[comp.sys.atari.st] tex/dvi/SUPRA

lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) (03/12/88)

 Q: I just got dvi2st (PD dvi previewer on the mono ST). From the readme file,
    I gather that I can preview on the ST a remote dvi file (located on a
    VAX/UNIX). Can someone tell me how to do that?  I managed to preview
    the given dvi file if the file and the fonts are on the ST, but how can
    I preview a remote file without downloading it?  I think the server.c
    file has something to do with this?  Help !!

 I ordered the SUPRA 20Meg HardDrive in mid-late Jan from Software Discounters
 of America, and finally received one last week (there was a nation-wide
 back-order). Everything on the drive appears to work fine, except it gives
 an error when I tried a low-level format.  I called SUPRA, and they advised
 me to send it back. Send it back I did last Friday. And guess what? Six
 and a half days later, I received a replacement from SUPRA.  And that's
 East Coast -> West Coast -> East Coast. I'm impressed by the turnaround time.

 Does anyone know why the SUPRA drive spins down whenever I run the PARKING
 program?  All other computers I've seen park the drive head without spinning
 down?   Are there any auto-parking programs for the SUPRA 20Meg?  What's the
 norm for parking on the SUPRA 20 Meg ?

 Many Thanks in advance.

 (my fortune cookie prediction:  Atari will not push ABAQ, but will push the
  M68030/Unix machine instead. )
--
.., the Gods won't mind.  				CSNET:lean@sbcs.csnet
    Gordon Merrick. 		     ARPA:lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (03/14/88)

I hope they will push the Unix machine. If they join the 68000 ABI then all
software written for other Unix machines will run on the ATARI with out and
mods. Not just source compatability but BINARY. It's the wave.

Fred

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!fred
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fred@nosc.mil
INET: fred@pnet01.cts.com

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (03/15/88)

In article <1038@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:

>  Q: I just got dvi2st (PD dvi previewer on the mono ST). From the readme file,
>     I gather that I can preview on the ST a remote dvi file (located on a
>     VAX/UNIX).

Where is this program available?  Does it work as advertised (i.e., can you
really preview a remote file on a Unix machine from your ST without downloading
it)?  If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to the program.

Thanks in advance.

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/17/88)

In article <2672@crash.cts.com> fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) writes:
>I hope they will push the Unix machine. If they join the 68000 ABI then all
>software written for other Unix machines will run on the ATARI with out and
>mods. Not just source compatability but BINARY. It's the wave.

Ahh, we're all complaining that they can't support a simple no MMU, 68000
box running a single-user/single-tasking OS.  But you still want them pursue
a new machine?

Do you think they will find a much more complex, multi-user/multi-tasking system
easier to support?   Who are we kidding?  Take a look at comp.unix.microport
to see what happens when Unix isn't supportted.  And then, look how much time,
manpower, and effort Apple is putting into the Mac II and Unix.

I can see it now.  The high school student slave that takes tech. support
questions: "You say mkfs got a panic?  What's mkfs?  Did you make sure
the joystick was plugged in?"
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE) (03/18/88)

In article <25159@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:

> In article <1038@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:
> >
> >Q: I just got dvi2st (PD dvi previewer on the mono ST). From the readme file,
> >   I gather that I can preview on the ST a remote dvi file (located on a
> >   VAX/UNIX).
>
> Where is this program available?  Does it work as advertised (i.e., can you
> really preview a remote file on a Unix machine from your ST without
> downloading it)?

It is true!
DVIST (and please use this name for it) version 3.0 has a built
in client software to interface with a Unix or OS-9/68000 server across an
8 bit serial interface. We normally use UniTerm to connect to our host
computer at 9600 baud and go through the Edit-TeX cycle to produce a
printable .DVI file. Then from UniTerm we can invoke the DVIST.TTP program with
the following parameters (assuming the foo.dvi is your TeX.dvi file file)

	r:foo -fd:\fonts,a:\fonts,r:/usr/st/fonts

DVIST will recognize the drive prefix 'r:' as being a remote drive,
therefore it will start the unix (or OS-9/68000) server and access foo.dvi
using random access file I/O as needed (there is no need to download the
entire DVI file). In addition, the .PK fonts files may be read across the link
or from the ST's mass storage devices. In the above example when a font file
is not found on the ST's RAM disk (drive D: folder \fonts) it will search in
drive A:\fonts. If still not found it will access the font file on the server.
This approach enable users to have the fonts stored locally while
processing TeX file remotely.

When processing is done the server will automatically terminate the server
program so that when the user re-enters terminal mode he/she will see the
host's prompt.

If there there is sufficient demand I will repost the dvist driver.
--
Avygdor Moise, York University. (C.R.E.S.S.), Petrie Bldg. Rm 340,
               4700 Keele St., North York, Ontario, Canada. M3J 1P3

fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (03/19/88)

All I want is a cheap box. I think ATARI CAN give us a cheap "3,000" 68030
machine. If they stick to the ABI then software and support shouldn't be
as much as a problem. Info can be had just like IBM pc clones.

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (03/20/88)

In article <777@yugas.UUCP> avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE) writes:

>If there there is sufficient demand I will repost the dvist driver.
>--
	Yes, please do post the DVIST driver!

Marty Wiedmeyer
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |