[comp.sys.atari.st] Msg of Thursday, 17 March 1988 14:22-EST

COMSAT@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Communications Satellite) (03/18/88)

FAILED: TETHER at MITLNS.MIT.EDU; Funny reply from foreign host after sending message.
	Last reply was: {554 Unable to deliver mail to given recipient(s)}
 Failed message follows:
-------
Date: Thu 17 Mar 88 10:03:04 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #123
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Sender:     Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, March 17, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 123

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                         Re: GNOME 2.0 ready
                    Re: RAM expansion chips, etc.
                            Re: fsel_input
                            Re: MX2 source
                 Video interrupts: using or disabling
           Re: WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....
         Connecting an Apple ImageWriter to the Atari 1040ST
                      Re: shrink-wrap copying...
           Re: WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....
                     Re: Is there a C++ compiler?
        Re: Wishlist for UniTerm 2.1a (really what's a VT220)
                               Re: 50Hz
                     Re: Copyrights and Coercion

Date: 9 Mar 88 17:13:19 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Re: GNOME 2.0 ready
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

Oops --- I left out my mailing address, in case somebody actually wants
to get GNOME via physical mail.  Here it is:

Moshe Braner
69 Ringwood Rd., Freeville, NY 13068  U.S.A.
(607) 347-4573
<braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu>		(ARPANET)
<braner@crnlcam>			(BITNET)

------------------------------

From: NH13%DKAUNI48.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Date: 03/09/88 11:34:51 CET
To: INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.edu

INFO

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 16:49:49 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!hase@uunet.uu.net  (Hartmut Semken)
Subject: Re: RAM expansion chips, etc.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3675@cup.portal.com> Harold_Hank_Hagquist@cup.portal.com writes:
>You can use 256K chips to go up to 1Meg of total memory. If you want to go any
>higher you need to go to 1Meg chips. This is because to ST can only access
>4 banks of chips. If you want an up grade board, I can get you one. To upgrade
Wrong.
If you get a good soldering iron
	someone who can handle it
	one of each HC00, HC139, HC573
	lots of wire
and	the german magazine ST Special
you can make an upgrade to 2.5 M with 41256-12 chips (48 of them).
It works. A friend of mine is working on a board for the chips so you don't
need to build stacks of 4 chips..
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Berlin (West) (*east of West-Germany :-)
hase@netmbx.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 16:40:06 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!tub!actisb!federico@uunet.uu.net  (Federico Heinz)
Subject: Re: fsel_input
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3951@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
>[]
> [text deleted]
>The drive:\directory\subdirectory\*.* entry drives me nuts.
>[...]  Then there's the very limited editing of that string.
>If it says "A:\*.*" and I just want to change the 'A' to 'B', I have
>to press ESC to clear it all, then retype the whole mess.

You don't need to clear the whole string. You can position your cursor using
the arrow keys (cursor back and cursor forward only, since cursor up/down
will take you to the next/previous field - or the other way around). The
arrow keys are nondestructive and allow you to change the drive spec
without killing the whole line. It's not very elegant (as a matter of fact
I hate it) but it's possible.

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
BIX:  fheinz				| Beusselstr. 21

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 01:36:13 GMT
From: hubcap!ncrcae!ncr-sd!crash!pnet01!fred@gatech.edu  (Fred Brooks)
Subject: Re: MX2 source
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I will be posting MX2 1.1.0 PD with the complete Modula-2 source. I am still
adding things and trying to redo some of the routines to run better. I will
post the complete thing on Genie first.

Fred Brooks

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!fred
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fred@nosc.mil
INET: fred@pnet01.cts.com

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 06:34:31 GMT
From: ptsfa!pacbell!att-ih!chinet!saj@tis.llnl.gov  (Stephen Jacobs)
Subject: Video interrupts: using or disabling
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I am curious about the horizontal and vertical blank interrupts.  How much
code can one safely put in a horizontal blank routine?  How many micro
seconds does each call of the default vertical blank handler take?  There
appears to be a flag telling the default vertical blank handler to cut its
operation short: what awful thing (if any) would happen if the interrupt
threshold was simply set above the vertical blank level?  And finally, how
do I try playing with these things (I've never done anything with privileged
instructions on the 68000, so those interrupt levels and first 1 K of memory
flags are new territory).  I have Mark Williams C (with their assembler
included), a few Abacus books and some 68000 documentation.  Use your best
judgement about whether to mail or post replies.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 88 18:10:28 GMT
From: leigh@byuvax.bitnet
Subject: Re: WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

It is time that the Tramiel family leaves Atari and goes off to save
another floundering company in need...   And let some *real*business* men
put things in order...

