[comp.sys.atari.st] Computer Mail Order, Inc. looooong shipping delay

#FJMORA@WMMVS.BITNET (03/03/88)

It seems that it is quite hard to buy a 1040 ST today.
I ordered an Atari 1040 plus some peripherals (modem, printer...)
from Computer Mail Order. It was Jan. 21, 1988. I paid with a cashier's
check to avoid the usual 4-week (!) check clearance delay.
Since they got my check, they keep promising to send it to me
"in a couple of weeks" with some "in 10 days" variations. Note that they
admitted my complaints on their 800 lines (a good point).

One week ago they promised to send it to me "next week, for sure". OK, I'm
waiting. I will tell you if they actually do it.
But can anyone tell me if CMO is normally so slow to ship you what
you paid for? To begin with, has any STist ever gotten anything from them ?

And some retailers complain that since Atari purchased Federated, they
dump all the STs they make into the Federated warehouse, and that
independant retailers just can't have STs. Is that true?

I feel that there are enough experienced ST material buyers on this
net to provide some useful purchase guidelines. Please give me your
opinion directly, or post it, and I will compile some retailer
statistics from this advice.

Frederic Mora
#FJMORA@wmmvs

     *                                                                        *
     * "Was uns nicht vertoetet, verstaerkt uns."                             *
     *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
     *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *
     *                                                                        *

(But in this case I call it overkill.)

rjung@sal22.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/08/88)

In article <8803022013.AA23316@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> #FJMORA@WMMVS.BITNET writes:
>And some retailers complain that since Atari purchased Federated, they
>dump all the STs they make into the Federated warehouse, and that
>independant retailers just can't have STs. Is that true?

  Not from what I've heard. There's a local Atari-only store near L.A.
called Logical Choice, and they've been getting Mega ST's and other hardware
without problems. I've heard, however, that there is a shortage of ST's in
America in general (apparently they're going over to Europe, where everybody
is buying them like hotcakes [can anyone confirm?])...Seems us AmericAtarians
will have to wait awhile...

  On a similar vein, Sam Tramiel/Neil Harris admitted on GEnie that they've
been neglecting the US market quite a bit, to focus on overseas sales...

						--R.J.
						B-)
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) (03/08/88)

here's mine: I've made 2 credit card purchases from them.  Last Summer they
had a 1040 ST mono in my hands 10 days after the order, and in the Fall, they
did even better with a Thomson Ultrascan monitor.  There are enough delayed
ST availability complaints around that I'd believe that Atari is promising
but not shipping to everybody (doesn't sound like something they'd do...)

mikeh@hplsla.HP.COM ( Mike Hall) (03/08/88)

> One week ago they promised to send it to me "next week, for sure". OK, I'm
> waiting. I will tell you if they actually do it.
> But can anyone tell me if CMO is normally so slow to ship you what
> you paid for? To begin with, has any STist ever gotten anything from them ?

I bought my 1040 ST from CMO, and it was prompt in being sent (everything
was in stock :-),  but if you order something that is not in stock, it
can take forever to get it.  They don't seem to really know when an
item might be in stock again.

----------
Mike Hall

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (03/09/88)

In article <3338@chinet.UUCP> saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

>...There are enough delayed
>ST availability complaints around that I'd believe that Atari is promising
>but not shipping to everybody (doesn't sound like something they'd do...)

with the way atari is clamping down on retailers, and the fact that they
currently have NO SH204 hard drives in stock, i suspect the problems are
with atari and it's primary distribution chain and not the retailers.

-bill