[comp.sys.atari.st] Uniterm bugs

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (03/18/88)

SIGH, this is slowly (ha ha it already is )geting stupid.....(and Richard,
it's only backfiring on you, so why don't you stop?)
Richard K. Lloyd writes:
>I know this should be e-mailed directly to Simon Poole, but I'm not sure that
>I have access to the appropriate network...
What about trying....

>1) The E-test (ESC # 8) is extremely suspect. It fills the screen with E's,
It's also eexxttrreemmeellyy important ..........
>   but fails to reset the line attributes or home the cursor to 1,1. Hence,
                 \at last a bug!/ (has been fixed...)
>   if the cursor was on a double-width, double-height line, any text printed
>   AFTER the E-test will still have the same attributes (instead of being
>   single-height, single-width as it should be).
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ funny enough none of the
D*C manuals actually specify what it 'should be'

>2) It appears that no ESC [ value v (where value = 0,1,2,3,4 or 5) escape
>   sequences (they modify the cursor attributes) have been supported. This
>   is unusual, because it can be configured from the 'Terminal 1' menu option.
This not at all unusual, I suggest you get a D*C VT100, VT2XX or VT3XX manual
and read it, you will notice the total absence of any ESC [ value v command
(and VT3XX's CAN change the cursor type).

>3) Not all double-height/double width modes have been implemented. This may
>   not apply when running in mono though.
What about news, not history... exactlly ONE mode has not been implemented
double width chars on the color monitor (and in the 49 line mono mode).
Why are you telling us stuff that is on the first page of the UniTerm manual?

>4) Downwards scrolling on a colour monitor is annoying if you haven't carefully
>   twiddled the Control Panel colour settings. From what I can tell, the 3
>   bit-planes are getting scrolled independently which can cause multi-coloured
>   flickering.
This is a problem with the VDI  (report this bug to ATARI), but it doesn't
apply to versions higher than 2.0b 007 anyway (the reverse scroll is now an
assembler routine).

>5) The cursor does not expand to double-width when it is on a line with a
>   double-width attribute.
Right...

>6) ESC # 9 is not supported. This fills the screen with a character assortment
>   (in which the character attributes vary from line to line).
Once again, get the appropriate manuals and RTFM.

>7) The VT52 entry sequence ESC > doesn't appear to be supported. The terminal
>   type must be changed inside the 'Terminal 1' dialog.
ESC > just  happens to change the keypad to numeric mode (if you are in
VT100 mode), to get from VT100 mode to VT52 mode, the correct sequence is
   ESC [?2l
to get back to VT100 mode
   ESC <
What about getting your facts straight first? And once again RTFM.....

>8) Move the cursor to a line with some (varied) text on it. Enter LOCAL mode
>   and type ESC # 3 (double-width, double-height, top half). Instead of
>   redrawing the line in the new attributes, the character from the first
>   column of the line is duplicated 40 times !!!! I believe this is OK on
>   a mono system, though.
I happen to believe it works on a color screen too (you know, I do test
UniTerm now and then), I just checked (in 49 line mode on a mono set,
which is the same as  color in respect to DH/DW chars) and it works!
Can anybody else confirm Richards experience?

Richard, you somehow disappoint me, you tried so hard but you actually
missed  THE obvious bug in V2.0a, the VT52 keypad and arrow keys don't
work (this has naturally been fixed in 2.0b).

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole       Simon Poole
Bitnet: K538915@CZHRZU1A