[comp.sys.atari.st] Microsoft Word for the ST

rowley@ORVILLE.NAS.NASA.GOV (Karl Rowley) (02/08/88)

I saw Microsoft Word for sale yesterday at HT Electronics in Sunnyvale.

The advantages of the program are that it seems to be a decent
word-processor, it can use multiple fonts, and it produces output with
GEM metafiles.  However it does not include a spelling checker.

The package comes with GDOS, and a device driver and fonts for the Atari
dot matrix printer.  Included is a set-up program for GDOS.  It appeared
that Epson-compatible and 24 pin printers are not supported for output
of GEM metafiles in this package.  They were using device drivers and fonts
from Easydraw on an FX-80 compatible in the store, and the output looked good.

The GDOS document and utility programs look good.  Atari should consider
selling the GDOS programs and documents separately from the Microsoft Word
package.

At the store they had a copy of a utility program that could convert
Mac and Amiga fonts to GDOS fonts.

				Karl Rowley
				...ucbvax!ames!orville.nas.nasa.gov!rowley
				rowley@orville.nas.nasa.gov

"Any opinions expressed are my own."

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (02/19/88)

In article <8802072043.AA15363@orville.nas.nasa.gov> rowley@ORVILLE.NAS.NASA.GOV (Karl Rowley) writes:

>The package comes with GDOS, and a device driver and fonts for the Atari
>dot matrix printer.  Included is a set-up program for GDOS.  It appeared
>The GDOS document and utility programs look good.  Atari should consider
>selling the GDOS programs and documents separately from the Microsoft Word
>package.

Fat chance of that happening, over the period of the last two years Atari
has simply refused to make GDOS available as a seperate product, delibertley
crippling the ST as a result. As far as I know the only way to get a copy
without buying a software package is to buy an Atari laser printer :-/.

			Simon Poole
			Bitnet: K538915@CZHRZU1A
			UUCP: ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (02/22/88)

(A divergent tangent, but bear with me, please)

In article <148@forty2.UUCP> poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:
>In article <8802072043.AA15363@orville.nas.nasa.gov> rowley@ORVILLE.NAS.NASA.GOV (Karl Rowley) writes:
>>The package comes with GDOS, and a device driver and fonts for the Atari
>>dot matrix printer.  Included is a set-up program for GDOS.  It appeared

Waitaminute! What if you don't *have* an atari dot-matrix printer? In my
case, for example, I've got a Panasonic KX-P1091 (Epson FX compatable [I
think, somebody lemme know if I'm wrong])...Does this mean that if I get
Microsoft Word for the ST, I *CAN'T* use the graphics printing/custom fonts
on my setup?

  Maybe I'm stupid, but why doesn't Atari include GDOS drivers for other
printers in the package, then? On the other foot, if I've read the above
quote wrong, will somebody correct me?

  Thanks a bunch,

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. 1st Word is great, but if I can get MW to work (and get all them nifty
fonts and tricks, too), then I'll buy it...

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (02/22/88)

I got a look at Microsoft word the other day.  Its a really nice program -
a bit slow though.  The one thing that pissed me off was that you need an
atari laser printer to print fonts.  Why is this?  Why not provide a set of
dot matrix fonts (as on the mac) so people with cheap printers can get good
looking output.  The lack of non-laser fonts cripples this program and makes
probably the best word-processor for the ST - almost useless!
(Yes - I know there is a metafile to postscript converter but if I had a
postscript printer I wouldn't be compaining)

/Leonard

Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com (02/24/88)

I have a Panasonic KX-P1080, and it does really nice printing of documents
from EasyDraw using it's capabilities since it uses Epson compatible graphics.
Since the 1090 should be similar, it still should work - anythign that has
epson compatible graphics since that is what GDOS uses.