[comp.sys.atari.st] International Developers Group

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (04/02/88)

Sorry if this is a repeat, but for some reason the previous posting didn't
make it out to the local sites...

In article <89@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <187@bdt.UUCP>, david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>> We need to form some sort of a developer association with developers
>> agreeing to support each other and working together to provide mutual
>> compatibility.  It worked for MWC and BDT, I think it can work on a
>> larger scale.
>
>Yah, yah, that's the ticket!  I would seriously be willing to support
>such an enterprise.  User's groups are the way users get support for
>their machines, what we need is a developer's group, perhaps a
>non-profit corporation or something.  This would allow, even
>encourage, sharing of information.  I might even be willing to donate
>some time; this is the first worthwhile venture I've heard of in quite
>a while.
>	Wes Peters

This was recently discussed at our local Atari ST developers meeting
here in the Twin Cities. We are looking at the issues involved in
setting up an international developers group within the next several
months. We discussed (argued actually) the merits of setting up an
electronic newsletter (something that would consist of articles by us
as well as columns of the question/answer variety.) Distribution of
the newsletter would be via UUCP (USENET as well as local ST's running
STadel/UUPC/UUCALL/etc), BBS's, and whatever other networks it makes
sense to get the information out on. I've talked to Dale Schumacher
and he indicated he might be able to clean up his UUCP mail handler to
the point that anyone could run it connecting into their local USENET
host (or maybe even just calling up other ST's running the program if
he gets carried away :-) ).

Rather than send individual mail messages to all the developers that I
know are on the net to get feedback on setting up this 'group', I
decided that the quickest way to get things going would be this plea
to all developers. If you have any thoughts on the structure,
organization, contributions (in terms of articles, sample code, etc),
methods of dissemination of information, or anything else that may be
topical of such a group, please send me mail and I will summarize to
the net.

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP

P.S. David, I got your mail. Thanks for the willingness to support
this...I can imagine people will have LOTS of questions about
multi-tasking and the system in general (even more so after everyone
starts writing about it :-) ).