[comp.sys.atari.st] Abaq OS, what is it ?

) (03/02/88)

Excuse a question, I am not uptodate at all.
  Will the Abaq run UNIX ? Which one ?

I heard a cruel joke from a friend, that the author of AmigaDOS is
writing the MS-DOS compatible OS for the Abaq.
He was kidding of course ? (Wasn't he *PANIC* ?!?)
Loveletters & Hatemail to : wallman@yalecs     (Arpa UUCP Use)
                 Files to : WALLMANN@CTSTATEU  (Bitnet)
"The CPU is from Motorola
 The RAM is from Hitachi
 The Operating System is from DRI
 and the MMU is from Fancy Feast"

gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) (03/02/88)

In article <24297@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> wallman-george@CS.Yale.EDU (Natuerlich!) writes:
>Excuse a question, I am not uptodate at all.
>  Will the Abaq run UNIX ? Which one ?
>
>I heard a cruel joke from a friend, that the author of AmigaDOS is
>writing the MS-DOS compatible OS for the Abaq.
>He was kidding of course ? (Wasn't he *PANIC* ?!?)

The OS for the ABAQ (if that's what it will be called: there are rumours that
there is a Belgian company selling a games computer of the same name -) )
will be HELIOS. This OS is being written by a british company called
Perihelion. HELIOS is based on UNIX and on the distributed operating system
Amoeba developed by A.S. Tanenbaum (you know: the one that did MINIX). Amoeba
is a capability based distributed operating system, and HELIOS is too.

HELIOS is being written in C and transputer assembler NOT IN OCCAM. Most of
the system calls of UNIX (V7 and some BSD) are equivalent, though more system
calls are available to take advantage of the transputer architecture. Those
system services include spawning processes on remote processors and inter
process communication (IPC) using a message passing system. UNIX pipes are
also (I think) implemented on top of the IPC, so pipes can be stretched
across different computing nodes.

More info can be had from Perihelion or Atari UK (I don't have the addresses
right now).

Gert Poletiek

NIKHEF-H, Dutch National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics
          Kruislaan 409, P.O.Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:     {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!nikhefh!gert
bitnet:   nikhefh!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet

drs@bnl.ARPA (David R. Stampf) (03/03/88)

In article <438@nikhefh.hep.nl> gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) writes:
>In article <24297@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> wallman-george@CS.Yale.EDU (Natuerlich!) writes:
>>Excuse a question, I am not uptodate at all.
>>  Will the Abaq run UNIX ? Which one ?
>>

>The OS for the ABAQ (if that's what it will be called: there are rumours that
>there is a Belgian company selling a games computer of the same name -) )
>will be HELIOS. This OS is being written by a british company called
>Perihelion. HELIOS is based on UNIX and on the distributed operating system
>Amoeba developed by A.S. Tanenbaum (you know: the one that did MINIX). Amoeba
>is a capability based distributed operating system, and HELIOS is too.
>
>HELIOS is being written in C and transputer assembler NOT IN OCCAM. Most of
>the system calls of UNIX (V7 and some BSD) are equivalent, though more system
>calls are available to take advantage of the transputer architecture. Those
>system services include spawning processes on remote processors and inter
>process communication (IPC) using a message passing system. UNIX pipes are
>also (I think) implemented on top of the IPC, so pipes can be stretched
>across different computing nodes.
>
>More info can be had from Perihelion or Atari UK (I don't have the addresses
>right now).
>

>Gert Poletiek

I sent in my $100 to Perihelion to become a registered developer last year and so
far have received only one thin manual - supposedly a system calls manual.  I was
so impressed with how close it was to unix that I kicked myself in the butt 12 times,
saved up my pennies for a few months and went out and bought a Mac last week.  The
people who developed it may have had Unix at the back of their minds, but they
certainly didn't set a goal for themselves of being source code compatable - in the
way that MINIX is (with V7).

With Ataris track record for getting things out the door (I'm still waiting for the
official Docs, blitter upgrade, rom fixes, PC add on box, a reasonable laser printer)
and the way the workstation market looks today - strict unix compliance, competative
prices and the dominance of a hand full of companies - I just don't see the world
jumping over to the people who brought you pong.  Nor do I see the major software
houses jumping to support a computer which cannot provide a simple secure computer
system - There is no hardware support for protecting memory space - the manual says
something like - support for multi-tasking is an interesting exercise - Shudder.

Anyway, anyone who believes that perihelion will be a force in the workstation market
any time this century, is welcome to contact me.  Maybe we can transfer my developer
status.

By the way - it was sooooooo nice to be able to walk into a bookstore and pick up
$100 worth of books that told me everything that I want to know about the Mac.  If I
only could have done that a year ago for the ST (as was promised by Neil).

	< dave

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (03/05/88)

The phrase 'THE AUTHOR OF AMIGADOS' is perhaps a bit strong.  However, in
essence this is true.

On the other hand, (and, much as I love my ST, and much as I worry about
starting another round of flame wars), AmigaDOS is OK, really.  (Personally,
I prefer GEM/TOS, but that's a totally subjective judgement.)

And, to the people who've been offering to explain multi-tasking to me,
GO AWAY!  I've been using it since probably well before most of you had cut
your second pair of teeth.  I'm *still* not convinced it's a good idea in
an environment where the tasks are not protected from each other.

Thanks.

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (03/05/88)

wallman-george@CS.Yale.EDU (Natuerlich!) writes:
>I heard a cruel joke from a friend, that the author of AmigaDOS is
>writing the MS-DOS compatible OS for the Abaq.
>He was kidding of course ? (Wasn't he *PANIC* ?!?)

Nope.  The principle programmer for Perihelion is Tim King, the very
same guy that wrote AmigaDOS.  You'd better hope he's learned something
since then.  ( NO :-)

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/08/88)

in article <24297@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, wallman-george@CS.Yale.EDU (Natuerlich!) says:

> I heard a cruel joke from a friend, that the author of AmigaDOS is
> writing the MS-DOS compatible OS for the Abaq.
> He was kidding of course ? (Wasn't he *PANIC* ?!?)

No panic here.  But it is true that the author of the original DOS portions
of the Amiga OS (generally considered in the Amiga community to be the parts
most needing rework, and in fact which have been reworked), Tim King, is the
guy responsible for the Abaq software.

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy