[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Advertising Idea

rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (rich kolker) (02/29/88)

Okay folks at Atari (I know you're out there) here's an idea for ST
advertising.

In all of the interminable up-close-and-personal features ABC ran during
the Olympics, there was one on Debi Thomas, figure skater and pre-med
student using her computer.  Well, look at that, it's an Atari ST
(looks like a 1040).

Now, this would have been better if Debi had won the gold, but she is
a role model, not only as a skater but as a student, and if you want
to show the ST as a serious computer, maybe sell a few to college
students, she sounds like a perfect spokesperson to me...and she
already chose the machine!

Just an idea.

++rich
 +--------------------------------------------------------------------^-------+
 |  Rich Kolker                 The work goes on...                 A|W|A     |
 |  8519 White Pine Drive        The cause endures...               H|T|H     |
 |  Manassas Park, VA 22111        The hope still lives...          /|||\     |
 |  (703)361-1290 (h)           And the dream shall never die.     /_|T|_\    |
 |  (703)749-2315 (w)  (..uunet!netxcom!rkolker)                    " W "     |
 +------------------------------------------------------------------V---V-----+

roger_warren_tang@cup.portal.com (03/02/88)

  Using Debi Thomas as a spokesperson makes much too much sense (as well as
being too expensive, eaven at bronze medal prices) for Atari to ever do.

  This is aside from the misbegotten perception that the computing world is
too lily white in the eyes of the ad executives to accept a person of color
as a spokes person (ever wonder why there are no endorsements for the top
black tennis players?).

rjung@sal11.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/03/88)

In article <690@netxcom.UUCP> rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (rich kolker) writes:
>Okay folks at Atari (I know you're out there) here's an idea for ST
>advertising.
>
>In all of the interminable up-close-and-personal features ABC ran during
>the Olympics, there was one on Debi Thomas, figure skater and pre-med
>student using her computer.  Well, look at that, it's an Atari ST
>(looks like a 1040).
>
>Now, this would have been better if Debi had won the gold, but she is
>a role model, not only as a skater but as a student, and if you want
>to show the ST as a serious computer, maybe sell a few to college
>students, she sounds like a perfect spokesperson to me...and she
>already chose the machine!
>
>Just an idea.

	And a darned good one, too. I didn't see the shot you mentioned, but it
sounds good to me.

	Heck, while we're at it, let's get the Pointer Sisters into the act.
If STart magazine is to be bvelieved (why not, they're nice guys), they
loved the ST so much that they were willing to do a "free" promotion of the
machine -- in exchange for an ST and lots of MIDI software...

	(Voiceover): "Debi Thomas on computers..."

	(Debi Thomas): "Training for the Winter Olympics is a
		dedicated effort. I have to spend a lot of my
		time training, and what little time is left goes
		into my school work. That's why my computer
		of choice is the Atari ST..."

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. My other idea would be a magazine layout; The first page would be a
copy of Apple's "And now, a computer for the rest of us..." (same fonts,
colors, wording), then you turn the page over and see a Mega...

Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) (03/04/88)

>   Using Debi Thomas as a spokesperson makes much too much sense (as well as
> being too expensive, eaven at bronze medal prices) for Atari to ever do.
>
>   This is aside from the misbegotten perception that the computing world is
> too lily white in the eyes of the ad executives to accept a person of color
> as a spokes person (ever wonder why there are no endorsements for the top
> black tennis players?).

Nonsense.  Remember when Mr. T was the spokesman for the Imsai 998800 ?
That was the one with the massively perpendicular architecture.  As I
recall, it was for hardcore hackers because it used no monitor.
The OS was Unith 0.3 (written in Lithp).

Is "Microsoft" a comment on Bill Gates' masculinity?

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (03/04/88)

"
" +--------------------------------------------------------------------^-------+
" |  Rich Kolker                 The work goes on...                 A|W|A     |
" |  8519 White Pine Drive        The cause endures...               H|T|H     |
" |  Manassas Park, VA 22111        The hope still lives...          /|||\     |
" |  (703)361-1290 (h)           And the dream shall never die.     /_|T|_\    |
" |  (703)749-2315 (w)  (..uunet!netxcom!rkolker)                    " W "     |
" +------------------------------------------------------------------V---V-----+

	Debi's brother teaches math at the same high school where my Mom is
librarian.  He likes Debi's ST so much, he's planning on getting one himself.
How about a team ad?  Sounds like a perfect match.

	While we're at it, Debi's Mom could be in there to.  I met her once at
the computer store I work for.  She is a very pleasant, articulate person.
Besides, she gave Debi some ST software for Christmas!

					Matthew Seitz

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (03/04/88)

In article <3623@cup.portal.com>, roger_warren_tang@cup.portal.com writes:

>   Using Debi Thomas as a spokesperson makes much too much sense (as well as
> being too expensive, eaven at bronze medal prices) for Atari to ever do.

I don't believe that it would be anywhere as expensive as an actor or top
professional sports personality.  I think this idea has a lot of merit and
I hope Atari considers it seriously.

>   This is aside from the misbegotten perception that the computing world is
> too lily white in the eyes of the ad executives to accept a person of color
> as a spokes person (ever wonder why there are no endorsements for the top
> black tennis players?).

Someone must have forgotten to tell the ad executives that Bill Cosby is
black ( :-) ).  Actually, I also see Arthur Ash is an ad for an aspirin
product even today.  I think the main problem with black tennis players
is that there isn't anyone with name recognition that the majority of
the public will instantly say 'oh, that's (substitute any name you can
think of here)'.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (03/05/88)

In article <3623@cup.portal.com> roger_warren_tang@cup.portal.com writes:
>  This is aside from the misbegotten perception that the computing world is
>too lily white in the eyes of the ad executives to accept a person of color
>as a spokes person (ever wonder why there are no endorsements for the top
>black tennis players?).

Didn't seem to bother Texas Instruments too much when they got Bill
Cosby as their spokesman.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

roger_warren_tang@cup.portal.com (03/08/88)

  Of course, a 40 share on Thursdays can do a LOT of mind changing.....

   The truth is, of course, a black has be a bigger star with bigger clout
than an equivalent white.  Superstars are superstars; it's the next rung down
that has the problems.

ugthomps@sunybcs.uucp (Gregory Thompson) (03/09/88)

Recently on a cabled episode of AIRWOLF they showed a "computer center"
oof sorts in the mountain where they keep airwolf.  Lo and behold the
keyboard to this computer center was an ST.  Looked like a 1040 too.

Maybe if atari sold more computers to the movie business *wink* *grin*

                            - greg