Chad

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 18:45:03 GMT
From: Ram-Ashwin@yale-zoo.arpa  (Ashwin Ram)
Subject: Connecting an Apple ImageWriter to the Atari 1040ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Does anyone know if one can connect an Apple ImageWriter, the Macintosh
dot-matrix  printer, to the Atari 1040ST?  If so, how does one go about
doing this?  This is the first time I will be  trying  to  connect  any
printer to my ST, so I know less than nothing about this.  I assume one
needs  a  printer  configuration file.  Is there a special file for the
ImageWriter?

I'd appreciate it if you could E-MAIL your responses to me if possible.

Thanks in advance.

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 22:23:38 GMT
From: mdf@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU  (Mark D. Freeman)
Subject: Re: shrink-wrap copying...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Gee, this seems to be such a simple issue.

Copying shrink-wrap won't work because it is transparent.  The
photocopier will just print a blank page...

(This is merely a sarcastic shot at what I see as a silly subject
line.)
--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 23:31:27 GMT
From: xanth!src@mcnc.org  (Scott R. Chilcote)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <463@csvax.liv.ac.uk> sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:

>OK, you asked for it ...
>
>1) The Atari ST's OS has been ported from an IBM PC and has several features
>   removed (no fonts for example) and has had several (hundred ?) bugs
>   introduced (40-folder bug, can't rename a folder, can't rename a disk...).

Wrong.  Porting is modifying existing code to work on a different computer.
DRI wrote TOS/GEM/GEMDOS entirely from scratch.

The only item here that qualifies as a BUG is the 40 folder limit.  While it
has required people to use fixes, the new release of GEMDOS will take care of
the problem.  In fact, PD utilities take care of all of these things.

>2) The ST has the same sound chip as a Snclair Spectrum Plus 2 - a prime
>   example of Atari ST cost-cutting.

         Whatever that is   ---       ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^

Yet, in the same machine, we have a midi interface.  Those who are interested
in good sounding music can add a synthesizer and persue a professional career.
If this is cost cutting, how come no other machine comes with one built-in?

--Granted, we'd like nice sound without enhancements, but nothing to cut your
head off over.

>3) 99% of all available software is either a very poor imitation of Macintosh
>   software (First Word Plus, Publishing Partner, Fleet Street Editor etc.) or
>   just a poorly-written arcade game...

Rather than being an argument, this is irrational caterwauling.  I defy you to
come up with similar descriptions for Zoomracks, GFA Basic, Dungeon Master, or
Time Bandits.  While there are several below-standard programs for the ST, as
well as any other machine, at least developers have been willing to write for
it...

>4) Virtually all the compilers I've seen (and I've seen plenty of them !) for
>   the ST have been quite disgraceful. They either have numerous bugs, have
>   a user-hostile interface (such as a cryptic command line) or are extremely
>   slow. This just shows that ST software companies are in the market to make
>   a quick buck off people foolish enough to buy an ST in the first place.

Yawn.  OSS Pascal, MWC Ver. 3.0, Laser C?  What goes for "good" these days?

>5) The official ST hard disk is appalling. A friend of mine was so disgruntled
>   that he ripped out the Atari mechanism and replaced it with a faster hard
>   disk mechanism.

No prospective ST owner is forced to buy an SH-204.  Much better are available
elsewhere.  What kind of problem did he have?  Last I heard, there was a stan-
dard PC-compatible 3 1/2" drive unit inside--probably like the one he replaced
it with!

>6) As mentioned in comp.sys.atari.st, Atari have been caught red-handed
>   shipping STs with faulty disk drives that don't sense the write-protect
>   notch on a disk correctly...typical of such a cost-cutting company
>   (price without the power - or safe disk drives !)

Commodore is perfect by comparison, Hmmm?  One local mall store, Games 'N
Gadgets, had over 50% of it's Amiga 500's come back after Christmas.  The
problem?  Dead unit, green screen with spots.  Sound familiar?  No electronics
supplier is perfect.  Even IBM has problems.

>I never said that the Amiga/VAX/Mac etc. were the BEST computers in the world -
>My philosophy is that if the machine
>is fast, has a good OS and a good (high level) language then it is GOOD.

There, I knew you'd apologize.  That's a good bloke.  Now remember, the next
time you have one of these attacks, take a few deep breaths.  As a reward,
we'll get Joe Isuzu to return the queen's hat!

