[comp.sys.atari.st] Msg of Thursday, 17 March 1988 15:39-EST

COMSAT@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Communications Satellite) (03/18/88)

FAILED: TETHER at MITLNS.MIT.EDU; Funny reply from foreign host after sending message.
	Last reply was: {554 Unable to deliver mail to given recipient(s)}
 Failed message follows:
-------
Date: Thu 17 Mar 88 10:18:01 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #125
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Sender:     Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, March 17, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 125

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                              RAM chips
                          Mouse Addresses...
                     Re: MORE on the 16Mhz board
                    Re: Laser C bug reports/notes
                     Re: Laser-C verses Megamax-C
           Re: WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....
                        business sales office
                  Almost forgot ... My phone number
                     Re: DESKTOP.INF  some notes
                 More info on software color upgrade

Date: 10 Mar 88 06:27:22 PST (Thursday)
Subject: RAM chips
From: "chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@Xerox.COM
To: Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU

Two items relating to supplies of RAM chips (extracted from other DLs):

Item 1

What happened is the US government enacted legislation that artificially
depressed the US market for RAM chips. The Japanese found themselves in a
huge overproduction situation and stopped filling the pipelines. Now that
demand has risen again (though not to the level it was before the trade bill),
the pipelines are empty, and prices have skyrocketed. You guys in England
suffer just as badly as us guys in the US, it just takes longer. The chip
manufacturers, meanwhile, are making as much money and getting as much US
currency as they would have if the legislation had never gone into effect,
but they don't have to ship as much product to do so.

I have a 4 Meg board on my Amiga. The RAM alone is now worth about twice what
I paid for the whole board last year.
---
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

<<<<<

Item 2

1)	The Japanes
	price got down to pennies a chip.
2)	The Americans got priced out of business, so they shut down their chip
	manufacturing lines -

		Then screamed to their congressmen to "protect" them.

3)	The congressmen went to the president and begged "Stop the Japs"
4)	The US made it illegal for the Japanese to sell reasonably priced
	chips in the US.
5)	The Japanese quit shipping.
6)	The Americans didn't start building.

voila - no chips.

Incidentally, there are still some available from mail order houses for $4.50 to
$5.00 each for the 256/150 chips.

PS-  I have about 8MB of 256k-150ns chips at home.  If your's is a personal
problem, I will sell 8 of the 256K chips for $30.

Jim McLeod
8*223-5052

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 88 16:50:27 GMT
From: dalcs!garfield!avp@uunet.uu.net  (Anthony Paul)
Subject: Mouse Addresses...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Back in October, the addresses went by for the mouse,
0x26E0 - x pos
0x26E2 - y pos
0x26E6 - buttons.

My problem, the article said these don't work on the mega.
Anyone know what they are on the Mega?

Thanks

Anthony Paul

avp@garfield.UUCP
avp@garfield.mun.cdn

P.S.

Anyone have the pinout of the Mega's expansion port?

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 09:25:53 GMT
From: linus!alliant!rosenkra@husc6.harvard.edu  (Bill Rosenkranz)
Subject: Re: MORE on the 16Mhz board
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1988Mar7.163720.22573@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> lharris@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) writes:

>What kind of REAL speed increase is there?  You can't drive any of the
>other chips in the atari at 16MHz so is this just the 68000 being
>speeded up - like sticking a v20 in an ibm?
>Is performance increase gained=$200 ?
>/Leonard

MegaByte Computers (Webster TX) just told me yesterday that in general, you
can expect 30 to 85% speedup. if the inner loop of a process is primarily
calculations and not hits to the OS (like I/O, etc.) you get the higher
numbers. they also say you can switch on-the-fly between 8 Mhz (normal) and
16 Mhz, even during a program execution! no reboot needed.

they are planning a board for the mega as well, though expected dates were
not known. they plan to also have additional sockets for memory on that
board, and perhaps a floating point coprocessor. if all this happens,
the mega will turn into a rather formidable machine ($200 delta on the
mega is probably worth the performance increase for all megas. you be the
judge for ST).

