[comp.sys.atari.st] l

Postmas@UNCACDC.BITNET (University of Calgary Postmaster) (03/30/88)

Comment: 550  The supplied name was not found in the system mail table.

--------------------RETURNED MAIL FILE--------------------
Date:         Sun, 27 Mar 88 14:41:50 PST
Sender:       INFO-ATARI16 Discussion <INFO-A16@CANADA01>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was
              Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
From:         Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #154
To:           Michael Hoffos <MWHOFFOS@UNCAMULT>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Sunday, March 27, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 154

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                ST Kermit (was Re: secrets of FLASH?)
                           Mark Williams C
                    Mice and possible substitutes
                          Re: Auto Ram Disk
                            Auto Ram Disk
                    Spectrum 512 and my machine...
                     Re: atari to appletalk quest
                       Re: LISP Interpreter ???
                              ST Prologs
                  The lawsuit for the rest of us....
                      Re: smalltalk for the st?
            Re: Microsoft word support for Epson printers
                            Re: dead mice
                         Re: Three questions.

Date: 24 Mar 88 02:44:05 GMT
From: lakesys!martin@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Martin Wiedmeyer)
Subject: ST Kermit (was Re: secrets of FLASH?)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

UniTerm has a fine implementation of Kermit :-). It's available from
netlib@lakesys.UUCP. Send the message 'send index from archives.atari'.

Marty Wiedmeyer
--
:    Marty Wiedmeyer                                           :
:       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        :

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 88 23:25:47 GMT
From: cen@psuvm.bitnet
Subject: Mark Williams C
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    HI

         I am in the market for a C compilier. I think I've decided on
    MWC, but I'm wondered how useable it is on a ST with 1 meg and 1
    SS drive.  If anyone has used this configuration, could I hear some
    comments.
                                  Jim Condon
                                  CEN at PSUVM

    P.S.      Does anyone know where you can find v2.0 of Xlisp on the
         net?

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 88 16:48:11 GMT
From: nunki.usc.edu!sal4.usc.edu!rjung@oberon.usc.edu  (Robert Jung)
Subject: Mice and possible substitutes
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1117@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>buy a MouseBall from E A Brown.  $39 and it doesn't move.  Therefore it takes
>less space and doesn't fall on the floor.

  Yeah, but dragging with one of those must be pretty hard...

  I'll stick with my mouse, thank you. Nothing against your suggestion (hey,
go ahead), but I like the ability to zip across the screen, clicking everything
in sight. Besides, I'm lame with a track-ball.

                        --R.J.
                        B-)

P.S. And Apple ain't taking THAT away from me!
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

------------------------------

Date: 26 Mar 88 04:36:03 GMT
From: acf5!dbc5390@nyu.edu  (David B. Chorlian)
Subject: Re: Auto Ram Disk
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I have a ramdisk utility from OSS (Personal Pascal) which has a
provision for creating a script which will automatically
copy files to the ramdisk at bootup. I never use it. Also there are
around 20 PD ramdisks.  It's hard to imagine that none of them have
this feature.  A number of ST magazines maintain libraries of PD
software, and you can get a disk which will contain say 5 ramdisk
programs with various other utilities.
David B. Chorlian  (dbc5390@acf5.nyu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 88 20:40:00 GMT
From: sunybcs!ugptucha@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Ray Ptucha)
Subject: Auto Ram Disk
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Does anyone out there know of a program that allows you to boot
up your system with a ram disk installed complete with files in it?

I am currently using Rdy-disk Ram from MWC.  I would like to be able
to turn on the power to my system and when my prompt appears I already
have my ram disk installed with the compiler, editor, etc.

Is there such a program.  It would be a real handy thing to have!

Thanks for your help.

Ray Ptucha, SUNY/Buffalo Computing Center, UCS Student Consultant:
csnet:    ugptucha@buffalo.csnet
uucp:    ..!{nike:watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugptucha
bitnet:    ugptucha@sunybcs.bitnet   <-OR->   acscray@ubvmsc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 88 18:12:28 GMT
From: pacbell!att-ih!alberta!sask!long@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Warren Long)
Subject: Spectrum 512 and my machine...
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I have discovered something very interesting about either my
machine or about Spectrum 512 (demo).  When I first turn on my ST
and display Spectrum images, it works perfectly.  After about
5 minutes, the images start to flicker (only certain pixels).  After
more time (about 2 more minutes), more and more pixels have started
to flicker, eventually ending up with the whole image being a
flickering, indistinguishable mess.  It's a neat effect, but
undesired.

Why is this happening??  My guess is that somehow as my machine gets
warmer, something doesn't run as fast.  Anybody have any guesses as
to what is happenning??  (1 Meg. 520 ST, using colour TV).  Is my
memory dubious?  Is my video shifter about to die a painful death??

