[comp.sys.atari.st] Msg of Sunday, 20 March 1988 05:31-EST

COMSAT@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Communications Satellite) (03/20/88)

FAILED: TETHER at MITLNS.MIT.EDU; Funny reply from foreign host after sending message.
	Last reply was: {554 Unable to deliver mail to given recipient(s)}
 Failed message follows:
-------
Date: Sat 19 Mar 88 23:47:00 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #128
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Sender:     Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, March 19, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 128

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                        Re: Atari no-support?
                               The EST?
                     Re: MORE on the 16Mhz board
                   Translations of German articles.
           Re: WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....
                             Re: Ultima V
                    Re: Packaging Microsoft Write
                       Re: Atari Forth question
                            Re: fsel_input
                            Analog (again)
                            Re: fsel_input
                   Assembly Source from Executables
                          Re: Multi-Bashing

Date: 10 Mar 88 02:05:59 GMT
From: portal!atari!good@uunet.uu.net  (Roy Good)
Subject: Re: Atari no-support?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <188@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:
> .........I don't doubt the qualities of Atari engineering, but Atari still
> has to show us that they can get an actual product up and going. And as
> always there is the question of software support, will Atari mangement
> make an official statement about a bug fixed GEMDOS version as an example?

We have recently polled Atari enthusiasts on BIX, Compuserve and GEnie
regarding input on fixes and enhancements for the forthcoming TOS. I
guarantee we won't please everyone, but we'll try. The responses received
have been summarized to about 12 pages. At an average of about 2 lines each,
it runs to around 200 comments. We are very pleased with this level of
response, as it shows a good degree of cooperation from the user base.
In addition, we have solicited, and received, input from all of our
subsidiaries.
We will publish a list of features on all services as soon as we are confident
of the final content of this next release, together with a summary of the
major changes NOT made, with reasons.

In addition, we recently posted to "misc.jobs.offered" on this net, showing
our intent to hire support/test people directly into Development. These
positions were also posted to the other public services.

We are committed to improving support, not just for the ST/Mega line but
also for the forthcoming 68030/UNIX line. I am sure you all understand that
getting support people with the right mentality to provide pro-active
support, and training them in the peculiar architecture and quirks of the
Atari product line, is not an overnight magical happening.

But happen it will.

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 17:20:54 GMT
From: nunki.usc.edu!castor.usc.edu!rjung@oberon.usc.edu  (Robert Jung)
Subject: The EST?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  Maybe I'm out of it, but does anyone have any information about Atari's
(supposedly) upcoming 32-bit machine, the EST? (Or is this just an earlier
name for the Abaq?)

						--R.J.
						B-)

Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 17:15:35 GMT
From: nunki.usc.edu!castor.usc.edu!rjung@oberon.usc.edu  (Robert Jung)
Subject: Re: MORE on the 16Mhz board
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  Just an idea on MegaByte's proposed 16MHz chip/board/whatever:

  How about Atari signing the product up, and making it part of the
Mega's/ST's? Sure would make it a little easier to sell ST's to "real" users
("Look, if you think it's too slow, you can toggle the speed switch on the
back and double your speed")

  But then again, I'm a crazy dreamer  B-)

Date: 10 Mar 88 18:02:16 GMT
From: pasteur!buddy.Berkeley.EDU!c60b-at@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (John Kawakami -0^0-)
Subject: Translations of German articles.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

From what I read on the net and in magazines, it sounds like the real
slick ST hacks are coming from Germany (volume wise).  What about
English translations of selected German articles?  If there are none,
is there a market for such a volume?  Is anyone out there competent
and willing to translate?

John

John Kawakami          /    c60b-at@buddy.berkeley.edu
  model american      /     cc-28@cory.berkeley.edu
   numbered account  /      ----*     -O^O-

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 16:18:45 GMT
From: cscosl!tw@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu  (Thomas Wolf)
Subject: Re: WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8803100259.AA03230@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

<some deleted stuff>

>>Yet, in the same machine, we have a midi interface.  Those who are interested
>>in good sounding music can add a synthesizer and persue a professional career.
>>If this is cost cutting, how come no other machine comes with one built-in?
>
>	Oh please, isn't this a bit old?  Any idiot knows that all you need
>for midi is a serial port, a simple serial->midi adaptor (extremely cheap),
>and good software.  If I really wanted to, I could hook one up to my
>low-speed digital logic probe (6502 @ 2.4Mhz, can transmit and receive on
>two 76.8KBaud lines simultaniously at full speed without interruption.
>--slow-- MIDI is *simple*).

