[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems w/uue files at ATARINET

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (02/17/88)

I've recently downloaded a number of programs from ATARINET.  Three of them
had ARC problems; both UUDECODE and ARC were executed on my ST.
(The same errors would show up also under Unix(tm).)  They are:

 - MOSHE.UUE	ARC complained about CRC error at UUENCODE.TTP!!
 - KRABAT11.UUE	  ARC stated that OPENINGS.ARC was truncated.  DeARCing
		OPENINGS.ARC mentioned that WOLGA.OPN was truncated.
 - STUUCP.UUE	ARC complained about CRC error at zztime.h

Could someone send me, or tell me where, the missing files?  Have others
successfully downloaded one of these files?  It would be nice that all
programs at ATARINET (and the other BITNET servers) would be *all* downloadable!

Send anything directly to me; I don't have access to the newsgroups.

Thanks again to the net!!

Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\
+(33) 61-33-62-66	       | BITNET/EARN:  SOBEK@FRMOP11        \ to UUCP )
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

gpm@dukempd.UUCP (Guy Metcalfe) (02/20/88)

In article <8802161806.AA08176@lasso.laas.fr> ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
>successfully downloaded one of these files?  It would be nice that all
>programs at ATARINET (and the other BITNET servers) would be *all* downloadable!
What would really be nice is if everyone could access all the servers.  Some
of us, me for instance, can't get to Houston at all.  In the interest of
bringing about the widest possible distribution of information and programs,
I would like to suggest that the people who run the servers at Canada and
Houston (and elsewhere including a new server in England I just read about)
get together and try to maintain a common set of files.  I appreciate the
effort these people put forth just to make life easier for the rest of us.
If everyone could access all the files planted on servers, then even more
could we appreciate and applaude their efforts.

--
	Guy Metcalfe                            gpm@dukempd.uucp
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	mcnc!duke!dukempd!gpm

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) (03/01/88)

I must take exception to the comments about files not working from ATARINET.
ALL programs have been tested before being sent to ATARINET.  My usual path
is to send the file to the UNIX, uudecode it, dearc it, and if it dearcs ok,
then I assume the files are ok.  I also take ALL new programs and place them
on a DISK OF THE MONTH for my users' group, so I know they work on the ST, too.
If it then dearcs ok, I re-uuencode it (if it doesn't have a character at the
end of each line, to prevent space truncation), or leave it as is.

The problem is REALLY brain-damaged gateways that do BAD translations of
characters.  If you have gotten UUX UUE from ATARINET, this takes care of
almost all problems.  The problem is definitely not ATARINET!

- Mike

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

jesper@diku.dk (Jesper L. Lauritsen) (03/04/88)

In article <500@uhnix2.UUCP> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) writes:
>The problem is REALLY brain-damaged gateways that do BAD translations of
>characters.  If you have gotten UUX UUE from ATARINET, this takes care of
>almost all problems.  The problem is definitely not ATARINET!
Sure isn't, I have got lots of programs from ATARINET - thanks to UACE.
I do however have to fix all files before I uudecode. The problem is that
our local VM system uses the Danish version of the EBCDIC character set,
and the conversion from US EBCDIC is not done very well. I sugest that
you try to download one of the newer files encoded with the newest version
of uuencode. These files contain a table of the characters used. If you are
in luck you may be able to deduce from that table what characters to
change. It would defenitly be a help i all files was decod with the
newest decoder.

------
Jesper L.Lauritsen, U of Copenhagen, jesper@diku.UUCP or ibtjll@dkuccc11.BITNET