[comp.sys.atari.st] UW for ST

katzung@laidbak.UUCP (02/26/87)

>From: atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell)
>In article <1987Feb21.001121.12535@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> pete@gpu.utcs.UUCP
(Peter Santangeli) writes:
>>       ... I am currently
>>	working on a UW (unix windows) client module for the ST. If
>>	there is enough interest in it, I'll post the binary...
>>						Pete. (pete@utcs)

     UW for the ST already exists... I'm using it at this very moment.
The version I'm using was developed by Hans-Martin Mosner (unido!hmm)
of the Federal Republic of Germany.  It is freeware (not public domain)
and includes sources.

>What exactly does UW do?  Also, is there a possibility of running it on
>top of MINIX (once the port to the ST is done)?
>Bart atwell@utah-cs.arpa

     UW, originally written by John Bruner for the MAC, multiplexes one or
more terminal sessions over a single connection such as an rs232 line, using
4.2BSD pseudo-ttys on the host Un*x system.  Each terminal session runs in
a dedicated window (on the MAC).  The most recent MAC version has terminal
emulations for the Adm31, VT52, VT100, and Tektronix 4010.  Mouse support
and remote window creation is also provided.

     The ST version is a very basic implementation, with only adm31 emulation
and none of the other goodies.  It must use XON/XOFF occasionally when
scrolling short to medium lines at 2400 baud.  One of my colleages and I are
investigating several improvements to improve performance and functionality.

-- Brian Katzung  ihnp4!laidbak!katzung

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (03/16/88)

---------

i've had src for unix side of uw for some time but cannot locate ST side
(easily). could you please post this version? source and all...

thanx

-bill