Well, that's was just the point wasn't it?  On the ST you don't have to do
all this!  And besides, since you're talking about re-hashing "old news":
	ISN'T THAT what you're doing?

< Lot's of deleted OLD news >

I don't mean to perpetuate this seemingly endless Atari/Commodore War.  As
a matter of fact, I don't think there are many people in this news-group
who would.  But why do Amiga owners insist on cross-posting their
"insulting" (for lack of a better word) messages?  I don't mind hearing a
bit of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism every now and then, but that's definitely not
the sort that has been arriving lately.  If you can only repeat criticisms
that have been "fought over" in previous 'scrimmages', why don't you keep
them local to your news-group?  I'm sure your fellow readers will love you
for it!

Please don't bother responding to this "flame" with yet another.  I plan
to just skip this message subject in the future.

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
           or wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 15:26:22 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Kit Kimes)
Subject: Re: Ultima V
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <907@bigtex.uucp>, james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> IN article <2612@crash.cts.com>, mkao@crash.CTS.COM (Mike Kao) wrote:
> > Does anyone have any concrete info on when this will finally be released?
>
> The first units were shipped to the distributor on Feb. 29th.
> --
Someone locally called the company (Origin?) and was told that the
Atari 8bit version should be out this summer and the Atari ST version
should be out sometime in the fall.  They also said that it is the
last software they will port to the Atari 8bit (boo!).

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 17:02:37 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Kit Kimes)
Subject: Re: Packaging Microsoft Write
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <424@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:

>   Anybody know if this is right? Is this just a mistake on my friend, or is
> this some sort of (potentially terrific) promotional scheme we haven't heard
> about? And if so, why isn't Atari PUSHING it???

Atari isn't pushing the ST in America period.  When they get enough that
they can have them in stock and meet demand that would be generated by a
reasonable advertising push, they might have a promotional scheme.  It would
make sense (and be kind of a reward for all the patient waiting we are
doing  :-)  ).

Date: 10 Mar 88 17:24:46 GMT
From: pacbell!att-ih!alberta!myrias!mj@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Michal Jaegermann)
Subject: Re: Atari Forth question
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Anthony Hurst asks:
>>Does anyone out there have a version of Forth (preferably F83)
>>that will run on the ST ?

    Forth on ST was available practically from a day one.  All
implementations, which I am aware of, are F83 with 32-bit wide stack
(so no F83 in a strict sense).  There is 4xForth, a product of
Dragon Group.  Very fast an very "traditional" in feel (you know -
block screens, an editor with a heavy brain damage and the like).
Some swear by it. I strongly dislike its indiosyncratic nature.
    A while ago Mach-Forth was advertised in Forth Dimensions
(the same language for Amiga, Mac and ST).  I have never seen a copy,
but I heard some enthusiastic opinions about it.  Rumors had that it
is no longer available.  I do not know if this is a true or not.
    My personal preference is Forthmacs, by Mitch Bradley.  It is
a stream files based Forth, which uses a version of microEmacs for
its editor.  It is very similar in look, feel and code to a Unix
version of Forth which was quite recently posted to the net.  No big
wonder - the author is the same person.  A "core" part of it -
executables, lots of code, some rudimentary documentation, around
350Kbytes of software, was released by the author into the public
and one may had it for an asking.  Extensions (fuller documentation,
GEM-interface, source with metacompiler, floating point, other goodies)
are for sale for registered users.  The author is on the net
(...sun!wmb).

    Michal Jeagermann
    Myrias Research Corporation
    Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
    ...ihnp4!alberta!myrias!mj

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 88 18:58:50 GMT
From: lakesys!martin@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Martin Wiedmeyer)
Subject: Re: fsel_input
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3768@cup.portal.com> fireplace@cup.portal.com writes:
>Remember, there is a wonderful replacement file selector called the "Universal
>File Selector".  You simply put in in the AUTO folder and forget about it.  It
>adds a click-on drive selector plus Format, Create Folder, Move, Copy, Rename,
>Delete, Disk Info, Print Directory, Protect and Unprotect.  It is well worth
>it's outrageous price of $15 - I suggest you check it out.

