[comp.sys.atari.st] LISP Interpreter ???

achowe@watmsg.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack) (03/16/88)

Does anyone know of a LISP for the ST either commercial or PD.
A simple implementation will do. Only need it for study purposes
ie. doing CS assignments.

--
Anthony C. Howe                         achowe@watmsg.waterloo.edu

"The definition of flying: throwing yourself at the ground and missing."
		- Douglas Adam's  "Life, the Universe and Everything"

rjung@sal1.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/17/88)

In article <17499@watmath.waterloo.edu> achowe@watmsg.UUCP (CrackerJack) writes:
>Does anyone know of a LISP for the ST either commercial or PD.
>A simple implementation will do. Only need it for study purposes
>ie. doing CS assignments.

  The only PD LISP interpreter I know of is XLISP, which you can get in the
public domain. Antic offers it in their "ST PD library", and if you order it
from them, it's $12 (shipping/handling/etc.). If you have a friend who has it,
maybe you can just get a copy from him/er (is this legal?)

  Like anything PD, it has no docs and no warranties. You throw the die and
take your chances. I can't say whether this is any good or not (I haven't gotten
it -- yet!), but this might be of interest to your query.

						--R.J.
						B-)
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

dale@slovax.UUCP (Dale L. Thomas) (03/18/88)

> Does anyone know of a LISP for the ST either commercial or PD.
> A simple implementation will do. Only need it for study purposes
> ie. doing CS assignments.
>

> --
> Anthony C. Howe                         achowe@watmsg.waterloo.edu
>
> "The definition of flying: throwing yourself at the ground and missing."
> 		- Douglas Adam's  "Life, the Universe and Everything"

Xlisp is available for the ST and is PD. It was posted to the net a long
time ago. The latest version is available on CompuServe. I think its
version 2.0. Also Metacompco sells a version of Lisp for the ST.
--
{psivax,ism780}!logico!slovax!dale    :   {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!slovax!dale
Dale Thomas R & D Associates,3625 Perkins Lane SW,Tacoma,Wa 98499,206-581-1322

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/18/88)

From article <17499@watmath.waterloo.edu>,
by achowe@watmsg.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack):
> Does anyone know of a LISP for the ST either commercial or PD.
> A simple implementation will do. Only need it for study purposes
> ie. doing CS assignments.

I have the source to Xlisp version something -- not very recent.  It's
at home in an ARC file, but it's really big.  The executable alone is
big, too.  I got it off a BBS in early 1986 -- you might ask BBS
operators around you if they have it in their offline storage.  It's
pretty interesting, but lacked some things I needed for real use.  With
source, I could add them, but I just haven't been motivated.  Too hard
to get into somebody else's head to understand the implementation,
for one thing.

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (03/18/88)

In article <2941@slovax.UUCP> dale@slovax.UUCP (Dale L. Thomas) writes:

>Xlisp is available for the ST and is PD. It was posted to the net a long
>time ago. The latest version is available on CompuServe. I think its
>version 2.0. Also Metacompco sells a version of Lisp for the ST.

A version of Xlisp is now available on netlib@lakesys.UUCP, a mini-fileserver.

To get the index send the following to netlib@lakesys.UUCP:

send index from archives.atari

If *anyone* has trouble getting the index or files which are requested, please
mail martin@lakesys.UUCP! We'd like to be able to reach as many folks as
possible. If we don't know of problems, we can't straighten them out...

	Marty Wiedmeyer
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) (03/19/88)

Just a little addendum to the suggestion of XLISP as a learning tool for LISP.
The author is Dave Betz, of Byte Magazine.  He distributes it if necessary,
too.  Both source and executables are pretty widely available; I have compiled
an IBM PC version on the ST with no difficulty.  A source of programs that may
not pop into everyone's mind is people with DECUS symposium tapes: XLISP source
has been in several times (PC and VAX, same code--talk about portability!).

dmb@zinn.UUCP (David Betz) (03/24/88)

In article <1019@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> I have the source to Xlisp version something -- not very recent.  It's
> at home in an ARC file, but it's really big.
> It's
> pretty interesting, but lacked some things I needed for real use.

