[comp.sys.atari.st] Why moderation

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (02/25/88)

In article <23660@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:

>If the bottleneck is in moderation, why not just make comp.binaries.atari.st
>unmoderated and post binaries there?

There are advantages to moderation. You don't get 50 people who all have a new
version of <spiffy 100K program> all posting it at once; with propagation
delays you might post 7 or 8 days after someone else does without seeing
their posting.

Also if you know your program will not be posted for several days after you
send it, it gives you the chance to add in new features, fix bugs and send
off the newer version _before_ the net gets cluttered with the first one.

And since the moderator is supposed to test things before passing them on,
you are assured that at least one person has successfully unarced / uudecoded
a binary before it's put into general distribution. Ever download > 200K and
find out that it didn't work because someone's mailer garbled line 1000 of
the uuencoded file? I have, I'd rather have things like this happen to a
moderator :-) .

John
--
"Fanaticism is all right... as long as you're ALONE! HAHAHAHA!"
		-- Pat Robertson shares a gem of wisdom told to him by Richard