mgr@pixar.UUCP (Michael Griffin Russell) (01/29/88)

I'm considering making a mail order purchase from LYCO Computer
and am interested in any experiences anyone may have had with them.
--
Mike Russell ucbvax!pixar!mgr	Don't worry, amnesia is a common
				side effect of re-incarnation.

wisner@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (01/30/88)

In article <1435@pixar.UUCP> mgr@pixar.UUCP (Michael Griffin Russell) writes:
>I'm considering making a mail order purchase from LYCO Computer
>and am interested in any experiences anyone may have had with them.

Recommended. I got my 1040ST from them about a year ago, and had absolutely
no problem. It is warranteed, the price was great, and it got here promptly.
Their support is also decent. An unexpected bonus: I ended up getting a
1040STfm.

..bill
--
Fenchurch doesn't get mail; reply to wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU.

JEMCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET (02/02/88)

Date:    2 February 1988, 00:46:02 EST
From:    Jim McCabe                                JEMCCABE at MTUS5
To:      INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Re: Lyco Computer

Way back when I had an 800XL and lusting after a 300 baud modem,
I picked Lyco to buy my XM301 from.  Terrible choice.  I ordered
the product through the mail, and upon calling them a few days later,
I was told that my order had been recieved and sent out.

Wrong.  I believed them.  A week later, I called again and they said
that my modem was shipped the day before (six days AFTER the original
person said it was sent), and so I waited a week again.  Seven days
later, the modem still wasn't here, and I began to call them once a
day.  Each time, I got a different story ("it was sent out yesterday",
"our records show that we haven't sent it yet due to a late shipment on
the part of Atari", "it will be taken care of", etc...).

Eventually, to my surprise, it DID get to me, and I vowed never to
even contemplate shopping with them again.  A friend of mine had
similar troubles with a modem for his C64 last year (although he had
no trouble when he had bought other goods previously).  Either they
hate modem users, or you have a random chance of getting average service.

I personally tend to shop from Computer Mail Order -- they are always
on time, have nice prices, and are reasonable when your package comes
in the mail broken.

>>> I have no connection with Lyco or CMO, I just hate Lyco and
>>> trust CMO.

+-----------------------+------------------------------------+
|  Jim McCabe           |  BITNET:  jemccabe @ mtus5.bitnet  |
|  G31 ECH MTU          |  UUCP:    mccabe2  @ mtuvaxb.uucp  |
|  Houghton, MI  49931  |           mccabe   @ m-net.uucp    |
+-----------------------+------------------------------------+

chad@byuvax.bitnet (02/02/88)

I recently bought my 520STfm from them at $479 for the system (which I
believe has since gone up) and am satisfied (that was a mono sys).

The SM124 monitor was not working when I received it so I called them up
and the girl on the other end was reaaly quite nice, said to send it
back, and they would send me a new one.  They shipped me the new one the
same day they got the old one and it works (using it this minute).

I will do things with them in the future but I alse try to frequent
local computer stores to help them out with business and to establish
good relationships with them.  As a student with limited resources,
I am grateful that mail order exists.

Hope that helped.

chad

BITNET:  CHAD@BYUVAX

standard disclaimer ------  All that I've said originated from the
new C.L. mark II 3 hz processor.

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly stowe) (02/02/88)

I've heard bad things about Lyco, also.  I've used ComputAbility in
Milwaukee and have gotten good service from them.  I've also called
them on the phone to inquire about a number of things and have found
them to be courteous and helpful.  Their prices are definitely competitive.

Does anyone know anything about a place called Games + in CA?

-hls
Disclaimer:  What?  Me?  Responsible?!  *ha!*

mark@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Storin) (02/03/88)

In article <732@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> stowe@silver.UUCP (holly stowe) writes:
>I've heard bad things about Lyco, also.  I've used ComputAbility in
>Milwaukee and have gotten good service from them.

	I live in Milwaukee and have used Computablity many times.  They have
always been courteous and helpful.  They have accepted returns of defective
merchandise ( printer problems ) without question.  They represent the
"better" half of the mail order business.

- Mark Storin
--
Mark A. Storin					|  These opinions are my own,
Lake Systems, Milw., WI				|  you can't have them!

actor@percival.UUCP (Clif Swinford) (02/04/88)

I'm not putting down Lyco, or any other mail-order outfit, but you should
be aware of a potential problem with buying Ataris by mail. Atari's
warranty is enforced by the dealer from which the computer is bought. This
means if your new ST coughs and dies you have to send it back to Lyco (or
whoever) to get it fixed. If you take it to a local Atari dealer they will
charge you full price, which is at their discretion to set. So beware.

--
     Clif Swinford
                   ..!tektronix!reed!percival!actor                        fnord

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly stowe) (02/05/88)

In article <1072@percival.UUCP> actor@percival.UUCP (Clif Swinford) writes:

>If you take it to a local Atari dealer they will
>charge you full price, which is at their discretion to set. So beware.

Unless you're our local dealer who will charge you even if you buy the
equipment there, according to one of our local users...

rjd@nancy (Rob Demillo) (02/05/88)

In article <8010@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>In article <1435@pixar.UUCP> mgr@pixar.UUCP (Michael Griffin Russell) writes:
>>I'm considering making a mail order purchase from LYCO Computer
>>and am interested in any experiences anyone may have had with them.
>
>Recommended. I got my 1040ST from them about a year ago, and had absolutely
>no problem. It is warranteed, the price was great, and it got here promptly.
>Their support is also decent. An unexpected bonus: I ended up getting a
>1040STfm.

