[comp.sys.atari.st] BITNET guru urgently needed

mj@myrias.UUCP (Michal Jaegermann) (03/12/88)

( I have tried many times to get help by private e-mail. No dice.
  Sorry to bother everybody, but an answer can be of wider interest.)

    Is somebody out there who can tell me how to reach UHUPVM1 (Houston)
from BITNET account.  Repeat, I am talking here about BITNET, not uucp.
As you can guess, I was trying, in vain, to reach Houston public server.
So far UHUPVM1, from my point of view, is the closest thing to black
hole you can get.  All my attempts to get any kind of responsse from
UH-INFO, even 'syntax error' message, brought nothing, absolute zero,
zilch. Total silence.  The same happened with my pleas for help
mailed, over BITNET, to UACE0.

    An attempt to use uucp to mail a private message to 'uace0' was,
in comparison, more successful.  At least it was bounced by uhnix1
(this will be University of Houston node, I guess) with a note that
they do not know who an addressee may be.  So, as you can see, I am stuck.

     A hint in Mike's Vederman signature, which says, "Tell UH-INFO..."
is no good for me , since Amdahl machine, to which I have an access
for BITNET connections, does not accept anything even remotely resembling
a syntax above.  It lets me send a message to UH-INFO@UHUPVM1, but
that is it.  At least that means that the address above is recognized
as a valid one.  I tried different lines inside this message, but results
are invariably the same - a complete lack of any kind of reponse.

   Does that mean, by any chance, that to get something from that server
one has to be on BITNET and also work under VM?   University here is using,
for their operating system, something called MTS - if you ever heard about
it.  If this is really the case, and if there are more people around
affected by the same problem, then I have a modest proposal.
Is it possible to arrange a bulk exchange of materials between
UH-INFO@UHUPVM1 and LISTSERV at CANADA01?  The other server seems to
be much more coopeartive.  At least from my point of view. :-).
But a common subset of programs, between these two servers, is rather small.
It is extremely frustrating to be told about all of this "publicly"
available files which are nowhere to be found.  Uniterm 2.20
(and documentation) comes to mind first, but not only.

    Michal Jaegermann
    uucp:    ...alberta!myrias!mj
    BITNET:  CZAK@UALTAMTS

sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) (03/13/88)

I have the same question regarding usenet.  What are these servers?  How do I
find out whats on them?  How do I retrieve files?

I'm sure there are other new users with the same questions so consider posting
to the net.

thanx       ed beers

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!sreeb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!sreeb@nosc.mil
INET: sreeb@pnet01.cts.com

gpm@dukempd.UUCP (Guy Metcalfe) (03/15/88)

In article <570@myrias.UUCP> mj@myrias.UUCP (Michal Jaegermann) writes:
>As you can guess, I was trying, in vain, to reach Houston public server.
>So far UHUPVM1, from my point of view, is the closest thing to black
>hole you can get.

I'll second that.  Good luck trying to find out how to get to Houston.  I have
asked the same question twice over the past 2 months and have gotten no
responce.

(deleted description of the failed tries to access Houston)

>If others are affected by the same problem, then I have a modest proposal.
>Is it possible to arrange a bulk exchange of materials between
>UH-INFO@UHUPVM1 and LISTSERV at CANADA01?  The other server seems to
>be much more coopeartive.  At least from my point of view. :-).
>
>    Michal Jaegermann

Again, I have suggested this within the past month, and was met with stony
silence on the idea.  I think this exchange, while cumbersome at first, is
a good idea.  I'm happy to see someone else bring it up.  Michal Jaegermann
and I can't be the only people in the world who can't get to Houston.  How many
have this deficiency?  Speak up!  If the need proves to be widespread, then at
the very least the writers might send copies of their useful work to BOTH
Houston and Canada.
	Also, let's not forget the other, smaller servers.
server@uk.ac.bradford.eleceng.marvin is out there in england, but can't mail
back to me and so is probably inaccessible to many others as well.  In
addition I just read of a new server netlib@lakesys.  These and any others
should also be included in the file swapping.
	Let's work toward full software accessibility!
--
	Guy Metcalfe
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	gpm@dukempd.uucp

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (03/16/88)

In article <621@dukempd.UUCP> gpm@dukempd.UUCP (Guy Metcalfe) writes:
>I'll second that.  Good luck trying to find out how to get to Houston.  I have
>asked the same question twice over the past 2 months and have gotten no
>responce.

I too have had no luck in recent requests to UACE. In the last post of files
available there was some mention of not being able to service anyone whose
system is not connected to BITNET... :-(. About six months ago I did get some
files I requested, however.

>>Is it possible to arrange a bulk exchange of materials between
>>UH-INFO@UHUPVM1 and LISTSERV at CANADA01?  The other server seems to
>>be much more coopeartive.  At least from my point of view. :-).

I have never gotten any sort of answer from LISTSERV to numerous requests of
mine.

>	Also, let's not forget the other, smaller servers.
>server@uk.ac.bradford.eleceng.marvin is out there in england, but can't mail
>back to me and so is probably inaccessible to many others as well.

I haven't gotten an answer from this server either.

>addition I just read of a new server netlib@lakesys.  These and any others
>should also be included in the file swapping.

We here at lakesys' netlib will be happy to process requests for the files we
have. If authors would like to send us their work, we'll make it available.
Hopefully being accessable via UUCP will enable us to reach numerous sites.

To get our index, send the following to netlib@lakesys.UUCP:

send index from archives.atari

a subject is not needed on your message.

>	Let's work toward full software accessibility!

I absolutely agree!

Marty Wiedmeyer
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

pgydow@sunybcs.uucp (Bruce Dow) (03/17/88)

 I have had no trouble reaching all of the bitnet sites from here
(I cheated I used bitnet)
If people send me requests for files I will forward them in either
direction....note if you send a request please be patient
I only send files at nite and bitnet has a habit of going down
at night....Johnn Dooley

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) (03/24/88)

In article <621@dukempd.UUCP> gpm@dukempd.UUCP (Guy Metcalfe) writes:
>In article <570@myrias.UUCP> mj@myrias.UUCP (Michal Jaegermann) writes:
>>As you can guess, I was trying, in vain, to reach Houston public server.
>>So far UHUPVM1, from my point of view, is the closest thing to black
>>hole you can get.
>
>I'll second that.  Good luck trying to find out how to get to Houston.  I have
>asked the same question twice over the past 2 months and have gotten no
>responce.

OK, here is an official response from me, the KEEPER of ATARINET.

ATARINET is an INTERACTIVE ONLY file server.
This means you MUST be on BITNET and have interactive message facilities
available for your use.

On a VAX this is the SEND or SEND/REMOTE commands.
On CMS this is the TELL or MSG command.

I take extremely small mail requests, but I find that very difficult and
timely to process.

If you are on USENET, then give up hope.  Sorry.  :-(

listserv at canada01 will take mail requests, there are also various sites which
allow anonymous FTP, but I do not have explicit directions (or even sites).

If someone knows CMS EXEC2 or REXX, and would like to write me a simple
program to parse mail messages and send requested files, I would be willing
to run a batch every day.

Our system people will not install a listserver because they don't want to
take the time to maintain it.  (double) :-(

If you are on BITNET and have INTERACTIVE messaging, send a message like:

TELL UH-INFO AT UHUPVM1 ATARINET HELP   -or-
SEND UH-INFO@UHUPVM1 ATARINET HELP

- Mike Vederman

(Maybe we'll have better one of these days.  Still, last month we had 3173
 accesses to ATARINET.)
--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as: