[comp.sys.atari.st] smalltalk for the st?

miken@hcrvx1.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) (03/23/88)

i should think that the ST, with bitmapped screen and drawing/windowing
primitives, would be a natural for something like Smalltalk/V, certainly
as good if not better then a PC would be (flames to /dev/null). does
anyone know of a version of smalltalk that runs on the ST? i have
Little Smalltalk running here at work and could/would port it if there
isn't a version already running on an ST out there somewhere, but i'd
rather not reinvent the wheel.

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (03/25/88)

There is a port of SmallTalk-80 for the ST. It looks pretty complete, and
they claim it runs exactly the same image as the SUN version. It's not
cheap (~ DM 2000, that's 1300 Dollars, I think), but it seems to be
worth it if you are serious on ST SmallTalk.

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
BIX:  fheinz				| Beusselstr. 21

u14@nikhefh.hep.nl (Daan Josephus Jitta) (03/26/88)

In article <1593@hcrvx1.UUCP> miken@hcrvx1.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>[stuff deleted]. does
>anyone know of a version of smalltalk that runs on the ST? i have
>Little Smalltalk running here at work and could/would port it if there
>isn't a version already running on an ST out there somewhere, but i'd
>rather not reinvent the wheel.

At the moment I think there are TWO versions of Smalltalk for the ST. I just
read an article in the German magazine "68000er/ST Magazin" about an
implementation of Smalltalk-80 for the ST. This implementation requires a
MEGA [2,4] ST because the size of the virtual system image is over 1.4 MByte.
The price mentioned in the article is: 1700 DM for a small "CL" version,
and 2260 DM for a professional version. With the professional version one can
also talk to hardware components like the serial and parellel port.
Considering the hardcopies in the magazine Smalltalk-80 on the ST has
excellent graphics! The ST screen acts as a sliding window on the huge,
virtual Smalltalk-80 desktop.

The second Smalltalk for the ST that I know of is a port of Little Smalltalk
made by a friend of mine. If anyone has interest, I can ask him for the
package and post it. It runs on any ST (although I'm not quite sure about
machines with less than 1 MByte of memory).

                       Daan Josephus Jitta.

dbc5390@acf5.NYU.EDU (David B. Chorlian) (03/26/88)

Little Smalltalk for the ST is available from ST Express
PO Box 2383, La Habra, CA, 90632.  I haven't tried mine yet.
David B. Chorlian  (dbc5390@acf5.nyu.edu)

dclemans@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) (03/29/88)

From article <1593@hcrvx1.UUCP>, by miken@hcrvx1.UUCP (Mike Nemeth):
> i should think that the ST, with bitmapped screen and drawing/windowing
> primitives, would be a natural for something like Smalltalk/V, certainly
> as good if not better then a PC would be (flames to /dev/null). does
> anyone know of a version of smalltalk that runs on the ST? i have
> Little Smalltalk running here at work and could/would port it if there
> isn't a version already running on an ST out there somewhere, but i'd
> rather not reinvent the wheel.

A full version of Smalltalk is available for the Mega-ST from George Heeg, Inc.
in Germany.  I'm not sure, but you could possibly also buy it from
Parc Place Systems in the US (Parc Place Systems is the Xerox offshoot
that markets Smalltalk).  Presumably it would run on a standard ST with
appropriate memory.

As far as Little Smalltalk goes, I've got version 2.02 partially ported.
Little Smalltalk doesn't have graphics, windowing, etc. though.

dgc