-bill

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 15:24:08 GMT
From: killer!pollux!megamax!michel@eddie.mit.edu  (Michel Rynderman)
Subject: Re: Laser C bug reports/notes
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <2747@druhi.ATT.COM> lbl@druhi.ATT.COM (LocklearLB) writes:
>In article <1988Feb29.101120.12013@mntgfx.mentor.com>, dclemans@mntgfx.UUCP writes:
>>     It looks like the compiler now has only 8 significant characters, vs. 10 characters in V1.
>Barry Locklear

The compiler has 255 significant characters. The linker had a bug in it that
printed out only 8 characters but that has since been fixed. Both the symbol
namer and the disassembler print as many characters out as there are.

Michel@megamax

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 88 16:28:33 GMT
From: pacbell!att-ih!cuuxb!ltuxa!ll1a!spl1!richp1!robert@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Robert Miller)
Subject: Re: Laser-C verses Megamax-C
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The editor included with my Megamax-C will NOT allow me to use
control characters in my files.  The editor strips them out.
Does any one know if this is also true with the new Laser-C??

"To open, cut along dotted line."  ....:.......................................
                                  :     :  Robert Miller @ ihnp4!richp1!robert

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 21:10:23 GMT
From: agate!web1d.berkeley.edu!c60c-6bh@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Hurley (Ahhz))
Subject: Re: WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

		Sorry,  I had not realized this would be posted to

	the atari group.   As you can tell my previous message was

	mostly just emotional clap trap,  which was the reason I wrote

 	it.   I meant it to be just another meaningless addition to an

	allready tired, and disgusting subject.

	And I really don't like the Atari, and I really do like the Amiga,

	but that's just my personal opinion, and it shouldn't bother or

	interfere with anyone-elses life.

----------------- And I still wouldn't hurt one of God's cretures ----
-------------------Except for FUN, of course..-----------------------

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 10 Mar 88 22:38:36 EST
From:     Joel Malman <malman@VAX.BBN.COM>
To:       info-atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject:  business sales office

Group,
I have read about the new 68030 boxes Atari  is  expected  to  sell!   Can
someone supply me the Atari phone number for serious business inquiries ..
NOT consumer info (PLEASE:-), etc, type phone numbers.

Atari  68030  /  Unix  boxes might be useful if they ever come to life and
have useful  pro  level  software  available  ("developer"  level  is  not
acceptable).   Pro  level examples: lisp (Common or maybe Lucid, Symbolics
enviroment preferred), pro quality  C  (BSD  quality)  and  Fortran  (F77)
compilers.   The  current tools appear to be "for the masses", and are not
viable pro quality.  I am interested in quotes for $3-5K,  DISKLESS,  Unix
boxes  with  at  least 1.5-3 VAX drystone MIPs.  Full TCP/IP support, runs
NFS, 4.2 or 4.3 BSD kernel is also required. As I said, they have  got  to
be pro level stuff - or I'm not going to be interested.

Does Atari have or plan to have such a machine? If so, what do  they  plan
to use as a disk file server?

HP,  Sun (I already have Sun based systems installed), Apollo and DEC have
pro systems that (mostly meet) my specs .. is Atari  going  into  the  pro
market enough to warrent my interest?

Only professional level responses requested.

/joel           [ DDN Internet ONLY: malman@bbn.com ]

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 10 Mar 88 22:42:19 EST
From:     Joel Malman <malman@VAX.BBN.COM>
To:       info-atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject:  Almost forgot ... My phone number

If you don't have DDN Internet access, you can use Ma Bell to reach
me ... 7am-4pm EASTERN time +1 617-873-3512

/joel

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 20:06:12 GMT
From: uflorida!codas!burl!clyde!watmath!orchid!achowe@gatech.edu  (CrackerJack)
Subject: Re: DESKTOP.INF  some notes
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8803071039.AA11095@lasso.laas.fr> ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
>Is there any documentation on this file? and it's format?  I have a slight
>idea from seeing multiple versions of DESKTOP.INF but would enjoy something
>more coherent.  Thanks to all in advance, and I'll summarize either to those
>others you are as misinformed as I, or the net if there's sufficient interest.
>Please reply to me directly since I don't get the newsgroups (any ;-{).
>
>Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or

Being home sick today, I took the time to prepare this file (credits
at the end).
------------------------- CUT HERE -------------------------------
880308

