[comp.sys.atari.st] MEGABYTE, in Webster Texas?????

oscar@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Oscar DeMartino) (02/09/88)

 I was looking for a hard for my 1040 when I came across this company in
Webster, Texas, MEGABYTE.  They had what I considered to be very good prices
on harddisks and also seemed to know what they were doing when I talked to
them over the phone.  ..BUT.. it is another case of it is being shipped
today, followed by we will be getting a part tomorrow, followed by yours
is at the top of the list.

I can understand this on software where schedules are sometimes not able
to be kept but hardware is a matter of counting the number of oredrs and
counting the number of parts and asking ones self do I have of enough.

I am about ready to cancel my order because I wonder if a company can't
tell if something is in stock or not how good would they be at fixing it?

Has anyone ever delt with this place before?
If so what is your reaction?
Any suggestions where one might get a deal on a hard disk for the ST?
(I sould prefer a 30+ if at all possible?)

Thanks for any response

Oscar "Fred" DeMartino                     Jet Propulsion Laboratory/Cal Tech
4800 Oak Grove Drive  Pasadena, CA. 91109  MS: 301-260A        (818) 354-1295
MAYBE: oscar@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov           ARPA: jpl-devvax!oscar@cit-vax
--
Oscar "Fred" DeMartino                     Jet Propulsion Laboratory/Cal Tech
4800 Oak Grove Drive  Pasadena, CA. 91109  MS: 301-260A        (818) 354-1295
MAYBE: oscar@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov           ARPA: jpl-devvax!oscar@cit-vax

jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) (02/16/88)

-------------------------------

This is the company that is making the Accelerator board for the ST.

It is a 14mHz board for the ST, time ratings now say the speed increase is
about 75% and it does work with PC-Ditto.

I have been told that the board will eventually be running at 16mhz.  Twice
as fast.  That should be real nice with your favorite C compiler, PC-Ditto,
Magic Sac (maybe, not tested), XformerII (Atari 800/C64/AppleII emul),and
lots of other fun goodies.

I have a friend who has paid the $200 for a beta board and should get it
"Real Soon Now."

John Joubert                         |     /\  |    /\    |     _
jpdres13@usl-pc.USL                  |     \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
or ...                               |-----/|-------/|-----------------------
ut-sally!usl-pc!jpdres13             |     \/       \/

tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) (02/19/88)

In article <903@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) writes:
>This is the company that is making the Accelerator board for the ST.
>
>It is a 14mHz board for the ST, time ratings now say the speed increase is
>about 75% and it does work with PC-Ditto.
>
>I have been told that the board will eventually be running at 16mhz.  Twice
>as fast.  That should be real nice with your favorite C compiler, PC-Ditto,
>Magic Sac (maybe, not tested), XformerII (Atari 800/C64/AppleII emul),and
>lots of other fun goodies.
	Does it work with GEM?  Apparently so, but I had understood from
several people that the GEMDOS would not tollerate any type of speed
increase, even just putting in a 68010, which gives an effective 10Mhz
68k speed.  I had also read about a board to put in a 68020 and 68881 running
at various speeds, but they said that too would not work with GEMDOS.
I had been waiting for the release of MINIX/ST to get one of these, but
if it will work now, great!!

>I have a friend who has paid the $200 for a beta board and should get it
>"Real Soon Now."
	Could you _please_ give the address if it satisifies the stuff
up above?  I imagine alot of people will be interested if it does work
with GEMDOS.

                                                _____________
                                                  /
                                               --/ __ _______
                                              (_/ (_) / / / <_ Livingston
                                              { decuac,ihnp4 }!netsys!tsl

wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu (Thomas Wolf) (02/19/88)

....some description of an accelarator board for the st..
>	Does it work with GEM?  Apparently so, but I had understood from
>several people that the GEMDOS would not tollerate any type of speed
>increase, even just putting in a 68010, which gives an effective 10Mhz
>68k speed.  I had also read about a board to put in a 68020 and 68881 running
>at various speeds, but they said that too would not work with GEMDOS.
>I had been waiting for the release of MINIX/ST to get one of these, but
>if it will work now, great!!
I think the ST's OS can't handle OTHER processors - such as the 68010 and
68020, but it is likely that a faster 68000 would work fine.  Which brings
up the question:  Does the accelerator board use a 14mhz 68000?

>>I have a friend who has paid the $200 for a beta board and should get it
>>"Real Soon Now."
>	Could you _please_ give the address if it satisifies the stuff
>up above?  I imagine alot of people will be interested if it does work
>with GEMDOS.
   Yes, PLEASE let us know when this product becomes available (and for
how much :-)

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
          or  wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) (02/28/88)

--------------------------

Due to a hefty amount of requests for this info I will post it:

Megabyte Computers
109 W. Bay Area Blvd
Webster TX 77598

Ph. 713-338-2231

This 14Mhz board is gem compatible and I have not heard of ANYTHING that does
not run on it.  Of course, they have not tried everything.

The reason that is so compatible is that it does not change the way the ST
does anything, it just changes the speed of the whole system by using a faster
chip than the 8 mhz one.  That is what I got from the phone conversation anyway.

John Joubert                         |     /\  |    /\    |     _
jpdres13@usl-pc.USL   or ...         |     \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
ut-sally!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13         |-----/|-------/|----------------------
GEnie: J.JOUBERT                     |     \/       \/

In article <957@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) writes:

>--------------------------
>
>Due to a hefty amount of requests for this info I will post it:
>

>Megabyte Computers
>109 W. Bay Area Blvd
>Webster TX 77598
>
>Ph. 713-338-2231
>

>This 14Mhz board is gem compatible and I have not heard of ANYTHING that does
>not run on it.  Of course, they have not tried everything.
>
>The reason that is so compatible is that it does not change the way the ST
>does anything, it just changes the speed of the whole system by using a faster
>chip than the 8 mhz one.  That is what I got from the phone conversation anyway.

oh, I forgot -- cost is $199, oops !