I recommend it too from what I've seen of the demo which was posted here. The
only thing that I'd like to see added is user definable masks of showing
*.PRG, or *.C or *.DOC files, instead of typing the blasted things in. Other
than that, it's a fine job.
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 88 20:39:16 GMT
From: wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu  (Ray Wilmott)
Subject: Analog (again)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

++++++++++++++

Seems to me I read a post here back around the middle of January
explaining that Analog had been bought out by a bigger company and
that we could expect a March issue to be out by the middle or end
of February. It's now the middle of March. Anybody hear anything
recently about Analog's L-O-N-G absence, and when, if ever, I can
expect a new issue to arrive in my mailbox???

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 88 22:00:49 GMT
From: rochester!ritcv!vxp6840@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (-Vitas P.-)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <2877@slovax.UUCP> you write:
>> My biggest complaints about the GEM fsel box have NOT been addressed by
>> the posted alternatives.  Here is my wish list, if anybody who's into
>> writing such things wants ideas...
>>
>> The drive:\directory\subdirectory\*.* entry drives me nuts.
>> For one thing, the "*.*" should be the default, without the need
>> to type it.  Then there's the very limited editing of that string.
>> If it says "A:\*.*" and I just want to change the 'A' to 'B', I have
>> to press ESC to clear it all, then retype the whole mess.  Why can't
>> I position the cursor anywhere in the string with the mouse, Mac style?
>> (yeah, I know, Apple's lawyers would get mad...)  If the "*.*" was
>> implicit it wouldn't be so bad.
>>

>On editing the drive directory line:
>
>You can use the arrow keys to edit the drive directory line. To change the
>A to B move the cursor over the A, hit DELETE and type in the B. I do this
>all the time. I do agree with you on the other points. Fsel_input is brain dead.
>It took me a long time to get myself not to hit return after typing in the
>drive spec.
>
>--
>{psivax,ism780}!logico!slovax!dale    :   {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!slovax!dale
>Dale Thomas R & D Associates,3625 Perkins Lane SW,Tacoma,Wa 98499,206-581-1322

Also, if you want to change from drive A: to drive C:, simply press escape
type c: then point your mouse at the bar over the filenames ( you know:
===== *.* ===== ) and press the left mouse button.  This will change the
default to drive C:, change the drive ID to C:\*.* and do a re-directory!

It works and is faster than retyping C:\*.* everytime.

-Vitas P.-  ...!rochester!ritcv!vxp6840

------------------------------

Date: 11 Mar 88 02:31:44 GMT
From: pasteur!sim.Berkeley.EDU!pchris@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Chris Perleberg)
Subject: Assembly Source from Executables
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hi,

	A common problem I've come up against is trying to generate 68000
assembly source code (Motorola format, or any format that can be assembled)
from an ST program (.PRG, .TOS, .TTP).  Often, I have a PD or shareware
program that has a feature I don't like (or doesn't have a feature I like).
If I had the assembly source, I could alter it easily.  Does anybody know of
a program that will generate assembly source code (that can be assembled) from
an executeable file?

Thanks,

	Chris  Perleberg
	pchris@sim.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 19:13:04 GMT
From: eagle!iwml@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Lambert)
Subject: Re: Multi-Bashing
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1350@alliant.Alliant.COM> rosenkra@alliant.UUCP (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:
>regarding Minix, OS-9, etc. do these OS alternatives still support GEM
>AES/VDI calls or do they puntaes() (or equiv) during bootup? can i still
>execute the gulam equiv of "gem mygem.prg" from them? this seems critical
>(i apologize if i missed a similar discussion).
>
>-bill

If the PC-version of Minix is anything to go by, don't expect to run
*any* current ST software under ST-Minix. The whole point of Minix is
that it completely replaces the OS in the ROMS. It comes with a c
compiler, but don't expect to find any TOS or GEM calls in there.

Unless ST-Minix is going to radically change from the design decisions
made in the PC-version, don't expect to run any commercial ST software
under it.
Any comment from the authors?

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------