[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #90

U00311@HASARA5.BITNET ("Dimitri Velis - Acad Zkhs UvA'dam") (02/26/88)

                        Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #90

Info-Atari16 Digest   Tuesday, February 23, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 90

Today's Topics:

                   RE: Re: tried to 1 meg, problem
                    Re: fsel_input sources wanted
                           Re: Memory Chips
                     Re: enforcement of Sharewar
                      Re: Atari 68030 computer?
                        Supra 2400's vs Ethics
                  Re: Multi-tasking? A nightmare...
                          Re: STedi & Craft
                         Re: Shareware? Hah!
                    Re:  Print redirection routine
                  Info-Atari16 Digest Vol88, No. 40
      Problems w/uue files at ATARINET (UH-INFO@UHUPVM1.BITNET)

Date: 19 Feb 88 02:40:53 GMT
From: portal!cup.portal.com!Thomas_E_Zerucha@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Atari 68030 computer?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Thanks for the report on the 68030.  I am wondering if there will be at least
a socket for a 68882 (if not the chip - or the 881) or some other support
for floating point.  In this case I think I prefer to stick with the standard
882 instead of going custom.

------------------------------

Subject:  Re: STedi & Craft
From:     PETCHER%FSU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Date:     Fri, 19-FEB-1988 16:09 To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Martin Wiedmeyer writes:

>This is the first I've heard of the Craft development package and STedi. If
>it's faster than Tempus, I'm really interested. Where can it be purchased?

I am surprised that knowledge of the Craft development package has not yet
made it out to usenet.  While I was living in Holland I had the privilege
of being one of the beta testers of this package, and since then I have
come to depend on it.  Since I like it so much, I will be glad to answer.

STedi is a very fast editor that was written specially for the ST.  To say
that it is faster than Tempus is perhaps missing the point.  It is indeed
faster than Tempus in many respects (for example the search/replace routine
is a little faster but this can only really be seen on a file > 200K) and
in a few aspects it is perhaps slower, although I am not sure.  Both are
so fast that the speed of the editor is no longer a factor. The important
fact is that STedi is much much more powerful as an editor.  Aside from
all the regular features - search/replace, cut/paste, undo, etc. there are
many non-standard features such as:

- 8 text buffers: switch between them at the stroke of one key.
- 10 learn buffers: record up to 100 keystrokes for replay
- complete key redefinitons: one key can be redefined to perform the action
  of one or more keystrokes, or even multiple keystrokes can be defined to
  perform the action of only one.  This can be used to emulate another editor.
  I have seen an almost complete emulation of the Vax edt editor running.
- insertion of non-standard ASCII characters is easily done, via hex code.
  (combine this with key redefinitons ... - one beta tester configured STedi
  to type in Hebrew - complete with charcaters appearing in reverse order)
- "folds": you add a couple of lines in the program that are comments to
  the compiler but allow the editor to suppress all text between them at
  the stroke of a key, or a click of the mouse.  This allows organization
  of the program in logical units which can be 'opened' and 'closed', sort
  of like an outlining feature in a word processor, but is done all in ASCII.
- cut/paste can be used only in a certain range, or just in specific columns,
  as well as can search and replace.
- automatic wordwrap and auto-indentation features
- edit hex code directly and write it back out to disk
- execute external programs (compile etc.) from within the editor.
- alternate fonts (fixed width only)
- save configuration (key redefinitions, fonts, numerous settings I haven't
  mentioned) to a file to be read at startup.
- find matching parenthesis command
- find next occurrence of present 'word'
- etc.

This is only the beginning.  So you see STedi is not really even in the same
class as Tempus.  I should add that STedi does not use the GEM windows/menus
interface although this is actually an advantage in my opinion, the way the
program is written.  This allows full 80 column (in fact a line can have up to
255 characters with horizontal scrolling) by 24 line editing and more if a
smaller font is used, and no compromise is made with ease of use.  The mouse
can be used for moving the cursor, scrolling, opening and closing folds, etc.
as well as for reading and writing through the file selector, cutting and
pasting etc.   A menu bar appears at the bottom of the screen in contrasting
color (much in appearance as Uniterm), which is also used for commands. <Esc>
brings the cursor there to enter commands.  The status of certain modes
(insert/overwrite mode, and the like) the name of the file being edited, and
the current line number are printed there.  Also messages appear there
depending on the circumstances. This is all sort of like EVE on the Vax.

Perhaps the most outstanding thing about the editor is the paying attention to
detail.  For example, if you exit (one keystroke for save current buffer and
exit, another for just exit) only if something is unsaved are you queried.  No
clicking away of unnecessary dialogue boxes, etc. (as with many of our
unfavorite editors and word processors) Or when you paste something in, and
realize you don't want it there, the editor is already configured to recut it
out.  Such time saving features can be invaluable to the programmer.  All in
all, aside from perhaps the LSE editor on the Vax along with some personal
touches (compiled TPU additions), I have never seen such a powerful and at the
same time user friendly editor as STedi, on a main frame or a micro.

STedi is being marketed as part of the Craft development package by Commedia in
Amsterdam:

                  COMMEDIA
                  P.O. Box 6409
                  1005 EK Amsterdam, The Netherlands

The other side of the package is a Unix-like shell called the GPshell, which
is also an extemely nice piece of software.  Besides providing Unix
replacements for all GEMDOS functions, and with standar unix features such
as aliasing, history, wildcarding, redirection, pipes, etc.  there are a
number of non-standard features also such as the possibility to edit previous
commands (more like VMS), if you start typing a file name and then press
<Esc> the filename is completed for you insofar as it is unique, and a ramdisk
and print spooler are included that can be created or destroyed at will
from the shell.  As the original question was about STedi I won't go on
about the shell except to say that the two work very well together.  If
the shell is present, STedi can execute any shell commands besides external
programs.  We bought our copies of Craft (at FSU) for around $200 U.S. although
the price might have gone up due to the exchange rate.

If this sounds like an advertisement, it should, because I am one satisfied
user.  I would like to see such an excellent product succeed.  (Disclaimer:)
However, I have no relation to Commedia whatsoever.

                                                 Don Petcher
                                                PETCHER@FSU.BITNET

-------