[comp.sys.atari.st] Bad placing of Atari ST binarie

ferneau@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (03/03/88)

I for one have to agree with Mr. Dickey.  It seems that for quite
a while (at least one month) there have been no new postings to
the comp.(src/bin).atari.st newsgroups.  If the newsgroup is
moderated, as it has been recently, the same situation might occur.

It is unfair that anyone on the net must rely on a single person to
take care of all the postings.  It does seem fair, however, to set
down a few groundrules dealing with the situation.  For instance,
every program should be arced, and uuencoded.  The has been the
standard method in the past, and seems to work fairly well.  Another
rule might be that all software be fairly well tested before it is posted
as we don't want to fill up the groups with garbage.

Please enter my vote for comp.(src/bin).atari.st becoming unmoderated.

ferneau@silver.bacs.indiana.edu  *  Mark Ferneau
ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!silver!ferneau *
ferneau@silver.UUCP              *  'This Space Intentionally left blank'

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (03/04/88)

In article <11400011@silver>, ferneau@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

< (a reasonable defense of unmoderated postings...)

This is a pretty obvious point, at least from where I'm standing...or
maybe it's just my New Yorker paranoia showing...  but has it occurred
to any of those of you who are pushing for the unmoderated group that
there will be a real problem with Trojan horses getting posted?

Now, granted moderation has in the past introduced unreasonable delays
into the distribution process, but as I see it malicious postings of
dangerous programs should be a real concern of those of you who want
unmoderated postings.  A moderator isn't just a bureaucratic bottleneck
for postings; he or she serves as "point-man" for the community, going on
ahead, trying out new stuff, and maybe getting a fried hard disk for all
the trouble.

I believe "ferneau" said something about all posted software being
reasonably well-tested before posting.  Who do you propose to take over
this job in an unmoderated group? If we could trust everyone else out
there, an unmoderated group might work out.
But we can't.

Anyway, I've said my bit, and will shut up now.
-Antonio Romero      romero@mind.princeton.edu
	"Trust, but verify."

ferneau@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (03/06/88)

> < (a reasonable defense of unmoderated postings...)
> maybe it's just my New Yorker paranoia showing...  but has it occurred
> to any of those of you who are pushing for the unmoderated group that
> there will be a real problem with Trojan horses getting posted?

> I believe "ferneau" said something about all posted software being
> reasonably well-tested before posting.  Who do you propose to take over
> this job in an unmoderated group? If we could trust everyone else out
> there, an unmoderated group might work out.
> But we can't.

Wrong, what "romero" obviously does not realize is that whenever one calls a
bulletin board and downloads programs, the same problem may occur--the
program may be a trojan horse program and trash the hard disk, etc.

The fact that there is a system operator in charge of the bbs does not
stop these occurances.  Many sysops do not have the time to test out
every feature of every program which is posted to their board.

I find it hard to believe that someone is going to take the time to
archive, uuencode and upload a trojan horse program to the net.
Maybe it is my trust in people, but I don't think it is going to happen.
I think we can trust the fellow netters out there.

al671@unh.UUCP (Anthony Lapadula) (03/08/88)

In article <11400012@silver>, ferneau@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>I find it hard to believe that someone is going to take the time to
>archive, uuencode and upload a trojan horse program to the net.
>Maybe it is my trust in people, but I don't think it is going to happen.
>I think we can trust the fellow netters out there.

Oh, I suppose that anyone devious enough to write a virus would not
want to distribute it as far and wide as s/he could?  Granted,
BBS sysops (and BITNET moderators) won't catch all buggy/malicious
code, but I'd rather know that someone else has tried a program on
their equipment before I try it on mine.

>ferneau@silver.bacs.indiana.edu  *  Mark Ferneau
>ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!silver!ferneau *
>ferneau@silver.UUCP              *  'This Space Intentionally left blank'

I sometimes post to rec.humor -- excuse the .signature:

/***********************************************************************/
/*                What, you wanted something funny?                    */
/*                           --- Anthony Lapadula                      */
/*                               (That's unh!al671 to you!)            */

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (03/08/88)

In article <11400012@silver>, ferneau@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>I find it hard to believe that someone is going to take the time to
>archive, uuencode and upload a trojan horse program to the net.

I can not cite particular examples, but I think that such
things have gone around.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu