[comp.sys.atari.st] Housten file server

nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") (03/23/88)

I am having problems making contact with

      UH-INFO%UHUPVM1.BITNET

Here is the output I get.

>Batch SMTP transaction log follows:
>
>220 UHUPVM1.BITNET Columbia MAILER X1.24 BSMTP service ready.
>050 HELO CUNYVM.BITNET
>250 UHUPVM1.BITNET Hello CUNYVM.BITNET
>050 TICK 2299
>250 2299 ... that's the ticket.
>050 MAIL FROM:<nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA>
>250 <nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA>... sender OK.
>050 RCPT TO:<UH-INFO@UHUPVM1>
>250 <UH-INFO@UHUPVM1>... recipient OK.
>050 DATA
>354 Start mail input.  End with <crlf>.<crlf>
>554-Mail not delivered to some or all recipients:
>554 Mail to UH-INFO  is not allowed.
>050 QUIT
>221 UHUPVM1.BITNET Columbia MAILER BSMTP service done.

Original message follows:

Date:     Mon, 21 Mar 88 10:42:19 CST
From:     "Norman R. Frech" <nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA>
To:       UH-INFO%UHUPVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

LIST

----- End of forwarded messages

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Norm Frech

Norm Frech  <nfrech@almsa-1.arpa>
USAMC ALMSA, ATTN:  AMXAL-HL, Box 1578, St.Louis, MO 63188-1578
COMMERICAL: (314) 263-5231     AUTOVON:  693-5231
"I don't want to seem like a heavy bread head, but ..."
Neal, The Young Ones.

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (03/24/88)

In article <8803230043.AA01033@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") writes:
>I am having problems making contact with
>
>      UH-INFO%UHUPVM1.BITNET
>
>Here is the output I get.

>>Batch SMTP transaction log follows:

>>554-Mail not delivered to some or all recipients:
>>554 Mail to UH-INFO  is not allowed.

Right.  I had the same problem.

Either the file server in Huston is dead or else someone has
decided to not allow the server to operate.   I suspect the
latter.  I think that someone there could have mentioned it...

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) (03/29/88)

As far as I know, mail used to go thru to uh-info and then the post master
would forward it to me.  By the looks of recently posted and returned mail
messages, I would say that the post master got tired of handling the dead
mail and set the mailer to return mail messages.  UH-INFO is an INTERACTIVE
file server ONLY.  Sorry.

I will check with the post master to see if my guess is correct.

- Mike

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as: