[comp.sys.atari.st] Bad placing of Atari ST binaries

sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk (02/17/88)

Ahem, but I've noticed something strange going on :

Why, WHY, W  H  Y   are binaries being posted into comp.sys.atari.st ???
All other groups post to comp.binaries.<machine>...there USED to be a
comp.binaries.atari.st at my site, but it expired after 60 days due to
a lack of postings...
   Does this mean I have to sift through comp.sys.atari.st to find the
programs I want ?

Signed Richard K. Lloyd      SQRKL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX
--- I love my Mac Plus, Amiga 1000 and Archimedes A310. What ? You've only
got an ST ? You don't know what you're missing.... ---

ccs011@vega.ucdavis.edu (0058;0000016102;300;9999;94;ccs) (02/20/88)

	The primary reason that binaries are posted into comp.sys.atari.st
	is that sending them through comp.binaries... takes forever.  I
	believe the moderator of comp.bin.. had some difficutlties with
	his hard disk some time ago but programs still don't seem to be
	getting through.

						Bill Frazer
						ccs011@vega.ucdavis.edu

axel@coma.UUCP (Axel Mahler) (02/23/88)

In article <386@csvax.liv.ac.uk> sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
>Why, WHY, W  H  Y   are binaries being posted into comp.sys.atari.st ???
>All other groups post to comp.binaries.<machine>...there USED to be a
>comp.binaries.atari.st at my site, but it expired after 60 days due to
>a lack of postings...

I've been waiting some time for this matter to come up.
Richard, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st used to be moderated
newsgroups, meaning that not just EVERYbody is allowed to post his
junk there. However, moderated newsgroups completely rely on a
MODERATOR doing his job REGULARLY. Unfortunately, in this particular
case, the moderator has obviously disappeared from the net without
notice.

>   Does this mean I have to sift through comp.sys.atari.st to find the
>programs I want ?

I'm afraid this DOES mean you (and I, and many others) have to
sift through this noisegroup. I see three possible solutions to the
current dilemma:

	1. Find someone reliable with enough time and suitable resources,
	   and make that person the new moderator of comp.{src,bin}.st.
	2. Make both newsgroups unmoderated or,
	3. rm-group both groups and return to the way programs have been
	   distributed before - through comp.sys.atari.st.

Currently breaking its way is 'solution' no. 3. I hate the idea.
I'd be very much in favor of no. 1, but - in case nobody volunteers -
would prefer no. 2 over what's going on now.

I'd like to hear about other ideas, or how you folks out there feel
about the current situation, and my suggestions.

cheers, Axel.

--
Axel Mahler, Tech.Univ. Berlin

UUCP: axel@coma.uucp (unido!coma!axel)
BITNET: axel@db0tui62.bitnet

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (02/24/88)

In article <347@coma.UUCP>, axel@coma (Axel Mahler) writes:
>                               I see three possible solutions to the
> current dilemma:
>
> 	1. Find someone reliable with enough time and suitable resources,
> 	   and make that person the new moderator of comp.{src,bin}.st.
> 	2. Make both newsgroups unmoderated or,
> 	3. rm-group both groups and return to the way programs have been
> 	   distributed before - through comp.sys.atari.st.
>
> Currently breaking its way is 'solution' no. 3. I hate the idea.
> I'd be very much in favor of no. 1, but - in case nobody volunteers -
> would prefer no. 2 over what's going on now.
>
> I'd like to hear about other ideas, or how you folks out there feel
> about the current situation, and my suggestions.

I vote for 2.  3 is bad because you have to wade your way through too much stuff
just to find programs; also, there is no separation of sources and binaries.  1
is bad because it doesn't work.  Why burden one guy with so much work?  Why rely
on one guy's time (and machine) to get PD programs through to everyone?

2 is great.  I can just picture all that code coming through... No more bottlenecks.

dale@slovax.UUCP (Dale L. Thomas) (02/25/88)

> In article <347@coma.UUCP>, axel@coma (Axel Mahler) writes:
> >                               I see three possible solutions to the
> > current dilemma:
> >
> > 	1. Find someone reliable with enough time and suitable resources,
> > 	   and make that person the new moderator of comp.{src,bin}.st.
> > 	2. Make both newsgroups unmoderated or,
> > 	3. rm-group both groups and return to the way programs have been
> > 	   distributed before - through comp.sys.atari.st.
> >
> > Currently breaking its way is 'solution' no. 3. I hate the idea.
> > I'd be very much in favor of no. 1, but - in case nobody volunteers -
> > would prefer no. 2 over what's going on now.
> >
> > I'd like to hear about other ideas, or how you folks out there feel
> > about the current situation, and my suggestions.
>
> I vote for 2.  3 is bad because you have to wade your way through too much stuff
> just to find programs; also, there is no separation of sources and binaries.  1
> is bad because it doesn't work.  Why burden one guy with so much work?  Why rely
> on one guy's time (and machine) to get PD programs through to everyone?
>
> 2 is great.  I can just picture all that code coming through... No more bottlenecks.

I too would like to go with #2, for the same reasons above. Lets see some code!!
--
{psivax,ism780}!logico!slovax!dale    :   {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!slovax!dale
Dale Thomas R & D Associates,3625 Perkins Lane SW,Tacoma,Wa 98499,206-581-1322

frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) (02/26/88)

In article <2823@slovax.UUCP> dale@slovax.UUCP (Dale L. Thomas) writes:

>> > 	1. Find someone reliable with enough time and suitable resources,
>> > 	   and make that person the new moderator of comp.{src,bin}.st.
>> > 	2. Make both newsgroups unmoderated or,
>> > 	3. rm-group both groups and return to the way programs have been
>> > 	   distributed before - through comp.sys.atari.st.

I'm in favor for option 2.

Frank Geerling

			   Frank Geerling
			(frankg@nikhefk.uucp)

Usenet:		{seismo, philabs, decvax}!mcvax!frankg@nikhefk

Normal mail:	Frank Geerling
		NIKHEF-K (PIMU)
		Postbus 4395
		1009 AJ Amsterdam
		The Netherlands

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/29/88)

Those who read "news.groups" need to be aware of the discussion that
is now going on in "comp.sys.atari.st".  The situation seems to be
that sometime moderator of
	comp.binaries.atari.st
	comp.sources.atari.st
has resigned, and now some folks are posting to "comp.sys.atari.st".
We seem to agree that there is a need for these first two groups
but no volunteer has come forward.   I think that a good case ca
be made for removing the "moderated" classification, and allowing
general postings, even with the "bad software" problems that are
likely to arise.  Perhaps another volunteer will come forward once
the need for moderation becomes clear again.
Here is a sample of recent discussion.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

acn@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (03/04/88)

I wouldn't mind being the moderator for either or both groups.
Who do I contact to become the moderator?

Jon Brode  --  acn@caen.engin.umich.edu
.