[comp.sys.atari.st] Posting Binaries - please read

lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) (02/27/88)

Since James (x-moderator) has relinquished his role, here goes:

 To all those who intend on posting binaries to comp.sys.atari.st,
PLEASE include a decent amount of ENGLISH prose (ie. before the uuencoded
stuff starts), describing what the program you're posting is supposed
to do.  PLEASE be as complete and concise as possible (as was done by
James previously), that is specify:
  1)  whether for mono, color, or both
  2)  binaries, sources (specify MWC, OSS Pascal, etc), or both
  3)  what it does  (be as complete as possible here)
  4)  what special hardware/software configuration may be needed

It's silly to post a 50K uuencoded thing which is preceded by 2 lines saying
it's a blah, blah, blah.  A reasonably complete description of what the
program does (in ENGLISH , and not uuencoded) should be included, so the
reader can determine if it's something he/she wants without having to download
, decode, and de-arc it first. Of course the FULL docs should be in the
encoded file. REMEMBER, most people who are reading your posting have no idea
what your program does; hence 2 lines of doc might be enough for you (like
saying it's a f_sel program), but would be insufficient for most of us.
Thanks in advance.
--
.., the Gods won't mind.  				CSNET:lean@sbcs.csnet
    Gordon Merrick. 		     ARPA:lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

jafischer@lily.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) (02/29/88)

In article <994@sbcs.sunysb.edu> lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>It's silly to post a 50K uuencoded thing which is preceded by 2 lines saying
>it's a blah, blah, blah.
>	... etc, etc, gripe gripe gripe.

	A) I posted the contents of the .arc file several days prior to
posting the .uue.  B) The topic had been discussed to a small extent on the
net already.  C) I specified that it was the sources, and demo, for an
alternate File Selector routine.  D) I didn't write it, so I had no more
information to pass on.

	Please don't take this as a personal flame, Lean.  You had valid
concerns, but I feel obliged to defend myself.

	New Topic:
	==========

	About the unkind treatment of James Turner (ex-moderator of the
source and binary groups) lately: perhaps some of the criticism has stemmed
from the fact that many students are used to having a great deal of time to
spend perusing the net each day.  People working full-time have an entirely
different concept of free time.  It is a cherished thing, especially in a
workforce in which one is often expected to put in 50+ hour weeks with no
overtime pay.  I've had a few co-op work-terms in such an environment, and
even though I was not nearly as busy as some of my co-workers, I found that I
had very little time or energy to fool around on my computer at home in the
evenings.  Probably James has even less time than I had.  And he has recently
started a new job, so the last thing he wants to do is to get caught spending
time uploading Atari ST sources and binaries to the net during work hours.
Good way to make a first impression.

	I for one wish to thank James for the work he did; his only failure
was in delaying too long the decision to drop a duty that he evidently had
little or no time to perform.  But when he was more active, he did a
first-rate job.  Thanks, James!

--
				- Jonathan A. Fischer,    jafischer@lily.waterloo.edu
...{ihnp4,allegra,decvax,utzoo,utcsri}!watmath!lily!jafischer