DESKTOP.INF
==========

1) #a - RS-232

digit	meaning
1		duplex  0 = full  1 = half
2		baud	0 = 9600  1 = 4800  2 = 1200  3 = 300
		(note: this may have more values to provide for the new
		control panel which supports all baud rates)
3		parity	0 = none  1 = odd  2 = even
4		data bits	0 = 8  1 = 7  2 = 6  3 = 5
5		protocol	0 = X off, rts/cts off
					1 = X on, rts/cts off
					2 = X off, rts/cts on
					3 = X on, rts/cts on
6		strip bit	0 = on  1 = off
		(shouldn't this be called "stop bits 1 or 2"?)

eg.  #a062120	- full duplex, 2400 baud, even parity, 7 data bits,
                  X off and rts/cts on, 1 stop bit

2) #b - Printer

digit	meaning
1		type	0 = dot matrix  1 = daisywheel
2		ink		0 = black and white   1 = colour
3		pixel	0 = 1280  1 = 960
4		quality 0 = draft  1 = final
5		port	0 = printer (parallel)  1 = modem (serial)
6		feed	0 = continuous  1 = single sheet

eg.  #b000000	- dot matrix, b/w, 1280 pixels, draft, printer,
                  continuous (not the most interesting eg)

3) #c - Control Panel Settings

The first 48 digits or first 16 sets of RGB triples represent the
colours to set. The fisrt digit in a triple is the RED value, next is
the GREEN and the third is BLUE.

The last seven digits represent the following:

digit 	meaning
1		mouse button response  0 to 4
2		keyclick  0 = off  1 = on
3		bell  0 = off  1 = on
4 & 5	keyboard response  0 to 46
6 & 7   repeat delay  0 to 21

4) #d - Unknown, probably reserved

5) #E - View and Option Parameters

The first hex value determines how files are arranged in the directory
and if confirmation should be requested before copying and deleting.

bit		meaning
7		view as  0 = icon  1 = text
6,5		sort by  00 = name  01 = date  10 = size  11 = type
4		deletions 0 = proceed  1 = confirm
3		copies  0 = proceed  1 = confirm
2,1		unknown

The second hex value is the screen resolution (and from what I can
tell, whether the blitter is on or off).

digit 	meaning
1		blitter  0 = off  1 = on
2		resolution  1 = low  2 = medium  3 = high

6) #W - Window Info

There are 4 lines, one for each of the four windows that can be
opened from the desktop. For each line, the first two bytes are
the slider bar positions, the next two are the desktop screen
location and the third pair defines the window size.

The next byte is uncertain but this byte will take on a value from
$07 to $0a or 0. Zero would denote a closed window. These values are
most likely window handles.

The text string provids the default pathname for the directory.
Closing and reopening a window will restore the normal diectory.
The '@' is used to mark the end of the string.

7) #M - Drive Icons

The first two bytes are the (x,y) location of the icon and the
third is the type of icon to use.

00 = file drawer
01 = folder
02 = trach can
03 = program
04 = file

The $FF is an $FF which seems to have no purpose in life. After that
follows the drive name and text for the icon (12 letters max). The
second text field is uncertain at the moment.

8) #T - Trash Icon

Similar to drive icons except no drive name is given.

9) #D #F #G #P - File Icons

eg. #F FF 04   @ *.*@
	#D FF 01   @ *.*@
	#G 03 FF   *.APP@ @
	#G 03 FF   *.PRG@ @
	#F 03 04   *.TOS@ @
	#P 03 04   *.TTP@ @
	#G 03 04   GEMCSH.PRG@ *.SH@

The information for this section may not be accurate this is based on
both observartion and what I've read else where.

"The first #F and #D are said to represent folders and disks; their
"function is uncertian. [..] and they should be left untouched.

#D function most likely stands for DIRECTORY not DISK while the first
#F probably stands for FILE rather than FOLDER. Based on what I say
for the rest of the examples maybe someone can figure out what these
first two lines do.

From what I can tell, the first byte represents what icon should be
used to represent the first file string. The second represents what
icon/type of file is the second file string. The second file string
denotes the type of files attached to the first (ie. installed
applications). Or it denotes what to append to a command line.

#G = GEM executable
#F = executable with no parameters
#P = executable with parameters

eg. #G 03 FF *.APP@ @  - Any file marked with .APP extension is to
be considered as GEM program using a program icon (with no command
line parameter).

eg. #G 03 04 GEMCSH.PRG@ *.SH@  - When any .SH file is opened, execute
GEMCSH.PRG passing the specified file name on the command line.

eg. #F 03 04 *.TOS@ @  - Any file marked .TOS is considered as a
character based program. This is the confusing bit. Here a 04 is
passed but no second file string is given. All I can assume is that
it denotes that the command line not be altered in any way.

