[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari: no-support

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (03/12/88)

In article <1010@atari.UUCP>, good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:
>In article <188@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:
>We have recently polled Atari enthusiasts on BIX, Compuserve and GEnie
>regarding input on fixes and enhancements for the forthcoming TOS. I
>guarantee we won't please everyone, but we'll try. The responses received
>have been summarized to about 12 pages. At an average of about 2 lines each,
>it runs to around 200 comments. We are very pleased with this level of
>response, as it shows a good degree of cooperation from the user base.
>In addition, we have solicited, and received, input from all of our
>subsidiaries.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^ you don't really think they asked anybody?
>We will publish a list of features on all services as soon as we are confident>of the final content of this next release, together with a summary of the
>major changes NOT made, with reasons.
>We are committed to improving support, not just for the ST/Mega line but
>also for the forthcoming 68030/UNIX line. I am sure you all understand that
>getting support people with the right mentality to provide pro-active
>support, and training them in the peculiar architecture and quirks of the
>Atari product line, is not an overnight magical happening.
>But happen it will.

Getting up on the soap box......

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY
does Atari continue to insult or ignore the people which enabled Atari to
survive this long and which are the largest part of the ST user and
developer community, the europeans!

Ignore: see Roy Good's article, when did Atari ask how we like
        GEMDOS, how we (dis)like the non-english language support
        (example: the hardwired use of the <Alternate> key), what
        bugs we want fixed, what features we would like? And the
        continuing non-support of developers here has been
        discussed more than once (that's why asking the subsideries
        is no good).

Insult: a large part of the early ST buyers here got essentialy broken
        or sub spec machines (missing signals on the monitor socket,
        broken joystick ports, sup spec DMA, GLUE and MMU chips), when
        did we get a $95 upgrade offer (as offered to US customers)?
        And then the people which Atari appointed as managers of the
        local Atari subsidiaries, like Atari Germany which can't tell
        a computer from a toaster.......

I'm sure one day Atari will get the deserved returns for this, but for
now the european ST-users are the cows that can be milked to the last
drop (and finance $60'000'000 deals).

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (03/15/88)

In article <195@forty2.UUCP> poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:
>        And then the people which Atari appointed as managers of the
>        local Atari subsidiaries, like Atari Germany which can't tell
>        a computer from a toaster.......
True.
Awfully true.

But some of the so called 'magazines' on the german market are doing
their best to make Atari look like a company producing only vaporware.
They listen to the latest rumors and wishes and dreams of some
ignorants, add the term 'announcement directly from ATARI' and give it
to print.

>I'm sure one day Atari will get the deserved returns for this, but for
>now the european ST-users are the cows that can be milked to the last
>drop (and finance $60'000'000 deals).
They already get the returns: nobody believes in the power of the ST.
The ST is selling only in the department stores shops no professional
would seek for...
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Berlin (West) (*east of West-Germany :-)
hase@netmbx.UUCP