Allan,
  You mentioned that XLisp lacked some things you needed.  If you'll send
me a list of what you're looking for, I'll certainly consider adding it
to the next release.  BTW, the current version is 2.0 and it *does* run on
the Atari ST (and is available on BIX).
    David Betz

betz@mhis.UUCP (...decvax!elrond!zinn!mhis!dmb)
or
dmb@zinn.UUCP (...decvax!elrond!zinn!dmb)

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (03/25/88)

In article <500@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@sal1.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
>   The only PD LISP interpreter I know of is XLISP, which you can get in the
> public domain. Antic offers it in their "ST PD library", and if you order it
> from them, it's $12 (shipping/handling/etc.). If you have a friend who has it,
> maybe you can just get a copy from him/er (is this legal?)

Yah, it's legal, XLISP is *truly* Public Domain, and all of us who
want to learn something about Lisp without spending a lot of money owe
Dave Betz a great thanks.

Rumor has it Dave and others are working on a new version of XLISP for
the ST, Amiga, and Mac, that support each system's environment in
native lisp.  Like windows as objects, and menu events as
catch-and-throw type messages.  I'd really like to see this!

>   Like anything PD, it has no docs and no warranties.

Unlike most PD, you're only half-right.  XLISP has no warranties, of
course, but it comes with a fairly well-written ~60 page user manual
on the disk.  Looks pretty good when enhanced somewhat with your
favorite WP and printed on a laser printer.  :-)

And XLISP *does* come with the sources, in C.  Great for when you want
to fix something that doesn't quite work the way to expect it too, if
you're *REALLY GOOD* at hacking Lisp, C, and interpreters in general.

	Wes Peters
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu (Thomas Wolf) (03/26/88)

In article <219@zinn.UUCP> dmb@zinn.UUCP (David Betz) writes:
[some deleted text]
>... BTW, the current version is 2.0 and it *does* run on
>the Atari ST (and is available on BIX).
>    David Betz
[some more deleted]

Could someone make this version of XLisp available in the .bin. section?
I don't have access to BIX and would like to get a copy.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
          or  wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/27/88)

In article <86@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>> maybe you can just get a copy from him/er (is this legal?)
>
>Yah, it's legal, XLISP is *truly* Public Domain, and all of us who
>want to learn something about Lisp without spending a lot of money owe
>Dave Betz a great thanks.

  Right. Thanks, Dave! (Somebody pass this on)

>Rumor has it Dave and others are working on a new version of XLISP for
>the ST, Amiga, and Mac, that support each system's environment in
>native lisp.  Like windows as objects, and menu events as
>catch-and-throw type messages.  I'd really like to see this!

  No offense to Dave or anything (since I just thanked him), but I'm not
sure if a windowed LISP is a good idea... Or have you never seen ST BASIC?
Heck, the only *really*good* languages I've seen for ANY computer all
don't use windows...

						--R.J.
						B-)

(My goal in life is to make the Atari-dominance of _Blade_Runner_ a
	reality...)

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (03/29/88)

In article <588@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
> Heck, the only *really*good* languages I've seen for ANY computer all
> don't use windows...

Ah.  I take it you've never seen a good Smalltalk system.  Or Modula-2
on a Lilith.  Or even C/C++ on a Sun.  If you've never experienced
window systems on a workstation with enough screen real estate to be
useful, you haven't really experienced windows.  I have a mono monitor
on my ancient 520ST at home, and on my Mega 2 at work; the color loses
too many pixels to interest me.

	Wes Peters

P.S.  I don't know if you've ever been involved in a large-scale s/w
development project, but picture this:  a s/w engineering system,
using windowed micros for terminals and a VAX/VMS or unix mini/micro
server to hold the on-line text for the requirements doc, the design
doc, and the source.

You're editing your source code, and you want to take a look at the
requirement this section of code is derived from.  You click on a
little "handle" in the code window, and another window opens showing
you the requirement that drives this section.  A third window shows
the design doc section describing this code.  Whaddya think?