[comp.sys.atari.st] GDOS printouts from Uniterm

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (03/31/88)

	I've been trying to get GDOS printouts of tektroniks graphic output.  I
can use <Alt><f3> to generate a metafile, but if I try to send output to the
printer, I get a "Can't open printer device" error.  If I run OUTPUT.PRG
within Uniterm, I get the same result.  If I exit Uniterm, then run OUTPUT.PRG,
it works fine.  Lastly, the metafiles work fine with OUTPUT.PRG, but not with
Easy-Draw.  My version of GDOS announces itself as "Atari GDOS Release 1.0."
Any suggestions?

									Matthew Seitz

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (04/01/88)

Matthew Seitz writes:
>        I've been trying to get GDOS printouts of tektroniks graphic output.  I
>can use <Alt><f3> to generate a metafile, but if I try to send output to the
>printer, I get a "Can't open printer device" error.  If I run OUTPUT.PRG
>within Uniterm, I get the same result.  If I exit Uniterm, then run OUTPUT.PRG,
>it works fine. .................

Probaly you are not reserving enough memory for the printer driver, it needs
a LOT more than the metafile driver (which is pretty trvial, it more or less
just writes the opcode and the various VDI arrays to disk). It does work, I've
used it with all kind of printers, including the Atari Laser.

>..........   Lastly, the metafiles work fine with OUTPUT.PRG, but not with
>Easy-Draw.  My version of GDOS announces itself as "Atari GDOS Release 1.0."
>Any suggestions?

Tell MiGraph that they should keep to the GEM specifications. Other solution:
there is program from Don Rice that transforms the normal (UniTerm) metafile
format to Easy-Draw format, I'll probably send a copy of it to the moderator
of the comp.*.atari.st groups when I send him the latest UniTerm version (someti
this weekend).

                                  Simon Poole

                             UUCP:   ..mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole
                             Bitnet: K538915@CZHRZU1A