OK -- Here we go...

We have had a lot of experience here at Planetary Science buying
ST lately...they make great pieces of lab equipment. One of the
people here at the lab recently (Dec) bought a 1040ST thru Lyco.
He payed a great price (around 650 for mono). Now in January another
fellow in the lab decides to get a 1040 from Lyco. Current cost: $850
What happened? Well, sources (from within Lyco and other mail order houses)
tell us that Lyco had been getting its STs "illegally." Atari found
out, and now if you try and order from Lyco, their costs
are the same as everywhere else, and you have to wait three months.

What does "illegally" mean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Consider yourself warned.....

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd    -- or --
			...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!europa!demillo
	BITNET:		GE702025@BROWNVM
	SPAN:		BRNPSG::DEMILLO
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (02/08/88)

In article <22558@brunix.UUCP> rjd@nancy.UUCP (Rob Demillo) writes:
>people here at the lab recently (Dec) bought a 1040ST thru Lyco.
>He payed a great price (around 650 for mono). Now in January another
>fellow in the lab decides to get a 1040 from Lyco. Current cost: $850
>What happened?

Nothing more than Atari raising dealer prices across the board from
what I hear from other dealers locally. I only know of the single $100
increase on the 1040, but the girl at CMO mentioned that they have
seen two price increases in the last few months on the 1040.

Same thing happened here at ETA...one guy bought his in mid December
for $150 less than another got his for in mid January (think the last
price was $940 for an RGB 1040. Still another person just bought his
at a local store for $1050 or so. From what I hear, both the mail
order people are happy with their machines and the other guy probably
will be if the store ever gets their shipment in...but that's another
problem altogether.

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (02/12/88)

In article <22558@brunix.UUCP>, rjd@nancy (Rob Demillo) writes:
> Well, sources (from within Lyco and other mail order houses)
> tell us that Lyco had been getting its STs "illegally."
> What does "illegally" mean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Rumor has it that Lyco and CMO were buying "bad" STs from Atari,
ostensibly for spare parts, and then doing whatever it took to make
them run enough to sell them.  You pop off the cover and the RF shield
and there are Atari Q/C "REJECTED" stickers all over the place.  If
Atari shut them down from doing this, it's one of the BEST things I've
heard of Atari Corp. doing in quite some time.

    /\              - " Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!
  /    \/ \/\/  \   -   Contend in Vain."   -  uplherc!sp7040!
 / U i n T e c h \  -        Isaac Asimov   -     obie!wes
--

rjd@nancy (Rob Demillo) (02/19/88)

In article <47@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <22558@brunix.UUCP>, rjd@nancy (Rob Demillo) writes:
>> Well, sources (from within Lyco and other mail order houses)
>> tell us that Lyco had been getting its STs "illegally."
>> What does "illegally" mean? Your guess is as good as mine.
>
>Rumor has it that Lyco and CMO were buying "bad" STs from Atari,
>ostensibly for spare parts, and then doing whatever it took to make
>them run enough to sell them.  You pop off the cover and the RF shield
>and there are Atari Q/C "REJECTED" stickers all over the place.

Well, just to back this claim up, the story continues...

Exactly 24 hours after I posted my first article about Lyco, the
friend of mine that originally bought his though Lyco called me
up: it seems that his 1040 fryed. Not just your standard, made-in-america
turn in on and it doesn't work kinda deal...I'm talking about:

                      ** FIZZZZZZZZZZZZZ---TTTTTT!!! **

accompanied by smoke and sparks. (I have only seen one other machine
do this: an IBM Portable PC that had the wrong monitor plugged into it.)

So, he opens it up: sure enough the power supply blew. He told me after
the fact that it had been running kinda hot ever since he bought it,
and twice it rebooted for no reason. He bought a new power supply ($45)
and now everything is fine...

...if he has the old one I'll have him look for the Atari Q/C "REJECT"
stickers.

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd    -- or --
			...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!europa!demillo
	BITNET:		GE702025@BROWNVM
	SPAN:		BRNPSG::DEMILLO
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN

Mark_H_Brandwein@cup.portal.com (02/29/88)

Concerning Lyco Computer: I have ordered from them on two occasions, once
back in 1980, when I purchased my first 800. The service was fast and
flawless. However, when I ordered my 520ST from them in 1986, they said
they were in stock and would be shipped tomorrow. Two weeks later, I had
called them to locate my order.. the girl said there were no monitors in
stock, and were waiting for ME to call to ask me if I was interested in
receiving the keybd, drive, etc... and they would send the monitor when
it came in (old ST with TV modulator!). I replied "of course" and got the
ST in 10 days, the monitor a week and a half after that. Other friends I
know who have dealt with Lyco say the same, that Lyco will tell you "OK",
and let you sit and wait, when they really are out of what you ordered,or
something else. I recommend Electronics One in Ohio. I ordered a 1020
printer/plotter from them while I was stationed in Korea... it arrived ten
days after mailed the letter! Now THAT is good service!

Mark                        Mark_H_Brandwein@CUP.Portal.com