computer Repeats INC, about their trade in deal (Brand
>New Atari 520ST FM Mono for $299 with tradein of 1050 or $159 with
>800XL computer) and was told that the ad was a misprint, that they
>really meant "with trade in of an entire system, including monitor
>and printer".  Seemed kind of strange to me that the ad was
>misprinted in two different months of Antic.  I was wondering about
>other people experiences.

Every time I've called one of these places advertising ST hardware
at unbelievable prices they have said:

	1) "It was a mis-print"
	2) "We changed our price"

And then they quote a more "standard" discounted price.  No big
savings over the local computer store.   I don't know how these
places stay in business.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what