[comp.sys.atari.st] Extended argument passing

dal@stag.UUCP (Dale Schumacher) (03/03/88)

  <juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan)> writes...
> In article <150@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
> >In article <498@uhnix2.UUCP> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) writes:
> >Would it also work to compare argv[1] from the ARGV= and from the command
> 	What can be done about accessing argv[0].  It would be nice to
> know what the name of the program running is.  I have not seen any discussion
> about this.

AAAIIEEEGH!!  You can't imagine how frustrating it is to put a lot of work
into something and have it ignored.  A few local developers spent a lot of
time and effort creating a proposed standard for passing extended arguments,
INCLUDING setting argv[0] properly.  We then had the proposal reviewed and
finally posted by Allan Pratt.  It was not "officially" endorsed by Atari,
but was recommended by Allan as a good way to handle the problems we were
trying to address.  A lengthy explaination about the method and sample source
code was posted.  And now I see "I have not seen any discussion about this."
from a person who has been on the net for quite some time.  Was this ignored?
If there were problems with the proposal, I didn't see any comments, public
or private, about it.  What does a person need to do to get some feedback
around here!

As a side note to Mark Williams Co.  The problems with your method of passing
extended argument list have been posted to the net in the past.  Those have
been addressed and resolved by this new scheme.  Source code is available FREE
for the asking.  Please consider implementing this more flexible and less
dangerous XARGS scheme.

Axiously awaiting a responce...

                Dale Schumacher
                ..ihnp4!meccts!stag!syntel!dal