So from the above I can only speculate to the following meanings as
I have not tried them.

eg. #F FF 04 @ *.*@  - What constitutes a none executable, displayable
file.

eg. #F FF 04 @ *.DOC@  - This to me means that I can "show" any file
with a .DOC extension.

eg. #D FF 01 @ *.*@  - What files should be listed when a folder is
opened.

eg. #D 01 01 GAMES@ *.PRG@  - This means to me that when I open a
folder called GAMES, I should only display .PRG files in the directory.

10) Sample DESKTOP.INF

#a062120
#b000000
#c7770007000260070055200505552220770557075055507703111103
#d
#E 98 12
#W 00 00 0A 01 15 17 08 A:\*.*@
#W 00 00 20 01 15 17 00 @
#W 00 00 36 01 15 17 00 @
#W 00 00 38 06 15 0D 00 @
#M 00 02 00 FF D RAM DISK@ `@
#M 00 00 00 FF A FLOPPY DISK@ @
#M 00 01 00 FF B FLOPPY DISK@ @
#T 00 03 02 FF   TRASH@ @
#F FF 04   @ *.*@
#D FF 01   @ *.*@
#G 03 FF   *.APP@ @
#G 03 FF   *.PRG@ @
#F 03 04   *.TOS@ @
#P 03 04   *.TTP@ @
#G 03 04   GEMCSH.PRG@ *.SH@

-----
Most of the info provided here come from "Compute!'s Atari ST"
April 1987, Issue 4, Vol. 2 #2. The bit on file icons comes from my
own observations as the article had no answers about #F and #D.
Any additions or corrections would be appreciated.

--------------------- CUT HERE ------------------------------
Anthony C. Howe                achowe@trillium.waterloo.edu
                               achowe@orchid.waterloo.edu

"The definition of flying: throwing yourself at the ground and missing."
		- Douglas Adam's  "Life, the Universe and Everything"

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 88 23:27:44 GMT
From: tektronix!tekig!tekig5!wayneck@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Wayne Knapp)
Subject: More info on software color upgrade
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I found out that I computed the movm timing incorrectly.  Now it looks like to
me that the fastest way to move memory to memory is the mov.l (An)+,(Am)+
instruction.  Does anyone know a faster way?  If not, using this instruction
will allow for 48 color changes a scan line.  I believe that is the same as
Spectrum 512.  Maybe they couldn't find a faster way either.  Anyway the code
would look like:

    Some in beginning:

        mov.l color.information.table,A0      # picture color information
        mov.l start.color.registers,A1        # ST's color registers
        mov.q 199,D0                          # 199 lines

        sync code                             # posted earlier
        Maybe some code for changing top line colors 16 times   32 colors

    newline: mov.l A1,A2       #  4
             mov.l A1,A3       #  4    8
             mov.l A1,A4       #  4   12
             clr.l D1          #  6   18    need to waste 6 cycles

             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20   38
             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20   58
             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20   78
             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20   98
             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20  118
             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20  138
             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20  158
             mov.l (A0)+,(A2)+ # 20  178

             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  198
             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  218
             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  238
             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  258
             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  278
             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  298
             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  318
             mov.l (A0)+,(A3)+ # 20  338

             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  358
             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  378
             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  398
             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  418
             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  438
             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  458
             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  478
             mov.l (A0)+,(A4)+ # 20  498
             dbne  D0,newline  # 10  508  remember 508 cycles per scan line

This would give 14 colors per 20 pixels with two new colors every 20 pixels.
I can't think of anything better, but I still open to new ideas.

Another interesting mode any be to use word moves and make a new high res mode.
it not allow as many color changes since one runs out of address registers, but
it may be nice.  The inner loop could be made of the following segments.

             mov.w (A0)+,(A2)+  # 13  13
             mov.w (A0)+,(A2)+  # 13  26
             mov.w (A0)+,(A2)+  # 13  39
             mov.w (A0)+,(A2)+  # 13  42
             mov.l A1,A2        #  4  46

This would allow for 32 colors per scan line.  Only 32 since only part of the
188 cycles during horizontal retrace could be use.  Does anyone want this mode,
640 x 200 x 512 colors?

What is a good name for these, any ideas?

                          Thank you,
                             Wayne Knapp

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------