[comp.sys.atari.st] Msg of Thursday, 17 March 1988 02:19-EST

COMSAT@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Communications Satellite) (03/17/88)

FAILED: TETHER at MITLNS.MIT.EDU; Funny reply from foreign host after sending message.
	Last reply was: {554 Unable to deliver mail to given recipient(s)}
 Failed message follows:
-------
Date: Wed 16 Mar 88 20:42:56 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #122
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Sender:     Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, March 16, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 122

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                      Re: shrink-wrap copying...
             Re: Magazine programs (was Re: I need help!)
             Re: Magazine programs (was Re: I need help!)
                       MORE on the 16Mhz board
                            Re: DBs for ST
                      Re: Blitter and Assempro ?
                        Re: IBM PC -> Atari ST
                         Re: Three questions.
                      Re: UniTerm 2.1a wishlist
              Re: A cure looking for a disease? (I hope)
                       Migraph postpones PS...

Date: 8 Mar 88 18:13:53 GMT
From: trwrb!cadovax!gryphon!richard@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Richard Sexton)
Subject: Re: shrink-wrap copying...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <788@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:
>In article <2281@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:
>>
>>I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
>>software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
>>a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
>>

>The computer store I have worked at also did something similar to this.  We
>would make a copy of software to demonstrate and then reshrink-wrap it.
>The reason is that customer's keep wanting two otherwise mutually exclusive
>things: 1)  They want to see something demonstrated before they buy it and 2)
>they want a shrink-wrap fresh copy of software to buy.  We couldn't afford to

Well, look. We're about to bring a new product to market. Are you saying
we shouldnt bother shrimk wrapping it, and that the store will do it for
us ?

*My, how conveeeeenient.*

--
                      "...(alright Nils, alright)..."
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 88 22:17:02 GMT
From: cscosl!tw@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu  (Thomas Wolf)
Subject: Re: Magazine programs (was Re: I need help!)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <393@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@sal21.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
>In article <1200@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:
[some deleted stuff]
>>	Unless I'm mistaken, this program is copyrighted by STart and should
>>not be available on a BBS.  If you want the program, you should look into
>>buying the back issue from STart.  It is an excellent program.
>
>  While we're on the subject of type-in magazines...

STart is not a 'type-in' magazine.  I believe the program that was commented
on resided on a disk that came with that particular STart issue.

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
           or wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 88 00:28:49 GMT
From: pasteur!cory.Berkeley.EDU!seitz@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Matthew Eric Seitz)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <393@nunki.usc.edu" rjung@sal21.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
"  While we're on the subject of type-in magazines...
"
"  Does anyone know why magazines make a "big deal" (relatively speaking) about
"how their type-in programs cannot be sent around (on bulletin boards, for
"instance)?
"[...]
"  Is this just a side-effect of the copyright laws, or are the publishers
"just a bit overprotectionist of their stuff? Geez, and I think of all the
"cute ML games I used to download for my Atari 800...
"
"
"						--R.J.
"						B-)
"
"I sure wouldn't mind if AROGUE got sent around...
"______________________________________________________________________________
"Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
"                                                                   = == =
"                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
"                                                               ===== == =====
"   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

	It is indeed because of copyright.  If everyone could freely distribute
programs from magazines, the incentive to purchase the magazine would be
reduced.  It's really no different from any other kind of software piracy.

						Matthew Seitz

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 88 22:35:26 GMT
From: tektronix!tekcae!vice!keithr@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Keith Rast)
Subject: MORE on the 16Mhz board
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Here is some more info on the 16Mhz board for the ST.
It is a board the that mounts inside the ST.  The
installation is said to be more difficult than a memory
upgrade.  The replace the cpu with a 68016(?) and
place a switch on the back of the ST to allow you to
switch from 8Mhz to 16Mhz.  They are expecting their new
(lastest) board next week.  After they do some more testing
they expect to go into production in about a month.  They
hope to keep it in the $200 range not including installation.
They're looking into setting up dealers for installing the
board, but are looking into other options as well.

I asked if there is a problem with 150ns memory chips he said
no, but going to 120ns chips would increase the speed, then
only slightly.

PC Ditto is running on it.  They haven't found any software
that doesn't run, but who knows how much they've tried.

The person I talked to was named Kevin.  He was very helpfully
in answering any questions I had.  He said if people send
in a self-stamped addressed envelope they would send back
literature on this and other products, hardware upgrades
such as blitter upgrades, for the ST.

The address is:

	MEGABYTE Computers
	109 W Bay Area Blvd.
	Webster, TX 77593
	713-338-2231

(I am no way connected with MC, I don't own any of their stock,
and I am not married to any of their sisters.)

