[comp.sys.atari.st] Symbol table?

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (03/04/88)

While fixing the GNU linker so that it'd run on my ST, I had just
finished the part that writes the symbol table into the executable file,
when I realized that I couldn't think of anything that would use it once
I'd written it (!)  Is there anything that can make use of the symbol
info in an executable?

Also, when one loads an executable, where in memory does the symbol info
get loaded?  Does the TPA point to it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) (03/07/88)

In article <19880303204623.4.JRD@GRACKLE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:

>  Is there anything that can make use of the symbol
>info in an executable?
Of course, SID (comes with Atari's Dev Kit) does it.  I don't like SID too
much, but when you've got no choice, it's better than nothing...
We've used it a lot when we ported Smalltalk-80 to the Atari.  We used the
C-compiler on a unix system (to minimize portability hassles) and converted
the binary into the Atari executable format (all on the unix box).
Only the binary was tranferred to the Atari.

>Also, when one loads an executable, where in memory does the symbol info
>get loaded?  Does the TPA point to it?
nope, it is not loaded when a program is executed normally.  Only debuggers
should read it in and make use of it.

	Hans-Martin

PS: how many other language systems for the atari produce symbol tables
or have a debugger capable of reading it ?
--
Hans-Martin Mosner		| Don't tell Borland about Smalltalk - |
hmm@unido.{uucp,bitnet}		| they might invent Turbo Smalltalk !  |

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (03/08/88)

In article <19880303204623.4.JRD@GRACKLE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:

 >While fixing the GNU linker so that it'd run on my ST, I had just
 >finished the part that writes the symbol table into the executable file,
 >when I realized that I couldn't think of anything that would use it once
 >I'd written it (!)  Is there anything that can make use of the symbol
 >info in an executable?

Debuggers can.

 >Also, when one loads an executable, where in memory does the symbol info
 >get loaded?  Does the TPA point to it?

The normal program loader discards it. SID and DDT load programs differently,
and keep the info around.

- Bruce
* Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict       uunet!amdahl!drivax!holloway *
* ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                            ALBATROSS @ Delphi *
************Cuzqoirm mluyh, "Ulu! Buyrf xumh megjux ubb nuth juq!"*************