[comp.sys.atari.st] UniTerm 2.1a wishlist/Broken ST problem...

sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk (03/04/88)

Wishlist for the next release of UniTerm (2.1a ??) :

1) Support for 'invisible cursor' (ESC [ 1 v I think...).

2) Double width, single height text on colour monitors.

3) Faster Tektronix mode.

4) A one-key NO SCROLL key (none of this ALT-Z stuff) - I currently use
   INSERT to go in and out of the SLE...this acts as a useful NO SCROLL key.

5) Why does an alert dialog appear if you disable the SLE and then (accident-
   ally or deliberately) press the INSERT key ? This rather makes the 'dis-
   abling' aspect a bit useless...!

6) Retain the screen display when switching from or to 132 column mode, rather
   than clearing the screen and homing the cursor.

7) Follow this convention for mouse control :
   If there is keyboard input or serial line activity, leave the mouse
   switched off UNLESS the mouse is moved (switch it back on again in that
   case). Use either the standard mouse arrow or an outlined char cell box
   for the mouse because these are easier to use than the I-bar.
   If the mouse button is clicked whilst the mouse is on, then the cursor
   should move to the character cell nearest to the mouse pointer. BUT....
   listen to the echo from the host after each cursor arrow code is sent -
   then the cursor can be 'stopped' if it exceeds the selected position
   (as is the case if there is tabs between the original cursor position and
   the destination position selected by the mouse).
      PLEASE remove this silly 2-click convention for cursor position selection
   by the mouse - it is highly annoying.

P.S. MY ATARI DOESN'T RECOGNISE ESCAPE (AND NEVER HAS !) to refresh a disk
     window after a disk swap. Also, the Procopy disk copier is convinced
     that the source disks I put in are write-enabled when they are clearly
     write-protected. By the way, I'm using a 1040STF that is about two years
     old, but I'm not sure which drive manufacturer produced my internal drive.

Richard K. Lloyd,          ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,    * JANET : sqrkl@uk.ac.liv.csvax                   *
Liverpool University,      * UUCP  : {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!sqrkl *
Merseyside, England,       * ARPA  : sqrkl%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk  *
Great (?) Britain.         ***************************************************

"I have VERY strong opinions which are nothing whatsoever to do with the
University of Liverpool, so blame ME if I bitch about useless IBM PC clones,
even more redundant IBM mainframes and the terrible Atari ST..."

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (03/07/88)

add to wish list:

	1) make it work from gulaam (my copy of 2.x does not, or is it me?)
	   works ok from desktop (old ROM, no blitter, 1040, HD)

	2) ability to invoke arc or less (or any command for that matter)
	   (maybe it does now...not being able to invoke from gulaam forced
	   me back to v1.7b and i haven't really read new docs)

	3) would be nice to see file size/dates in fsel dialog (i.e. replace
	   fsel with something better)

otherwise i use uniterm almost exclusively on ST. it is really nice! all this
from freeware...

-bill

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) (03/09/88)

From article <1347@alliant.Alliant.COM>, by rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz):

> 	1) make it work from gulaam (my copy of 2.x does not, or is it me?)
> 	   works ok from desktop (old ROM, no blitter, 1040, HD)

I have no problem invoking Uniterm from Gulam, or Gulam from within
Uniterm.  As a matter of fact, I used Uniterm to dial into work, an
then ran UW from Uniterm.  (UW gives me multiple terminal windows).

> 	2) ability to invoke arc or less (or any command for that matter)
> 	   (maybe it does now...not being able to invoke from gulaam forced
> 	   me back to v1.7b and i haven't really read new docs)

Again, not a problem.

> 	3) would be nice to see file size/dates in fsel dialog (i.e. replace
> 	   fsel with something better)

You're _really_ asking for an improvement in GEM.  Simon Poole has
done us all a service by developing Uniterm, for little reward aside
from the personal satisfaction.  It just doesn't seem reasonable to
complain about his using a standard part of the GEM user interface in
a standard way.

> otherwise i use uniterm almost exclusively on ST. it is really nice! all this
> from freeware...

I'll bet that if you take another crack at it, you can Uniterm to do
what you want.

--
Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	hplabs!felix!preston

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (03/11/88)

In article <24380@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:
>From article <1347@alliant.Alliant.COM>, by rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz):
>
>As a matter of fact, I used Uniterm to dial into work, an
>then ran UW from Uniterm.  (UW gives me multiple terminal windows).

Preston,

	What is UW? It sounds intrigueing (sp?) Is UW PD? I'd like to request
a copy, if it is.

	Marty Wiedmeyer

--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (03/12/88)

In article <24380@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:

>   [ ... ]   Simon Poole has
>done us all a service by developing Uniterm,

I agree.
Let's hear a round of applause for developers
of free software everywhere.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) (03/14/88)

From article <499@lakesys.UUCP>, by martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer):

> What is UW? It sounds intriguing.  Is UW PD? I'd like to request
> a copy, if it is.

UW gives you multiple simultaneous terminal windows through a single
serial connection.  It makes low baud rate (2400-baud in my case)
connections much more useful.

The host side of UW is availible in source form for BSD Unix.  The
original UW client ran on the Macintosh.

The version I have was derived from sources posted to this newsgroup
some time ago.  The original version worked, but was buggy.  I re-wrote
most of it, fixed some errors in the state machine, added cursor key
support, and optimized screen updates.  The current version I've been
using for several months without problem.

It doesn't have any extra features (i.e. no dialer, macros, file
transfer, etc.).  It emulates an adm31 terminal, up to 7 of them.  It
uses a 7x13 monochrome font, so that I can see more than one window at
a time.  It only works on a monochrome display, although it could be
adapted to color.

I hadn't bothered posting, as someone else had claimed to have a much
fancier version of UW that they were going to post shortly.  That was
months ago...

If there is enough interest, I'll put together a posting.

Anything else you want to know?

--

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (03/17/88)

In article <24872@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:
>From article <499@lakesys.UUCP>, by martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer):
>
>I hadn't bothered posting, as someone else had claimed to have a much
>fancier version of UW that they were going to post shortly.  That was
>months ago...
>
>If there is enough interest, I'll put together a posting.

Please, Please post it. I think the guy that had the fancy one was
from Lachman, but I wasn't able to track that version down. I finally
got rid of my Mac, so really miss UW...

  -Todd Burkey

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (03/19/88)

In article <357@stag.UUCP> trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
>In article <24872@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:
>>From article <499@lakesys.UUCP>, by martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer):
>>
>>I hadn't bothered posting, as someone else had claimed to have a much
>>fancier version of UW that they were going to post shortly.  That was
>>months ago...
>>
>>If there is enough interest, I'll put together a posting.
>
>Please, Please post it. I think the guy that had the fancy one was
>from Lachman, but I wasn't able to track that version down. I finally
>got rid of my Mac, so really miss UW...

I agree.  Please post.