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 88 21:20:40 GMT
From: tikal!slovax!dale@beaver.cs.washington.edu  (Dale L. Thomas)
Subject: Re: DBs for ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> In article <16@erc3bc.UUCP>, wsl@erc3bc.UUCP writes:
> > (2) Is there now (or will be in the near future) a SQL based database
> >     available for the ST?
>
> Well, Atari announced a while ago that they would be selling one of
> the BIG Unix-type SQL databases for the ST *running Idris*.  Idris, if
> you haven't heard of it, is a "Unix-clone" o.s.  I think the database
> was either Ingres or Oracle, both of which are well-regarded products
> in the Unix minicomputer world.

The database slated to run under Idris on the ST was Oracle. I hope to
see it happen, unfortunately Atari has to wake up and start supporting
the developers out there. Idris is a multi-user multi-tasking Unix like
operating system. I really enjoy using it, I work on various Unix systems
at work, and feel right at home working with it. I have been porting some
public domain utilities and games for Unix machines, and find that there
is little or no work to get them running under Idris. The C compiler and
utilities are very nice. My only complaint is that it needs a "csh".
I miss history, and cd ~foo etc. ( any one have public domain sources for
a csh like shell).

P.S. I have seen and touched X windows (X10) on the ST!! --stayed tuned--

--
{psivax,ism780}!logico!slovax!dale    :   {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!slovax!dale
Dale Thomas R & D Associates,3625 Perkins Lane SW,Tacoma,Wa 98499,206-581-1322

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 88 20:50:25 GMT
From: uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes@gr.utah.edu  (Barnacle Wes)
Subject: Re: Blitter and Assempro ?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <898@aucs.UUCP>, 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
# Hi all, well Atari finally sent me my blitter chip(thank you ATARI), but there
# seems to be a problem with Assempro now. Whenever I try to assemble some
# code that accesses the tos.l file it loads and when it comes to the GEM_INIT
# command I get box telling me that everything is messed up?????
# I reassembled the tos.l file, and got no difference. Can anyone help me out,
# I need my assembler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
# later
# Barry

Have you tried turning off the blitter from the desktop?  Most ST
wordprocessors crash when the blitter is turned on, run OK with it
turned off.

"What's a word processor?"
"Well, you know what a food processor does to food?"
		-- The "Shoe" comic strip --
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

------------------------------

Date: 3 Mar 88 03:24:09 GMT
From: uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes@gr.utah.edu  (Barnacle Wes)
Subject: Re: IBM PC -> Atari ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <919@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
> Has anyone attempted to use the Atari ST color monitor on a PC
> using either a CGA or EGA card?  Was it successful? Can it be done?
> If so, where can I get the cables?

Nope, can't be done, at least not without some thrashing about with
the hardware.  The ST uses an Analog RGB interface, this means the
computer tells the monitor how much of each color to use by putting
out different voltages on each of the three color lines.

The PC CGA adapter uses an RGBI interface; the I stands for intensity
(I think).  The RGB values are always the same, the I dictates one of
two intensities or color sets.

The EGA adapter uses RGBII.  As you can guess, this is similar to RGBI
but carries 4 bits of Intensity data by using two lines.

The big thing about "multi-sync" monitors is that they can be driven
from Analog RGB, RGBI, or RGBII type interfaces, and at varying
vertical sync rates.

Date: 3 Mar 88 03:06:31 GMT
From: uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes@gr.utah.edu  (Barnacle Wes)
Subject: Re: Three questions.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1988Feb22.221218.13780@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) writes:

> 	I have three questions that people out there might have
> answers to.
>
> 	1)  [....] 						The
> problem is that other mark william tools seem to be able to run
> shell commands with out the SHELL variable being set, and if the
> environment variable is set then a new copy of the shell is started up
> for each cc in a make.

I can't say for sure, but I think the tools are probably exec'ing the
programs they call directly, rather than using system().  MWC provides
two library functions to make this somewhat easier, look up access()
and path() in the Lexicon.

> 	2) How does a typical mwc tool know that it has been called
> from a shell.  When ever I use a tool it seems to assume that the
> program was run from the desktop and I have to press return.

I think there is an environment variable called CAMEFROM they are
checking.  Usual entries are desktop and msh, or something like that.
The tools probably assume the worst (desktop) if they don't see
anything.

> 	3) How reliable are the malloc() and free() functions
> provided with MWC.

I haven't had any problems with them in 2.1.7, but I am (now) very
careful to free() objects in the reverse order I malloc() them.  As it
turns out, this isn't that much of a limitation - I (NOW) always free
blocks in the same routine that malloc()'s them.  I've been stung by
other compilers on other systems when I didn't do this.

