[comp.sys.atari.st] RTX, questions

870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) (03/22/88)

I am considering buying the RTX program, but I need to know somethings first.
If these questions seem kind of on the beginner level that is because they are!
Is it possible to say run BB/ST or Michtrons BBS in the background while using
a GEM based program in the foreground? Also will it work with Laser C(I know
that Laser C runs stuff in the background itself)? Also how much of a lose in
speed is there by running one of these prgs. in the background?
later
Barry(all answers will be a help)

P.S. Also could anyone please pass on any likes or dislikes about RTX.

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/25/88)

In article <995@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
>I am considering buying the RTX program, but I need to know somethings first.
>If these questions seem kind of on the beginner level that is because they are!
>Is it possible to say run BB/ST or Michtrons BBS in the background while using
>a GEM based program in the foreground? Also will it work with Laser C(I know
>that Laser C runs stuff in the background itself)? Also how much of a lose in
>speed is there by running one of these prgs. in the background?

RTX has the capability to run programs in the background.  I know Innersactum
BBS and Forem ST operate in the background while another program is used in
the foreground.  I think Laser C conflicts with MT C-Shell and RTX.  I have
sent Megamax a test copy of MT C-Shell and I have yet to receive a copy of
Laser C for testing.  Speed loss depends a lot on the program in question.
With a BBS, there isn't that much going on at 1200 or 2400 baud, and there's
usually plenty of CPU left over for the foreground task.

If you are a beginner, and not a programmer, please don't buy RTX.  It's
not what you want.  MT C-Shell is the better choice for beginners.  If you
want to try your hand at writing your own multitasking programs, then get
RTX, but you will need a good C compiler that works well with RTX, like Mark
Williams C.  I hope this helps.

--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what