Thanks, Warren           (long@sask)

--
=-=-=-=-=-Warren Long at University of Saskatchewan, Canada-=-=-=-=-
Home: 78 Carleton Dr.,Saskatoon, Sasakatchewan, S7H 3N6

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 88 09:16:16 GMT
From: uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes@gr.utah.edu  (Barnacle Wes)
Subject: Re: atari to appletalk quest
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <512@uhnix2.UUCP>, uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) writes:
> Unfortunately, this cannot be done with the ST as it stands without external
> hardware (probably thru the DMA port).  The reason for this is that the
> AppleTalk network uses a baud rate far greater than the ST can produce.

Not true.  The MIDI port can be easily driven at 500K bps, much faster
than Apple's LocalTalk hardware, which is essentially an RS-422.  If
you play with the baud rate generator on the RS232 port, you might be
able to get the kind of speed LocalTalk uses.

The ST's RS232 port is driven off the USART built into the 68901 MFP
chip.  The clock for this USART is Timer D on the 68901.  By
programming the 68901 carefully, using the Timer D registers and the
USART Conrtrol REgister (bit 7), you _might_ be able to build a
LocalTalk connector.  Software to use it is quite another question :-).

    Wes Peters
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 88 20:18:41 GMT
From: uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes@gr.utah.edu  (Barnacle Wes)
Subject: Re: LISP Interpreter ???
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <500@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@sal1.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
>   The only PD LISP interpreter I know of is XLISP, which you can get in the
> public domain. Antic offers it in their "ST PD library", and if you order it
> from them, it's $12 (shipping/handling/etc.). If you have a friend who has it,
> maybe you can just get a copy from him/er (is this legal?)

Yah, it's legal, XLISP is *truly* Public Domain, and all of us who
want to learn something about Lisp without spending a lot of money owe
Dave Betz a great thanks.

Rumor has it Dave and others are working on a new version of XLISP for
the ST, Amiga, and Mac, that support each system's environment in
native lisp.  Like windows as objects, and menu events as
catch-and-throw type messages.  I'd really like to see this!

>   Like anything PD, it has no docs and no warranties.

Unlike most PD, you're only half-right.  XLISP has no warranties, of
course, but it comes with a fairly well-written ~60 page user manual
on the disk.  Looks pretty good when enhanced somewhat with your
favorite WP and printed on a laser printer.  :-)

And XLISP *does* come with the sources, in C.  Great for when you want
to fix something that doesn't quite work the way to expect it too, if
you're *REALLY GOOD* at hacking Lisp, C, and interpreters in general.

    Wes Peters

Date: 24 Mar 88 15:13:19 GMT
From: decvax!mandrill!pjd@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (dr. funk)
Subject: ST Prologs
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Don't pass XPRO by just because it is $39.95 versus the $199 price
of MProlog. I have used both and XPRO is a genuinely capable Prolog.
XPRO also has access to GEM/VDI/TOS. MProlog supports Eagle (3D turtle)
graphics, but NO mouse input device! Both are interpreted. (Wish
I had benchmark figures for a better comparison.)

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 88 15:17:46 GMT
From: decvax!mandrill!pjd@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (dr. funk)
Subject: The lawsuit for the rest of us....
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Two quotable quotes:

Prabhaker Mateti: "Let's hope IBM joins the suit and they do
the job right."

Gred Ordy: "When the lawyers got done and the dust settled, it
wasn't clear that society was advanced in any way."

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 88 18:14:11 GMT
From: mcvax!nikhefh!u14@uunet.uu.net  (Daan Josephus Jitta)
Subject: Re: smalltalk for the st?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1593@hcrvx1.UUCP> miken@hcrvx1.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>[stuff deleted]. does
>anyone know of a version of smalltalk that runs on the ST? i have
>Little Smalltalk running here at work and could/would port it if there
>isn't a version already running on an ST out there somewhere, but i'd
>rather not reinvent the wheel.

At the moment I think there are TWO versions of Smalltalk for the ST. I just
read an article in the German magazine "68000er/ST Magazin" about an
implementation of Smalltalk-80 for the ST. This implementation requires a
MEGA [2,4] ST because the size of the virtual system image is over 1.4 MByte.
The price mentioned in the article is: 1700 DM for a small "CL" version,
and 2260 DM for a professional version. With the professional version one can
also talk to hardware components like the serial and parellel port.
Considering the hardcopies in the magazine Smalltalk-80 on the ST has
excellent graphics! The ST screen acts as a sliding window on the huge,
virtual Smalltalk-80 desktop.

The second Smalltalk for the ST that I know of is a port of Little Smalltalk
made by a friend of mine. If anyone has interest, I can ask him for the
package and post it. It runs on any ST (although I'm not quite sure about
machines with less than 1 MByte of memory).