:-) :-) :-)
The preceding was written with nobody's consent.

                                                      S. Chilcote
                                                      src@xanth.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 22:26:27 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!cosmo!urmel@uunet.uu.net  (Markus Hess)
Subject: Re: Is there a C++ compiler?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <12332@orchid.waterloo.edu> achowe@orchid.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack) writes:

>Does anyone know of a C++ compiler for the ST. Is there one in
>the works? PD or commercial?

 WE have just a C++ translator in work (commercial) which is based on
 the AT&T version 1.2. We are porting the C++ translator to several
 machines, including SUN, Motorola Series 8000, UNISYS Series 5000,
 386/IX, MS-DOS(tm) and, of course the ATARI ST. :-)

--
Markus Hess
urmel@{focus|cosmo}.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 22:28:23 GMT
From: mcvax!cernvax!ethz!forty2!poole@uunet.uu.net  (Simon Poole)
Subject: Re: Wishlist for UniTerm 2.1a (really what's a VT220)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

From article <2866@brspyr1.BRS.Com> by tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup):
>From article <186@forty2.UUCP>, by poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole):
>> mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!sqrkl, Richard K. Lloyd writes >Wishlist for
>
>>>6) Retain the screen display when switching from or to 132 column mode,
>>>   rather than clearing the screen and homing the cursor.
>>
>> Wrong! No VT1XX, VT2XX or VT3XX compatible terminal works this way,
>> all clear the screen and home the cursor. The command set of D*C
>> compatible terminals has no provision for dealing with mixed length
>> lines (I can think of all kind of perversions you would have to deal
>> with, if you want to have a terminal with this feature).

>Sorry Simon, but I use an HDS2200 (VT-220 compatible from Human Designed
>Systems), that *does* retain the screen on size change.

Which means that it isn't VT-220 compatible. And will miserably fail any
compatibility test.
>It seems to work just fine.  The software may not deal with it particularly
>well (editors, etc), but that isn't the terminals problem, nor should it
>be.

Oh yes it should be, since the HDS will tell the application, that it's
a VT-220 and the application will expect it (the terminal) to do EXACTLLY
what a VT-220 would do. How do you program an editor if you don't know
what the terminal is going to do? Ok, you say then it should send a response
saying it's a HDS2200 in this and that mode, BUT then it's no longer a VT-220
terminal is it?

BTW the HDS does not work the way the original poster described (the HDS
does NOT have mixed length lines, it just doesn't erase the whole screen
when switching modes).

(I don't really think this discussion belongs in comp.sys.atari.st, that's
why I've refrained from giving a LONG list of situations where everybody
would admit that the HDS is broken)

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 23:47:04 GMT
From: wallman-george@yale-zoo.arpa  (Natuerlich!)
Subject: Re: 50Hz
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

No don't worry about 50Hz, noone I know even with a TV set uses 50Hz.
In fact the CHANGEHZ.PRG is used there to change the frequency TO
60Hz. 50 Hz is unbearable in the long run. Flicker Flicker!.
(There == W.Germany)
Loveletters & Hatemail to : wallman@yalecs     (Arpa UUCP Use)
                 Files to : WALLMANN@CTSTATEU  (Bitnet)
"The CPU is from Motorola
 The RAM is from Hitachi
 The Operating System is from DRI
 and the MMU is from Fancy Feast"

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 01:18:32 GMT
From: wallman-george@yale-zoo.arpa  (Natuerlich!)
Subject: Re: Copyrights and Coercion
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Yesterday I went into my local store to get a game. I took it from
the shelf and tried to walk out of the door. "Hold it", said the
owner,"drop the game, or I call the police". I dropped the game.
And of course I immediately went to the cops and told them about the
theft the store owner had committed.

In Logajan terms:
1) Fraud + Theft. I have the value
2) Coercion
3) Theft (I dropped the game, by coercion, owner gets the value back)
What's wrong ? Theft is a 'common sense' word and not a little
Logic 100 Token. It has a meaning in terms of social interaction
that we are all aware off. The Logajan approach is the standard and
wrong AI approach.

That is the try to narrow an elaborate concept into a single rule
(and then with the addition of lots of exception like (OK it is
no theft if the value originally belongs to the owner and if the thief is still on the premises and so on...)

Aloha aus Samoa
Loveletters & Hatemail to : wallman@yalecs     (Arpa UUCP Use)
                 Files to : WALLMANN@CTSTATEU  (Bitnet)
"The CPU is from Motorola