Date: 9 Mar 88 14:18:29 GMT
From: davidli@UMN-CS.ARPA  (Dave Meile)
Subject: Re: UniTerm 2.1a wishlist
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <7934@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) writes:
>thing that I'd like to see (maybe this is in 2.0, I only have 1.8 as of
>yet, and am looking for an arpa/uucp/ftp archive for 2.0) is a small
>editor, perhaps in a window, that would allow one to edit a small file
>while still on-line (without leaving Uniterm.)  This is the only feature

Actually, Uniterm 1.8 has that particular option (if memory serves).  You
can run your favorite text editor while still conected to a BBS, for example,
and then upload the file.  I've even used that particular feature to scan
through some ARC files for a piece of relevant information I want to
upload.  In the FILE menu is the option "Run Program".  It works quite
nicely ... although you will have to set up your buffer space so that you
have enough space to run a particular program.  On a 1040ST, a system
buffer size of 200K is not bad.

In 2.0 you can even set things up so that a single keypress (like F1, etc.)
automagically invokes your text editor this way.  The Macro capability in
Uniterm is becoming very, very useful.  You can even set up an equivalent
to the DO files of Flash...

-- an enthusiastic (keep it up Simon!) fan

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 14:30:41 GMT
From: davidli@umn-cs.arpa  (Dave Meile)
Subject: Re: A cure looking for a disease? (I hope)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8803081650.AA29358@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) writes:

>A program called VDU_2_0.PRG has been posted to the FILESERVers at
>CANADA01 and UHUPVM1.  It is claimed that it will cure the 'Boot sector'
>virus and immunize the disk from future infection with this virus.
>
>Does anybody have any information about this virus, its mode of
>infection, mechanism, symptoms or how wide-spread it may have become?

The program is legitimate.  There has been a virus located and dissected
in Europe.  I first heard about it a month ago, when I got the back
issues of an informational disk called ST NEWS from Richard Karsmakers from
The Netherlands.  He was *quite* furious when the virus was discovered.

I haven't personally looked at the program on CANADA01, but I *do* have
all copies of ST NEWS relative to the virus, its detection and quashing.
If you'd like to see a copy of ST NEWS and read about the whole thing
yourself, you can send me a disk and return postage (or two disks for
the last two issues).  I wrote to ST NEWS and now I [and our local user
group, MAST] will be distributing the disk in the U.S.

I can't write much more about the subject, since I haven't paid all that
much attention till mid-February.  The 'details' are on the disk.  The
VDU program was, I believe, written in GFA BASIC.

If you want to see the issues discussing the virus, send a disk (or two)
and enough postage to get them back to you to:

	Dave Meile
	Box 13038
	Minneapolis, MN  55414

Future (and back) issues will be handled via MAST.  Look for an announcement.

-- Dave Meile

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 9 Mar 88 09:05 AST
From: <FXDDR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:  Migraph postpones PS...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Of course not long after asking if anybody had heard about Migraph postponing
the PostScript driver for EasyDraw, along comes the first Migraph newsletter
in months, called "HEADLINES".  In it:
  Q: Where are your Postscript and color printer drivers?
  A: We are working our buns off at Migraph and there always seems to be some
     project taking priority over others.  All I can say is we all hope to
     have them available in the first half of 88.
Anyway I'm playing with Axel's excellent MFPS program so I don't know if I'll
need Migraph's driver (maybe somebody at Migraph saw MFPS and felt theirs
was superfluous).  I hadn't known that he had a Unix version of MFPS, and
running it on the Vax which has the PS printer makes a lot more sense than
doing it on the ST and transferring huge PS files to Vax.

The newsletter might interest non-EasyDraw users.  It was produced on the
(in)famous Atari laser printer (though of course mass-produced by another
process).  And, page 6 was produced with the new Deskjet printer.  Seeing the
two types of output side by side there just isn't a whole lot of difference.
Don't know if the mass production improved or degraded the quality of the
originals, but they both look very good.  Migraph is pushing the Deskjet
themselves for $949, including GDOS drivers.
Since Migraph has GDOS drivers for HP Laserjet and now the Deskjet, that
would seem to eliminate the only real argument for the Atari laser printer
("GDOS is available for the Atari laser, will any of the cheaper ones have
support").  And: "The Deskjet gives you beautiful full-page 300 dpi graphics
without needing additional memory (you can hook it up to a 1Mb ST)."  Same
is true for many of the < $1500 lasers.  So I don't see that the Atari laser
has a future...
What would be very useful for the bitmapped lasers would be an interface to
the ST DMA port so 300 dpi images could be loaded into the printer in a minute
or two instead of the 10+ minutes it takes to load the HP Laserjet via the
parallel port.

Don Rice
FXDDR@ALASKA.bitnet
"There's nothing wrong with this place that saturation bombing couldn't cure."

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------