                       Daan Josephus Jitta.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 88 19:49:02 GMT
From: mnetor!utgpu!lharris@uunet.uu.net  (Leonard Harris)
Subject: Re: Microsoft word support for Epson printers
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <376@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> rowley@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Karl Rowley)
 writes:

>In a recent posting I stated that Microsoft Write from Atari does not
>include GDOS support for Epson FX-80 printers.  It seemed too dumb to be
>true.
>
>Well it is true, but there is a solution besides buying Easy Draw.  At
>B and C Computervision last weekend  I saw some diskettes from Atari
>labeled "GDOS Fonts and Device Driver".  There was one disk for the
>Epson FX-80 printers, and one for a Star printer.  The disks were priced
>at $5 each, a price not a soul could object to.  It was true, and it was
>good.
>
>Also, I picked up a copy of FONTZ!  More on this later ....
>
>                Karl Rowley
>                rowley@orville.nas.nasa.gov
>                ames!orville.nas.nasa.gov!rowley
>
>"Any views expressed are my own."

The copies of Microsoft Word being sold in Canada (still version 1.0) now
come with epson and okidata drivers.  One huge problem though... Word
reformats your document when using the graphics print and the epson
driver - so what you see IS NOT what you get.  Really frustrating on
long documents!
/leonard

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 88 19:18:37 GMT
From: sco!sethk@uunet.uu.net  (Seth Katz)
Subject: Re: dead mice
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

chatterchatterchatter<4052@cup.portal.com>chatterchatterStMac@cup.portal.com:
: re: a reliable replacement for mice....
:
: I use a trackball - not hard to do...just get a joystick extension cable from
: your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack ( make sure it has all 9 wires ) and
: a DB-9 connector.....a little time with a soldering iron and BINGO!....
: only takes up about a 3x3 or 4x4 square on the ol' desktop.
:
: sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Stephen_Macuch (StMac)

[][][][][][][][][][][]
I went to Radio Shack last night and had a look at the materials
described above. All you are describing is a 9-pin connector and
a joystick extension cable. These items will not do the trick.
Some wires have to be crossed. I would appreciate a list of how
to wire this.
BTW, this is not an easy soldering job, cadets.
-s

--
microsof
uunet         \____sco!sethk        I can make up my own opinions now.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 88 21:19:03 GMT
From: amdahl!pacbell!att-ih!chinet!dag@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Daniel A. Glasser)
Subject: Re: Three questions.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The documentation for these two routines was omitted from the first few
revisons of the MWC manual.  They were included in the manual (revison 4)
that was shipped with version 2.1.7.  With several products on the market
and several more in development, sometimes these things slip past overworked
tech writers...  (and those who review the manual drafts)

access -- unix standard library function (libc)
    Check to see if a file can be accessed in a given mode
    #include <access.h>
    int access(filename, mode) char *filename; int mode;

    access check whether a file can be accessed in the mode you wish.
    filename is the full path name of the file you wish to check.
    mode is the mode in which you wish to access file filename, as
    follows:
          value    define        access
        1    AEXEC        execute
        2    AWRITE        write/append
        4    AREAD        read
    The defined values are set up by the header, access.h.
    access returns zero if filename can be accessed in the requested mode,
    non-zero if not.

    <example omitted>

path -- Coherent library function (libc)
    find a file in directories specified in a path list
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <path.h>
    char *path(pathlst, filename, mode) char *pathlst, *filename; int mode;

    path is a general function that finds a file along a path.
    pathlst points to a null terminated string containing the names
    of the directories to be searched for filename, in search order,
    separated by commas.  filename points to a null terminated string
    containing the name of the file (including extension) for the
    search, and mode is the mode of access desired, as used in the
    libc function access.  path searches each directory in pathlst
    until a file with name filename that can be accessed for the
    desired mode is found or the end of the list is reached.
    If the file is found, path returns a pointer to a static internal
    buffer that contains the pathname that the file can be opened as.
    This buffer is overwritten by subsequent calls to path.
    If the file is not found, path returns NULL.

    The header file path.h includes default paths for lookup of
    binary (programs) and library (programs, data, objects, etc.)
    files, defined as DEFPATH and DEFLIBPATH, respectively.
    (these correspond to the PATH and LIBPATH environment variables
    used in MSH.)

    example:

/*
 * Search along PATH (or a default) for each of the files on the command
 * line.  Prints out the first occurrence of each file to which you have
 * execute access that is found, or a message that says it is not found
 * if it can't find it.
 *
 * This is not the example for path() from the Mark Williams C manual,
 * similar, but not the same.
 */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <path.h>

extern char *path();
extern char *getenv();

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char *argv[];
{
    char *fullpath, *pathspec;
    int i;

    /* We are going to look up our files along PATH, from the env. */
    if ((pathspec = getenv("PATH")) == NULL)
        pathspec = DEFPATH;    /* If none in the env, use default */

    /* Loop through all the files... */
    for (i = 1; i < argc; ++i)
        if ((fullpath = path(pathspec, argv[i], 1)) == NULL)
            printf("%s not found along path %s\n",
                argv[i], pathspec);
        else
            printf("%s found as %s\n", argv[i], fullpath);
    exit(0);
}

Note that the above example program was written out of my head.  I used
the MWC manual for the text, though I paraphrased a bit, but the example
is new and I have not tested this program.  I believe it should work.

--
        Daniel A. Glasser    dag@chinet.UUCP
    One of those things that goes "BUMP!!! (ouch!)" in the night.

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------