[comp.sys.atari.st] GEMDOS source,

juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) (02/10/88)

In article <1265@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:
>I just spent 68.00 Deutsche Mark for a C-Source of Gemdos published here
>in Germany and like some other people I will try to compile my own TOS,
>if possible at all.
	Where can we get C sources for gemdog in North America.  How much
is 68.00 Deutsche Mark?

| Typical conversation on comp.[atari|amiga|mac].*		    |
My watch is better than yours.  It has multitasking, windows and
plays Old macdonald has a farm.  I will not listen to reason, of

dr.bit@netmbx.UUCP (Holger Brieger) (02/16/88)

In article <1988Feb10.091947.13443@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) writes:
>In article <1265@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:
>>I just spent 68.00 Deutsche Mark for a C-Source of Gemdos published here
>>in Germany and like some other people I will try to compile my own TOS,
>>if possible at all.
>	Where can we get C sources for gemdog in North America.  How much
>is 68.00 Deutsche Mark?

68.00 Dm are about 40$ i think. And what is a gem*dog*. Is it new :-)??
I can tell the ISBN No. of the gemdos sourcecode book. It is
ISBN 3-88229-002-1   DAS TOS-LISTING   Verlag Heinz-Heise
In this book there are listings of BIOS,GEMDOS and VDI.

--
My opinions are my own and my language too, as you see :-)

Holger Brieger : dr.bit@netmbx.UUCP : dr.bit@netmbx.DE

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (02/17/88)

In article <1988Feb10.091947.13443@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) writes:
>	Where can we get C sources for gemdog in North America.  How much
>is 68.00 Deutsche Mark?

One Buck is about 1.70 Deutsche Mark (changing dayly).

Please contact the publishing company at

Verlag Heinz Heise           or contact me via e-mail
Helstorfer Strasse 7         I will get in touch with the Heise-people
3000 Hannover 61             at the CeBit Faire (~ March 19)
West-Germany                 maybe I could send you a copy.

Beware! The book is german, as are the comments to the sources!

Disclaimer: I'm just a customer of the Heise-Verlag.
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Berlin (West) (*east of West-Germany :-)
hase@netmbx.UUCP

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/17/88)

in article <1988Feb10.091947.13443@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>,
juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) says:

> In article <1265@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:
>>I just spent 68.00 Deutsche Mark for a C-Source of Gemdos published here
>>in Germany and like some other people I will try to compile my own TOS,
>>if possible at all.
> 	Where can we get C sources for gemdo[s] in North America.  How much
> is 68.00 Deutsche Mark?

If Atari Germany sold the source to Gemdos, it overstepped the bounds
of its authority.  I believe that we do not have the right to distribute
source code to Gemdos, which is, originally, a DRI product.

You can't get it (legally) in North America.

I urge you not to try, because it will create such chaos.  Atari cannot
be expected to support an OS if everybody with a C compiler can create
his own version.  Please be patient: I'm not kidding when I say the
new GEMDOS will be out soon.  (By "soon" I don't mean "next week."
I mean "sooner than you could get the source, figure it out, make any
useful changes, and debug them to the point that you would trust your
hard disk's file structure to it.")

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (02/22/88)

In article <979@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>You can't get it (legally) in North America.
>
>I urge you not to try, because it will create such chaos.  Atari cannot
>be expected to support an OS if everybody with a C compiler can create
>his own version.  Please be patient: I'm not kidding when I say the
>new GEMDOS will be out soon.  (By "soon" I don't mean "next week."
>I mean "sooner than you could get the source, figure it out, make any
>useful changes, and debug them to the point that you would trust your
>hard disk's file structure to it.")

Thats awfully true. I just recovered my harddisk from the backup...

I found out what this book is, and what it cannot give you: it is not
the compileble source of gemdos/bios/xbios.

It just gives you a closeup to the system. It gives a lot of hints to
*beware* sections and lists a couple of serious bugs.

I just hope there ist somebody with a C-Compiler *and* the complete
source (no ampersands missing...) who will recompile it and give us an
update.

hase
--

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/25/88)

in article <1416@netmbx.UUCP>, hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) says:
> I just hope there ist somebody with a C-Compiler *and* the complete
> source (no ampersands missing...) who will recompile it and give us an
> update.

There is: me.

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (03/02/88)

In article <992@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>in article <1416@netmbx.UUCP>, hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) says:
>> I just hope there ist somebody with a C-Compiler *and* the complete
>> source (no ampersands missing...) who will recompile it and give us an
>> update.
>
>There is: me.

Thank you.
That's what I wanted to read. (I gave up..).

When will we see the update (in Europe)? Will we get some kind of
"source" or hints to adapt TOS to homebrew hardware?
I just finished patching my ROMs to support the german 68020 board
PAK68. This patch was published in the ct, my favorite source of
ST-internals.
(I'm not happy with a working computer; I need a working soldering iron)
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Berlin (West) (*east of West-Germany :-)
hase@netmbx.UUCP
I think, you may be right in what I think you're thinking. (Douglas Adams)