[comp.sys.atari.st] A cure looking for a disease?

051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) (03/08/88)

A program called VDU_2_0.PRG has been posted to the FILESERVers at
CANADA01 and UHUPVM1.  It is claimed that it will cure the 'Boot sector'
virus and immunize the disk from future infection with this virus.

Does anybody have any information about this virus, its mode of
infection, mechanism, symptoms or how wide-spread it may have become?

Please post replies to the net.  Most people will be interested.  /JT

John Turnbull,          NetNorth: 051332@uottawa
30 Somerset Ave,        BITNET:   051332@uottawa
Dept. of Biology,       ARPAnet:  051332%uottawa.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Univ. of Ottawa,        UUCP:     ...!psuvax1!051332%uottawa.BITNET
Ottawa,  Ontario,       JANET:    051332%uottawa@rl.earn
CANADA,  K1N 6N5.       ICBM:     45 25' 33'' N  75 39' 05'' W

davidli@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Meile) (03/09/88)

In article <8803081650.AA29358@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) writes:

>A program called VDU_2_0.PRG has been posted to the FILESERVers at
>CANADA01 and UHUPVM1.  It is claimed that it will cure the 'Boot sector'
>virus and immunize the disk from future infection with this virus.
>
>Does anybody have any information about this virus, its mode of
>infection, mechanism, symptoms or how wide-spread it may have become?

The program is legitimate.  There has been a virus located and dissected
in Europe.  I first heard about it a month ago, when I got the back
issues of an informational disk called ST NEWS from Richard Karsmakers from
The Netherlands.  He was *quite* furious when the virus was discovered.

I haven't personally looked at the program on CANADA01, but I *do* have
all copies of ST NEWS relative to the virus, its detection and quashing.
If you'd like to see a copy of ST NEWS and read about the whole thing
yourself, you can send me a disk and return postage (or two disks for
the last two issues).  I wrote to ST NEWS and now I [and our local user
group, MAST] will be distributing the disk in the U.S.

I can't write much more about the subject, since I haven't paid all that
much attention till mid-February.  The 'details' are on the disk.  The
VDU program was, I believe, written in GFA BASIC.

If you want to see the issues discussing the virus, send a disk (or two)
and enough postage to get them back to you to:

	Dave Meile
	Box 13038
	Minneapolis, MN  55414

Future (and back) issues will be handled via MAST.  Look for an announcement.

-- Dave Meile

rjung@sal23.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/10/88)

In article <8803081650.AA29358@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) writes:
>A program called VDU_2_0.PRG has been posted to the FILESERVers at
>CANADA01 and UHUPVM1.  It is claimed that it will cure the 'Boot sector'
>virus and immunize the disk from future infection with this virus.
>
>Does anybody have any information about this virus, its mode of
>infection, mechanism, symptoms or how wide-spread it may have become?
>
>Please post replies to the net.  Most people will be interested.  /JT

  Yes, this is interesting, especially since I find it hard for a virus to
proliferate on a microcomputer (since it gets coldstarted quite often,
relative to mainframes, where these things are easy).

  I'm also interested in what this virus does. Rumor mill in the L.A.
area has it that there are at least two viruses running around, but I
can't confirm (supposedly one is from Germany, and ST-Express has a program
to "find" it). There is also a utility program and a desk accessory
that's supposed to "check" your disks for the virus. Whether or not they
really work is another matter.

  A local ST programmer here says that he's dissected the code, and while
he doesn't know exactly what it does (either that, or he's not telling me),
it "modifieds the disk I/O buffers in some manner"...Sounds like bad news
to me.

  Any virus information would be handy. Just what DOES this thing do, anyway?

						--R.J.,
						sharing information
						B-)

P.S. Has anyone else heard the rumor that (one of) the Amiga virus programs
is designed to cause "a massive worldwide screw-up" on some prespecified date?
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

In article <4235@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) writes:
>In article <8803081650.AA29358@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) writes:
>>Does anybody have any information about this virus, its mode of
>>infection, mechanism, symptoms or how wide-spread it may have become?
>
>The program is legitimate.  There has been a virus located and dissected
>in Europe.  I first heard about it a month ago, when I got the back
>issues of an informational disk called ST NEWS from Richard Karsmakers from
>The Netherlands.  He was *quite* furious when the virus was discovered.

  Can you post a short summary of what is the purpose of the virus (ie,
what was it supposed to do)? There's been a lot of (now confirmed)
talks about the ST virus, but no one I've met can tell me just what it does.

						--R.J.
						B-)

What kind of a twisted mind would write such a thing?

mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) (03/10/88)

In article <8803081650.AA29358@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) writes:

>A program called VDU_2_0.PRG has been posted to the FILESERVers at
>CANADA01 and UHUPVM1.  It is claimed that it will cure the 'Boot sector'
>virus and immunize the disk from future infection with this virus.
>
>Does anybody have any information about this virus, its mode of
>infection, mechanism, symptoms or how wide-spread it may have become?
>
>Please post replies to the net.  Most people will be interested.  /JT
>
>John Turnbull,          NetNorth: 051332@uottawa

The magazine ST Applications warned of a virus being spread around via
"disks from W. Germany". They did not give any information on how the
virus is spreading (ie part of a larger program?), but the disk for
this issue is supposed to have a virus detecting program on it. No
info as to exactly what damage the virus is capable of doing either.

--Patrick Simon   mpsimon@phoenix.princeton.edu    3/9/88

Usenet_News_Of_221/162@isishq.UUCP (Usenet News Of 221/162) (03/11/88)

From: rjung@sal23.usc.edu (Robert Jung)
Date: 9 Mar 88 18:43:43 GMT

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: watmath!isis!171![userid] (1:221/171)
SEEN-BY: 221/0 162 171 171

unpowell@csvax.liv.ac.uk (03/16/88)

In article <8803081650.AA29358@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) writes:

>A program called VDU_2_0.PRG has been posted to the FILESERVers at
>CANADA01 and UHUPVM1.  It is claimed that it will cure the 'Boot sector'
>virus and immunize the disk from future infection with this virus.
>
>Does anybody have any information about this virus, its mode of
>infection, mechanism, symptoms or how wide-spread it may have become?
>
>Please post replies to the net.  Most people will be interested.  /JT
>
>John Turnbull,          NetNorth: 051332@uottawa

	I've seen an ST virus, I don't if we're all talking about one or
many viruses here.
	The way it worked was by altering the MEDIACH vector (I think),
location $472, to point to itself. Then whenever a disk is swapped, and
TOS calls the media change handler, the virus is executed. The virus then
calls the normal media change handler (and the BIOS parameter block is read
from the disk), the virus then wrote itself onto the new disk.
	The virus did do a little bit of checking on the newly inserted
disk before it read itself in. If the new disk already had a virus on it
with a higher generation number (yes it keeps a count of how many times
it has reproduced) it would read this new version into memory and make it
the "resident" virus. It also some other checks on the boot sector of the
new disk, which I'm not quite sure about. It seemed to be checking the boot
sector for a particular program and if it found it, it would execute it.
I'm not sure, but it could be waiting for a second virus to come along which
would maybe cause it to become malicious....

 "...there's no success   JANET unpowell@uk.ac.lis.csvax
  like failure and        UUCP  {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!lis-cs!unpowell
  failure's no success    ARPA  unpowell%csvax.lis.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
  at all..." B.Dylan