[comp.sys.atari.st] Windowed languages

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (04/02/88)

In article <100@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <588@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
>> Heck, the only *really*good* languages I've seen for ANY computer all
>> don't use windows...
>
>Ah.  I take it you've never seen a good Smalltalk system.  Or Modula-2
>on a Lilith.  Or even C/C++ on a Sun.

  No, I must admit I haven't. But of all the windowed languages I've seen on
the ST/Mac/Amoeba, I stand by my statement (Besides, I did say "I've seen",
and not "EVERYTHING'...  B-).

>development project, but picture this:  a s/w engineering system,
>using windowed micros for terminals and a VAX/VMS or unix mini/micro
>server to hold the on-line text for the requirements doc, the design
>doc, and the source.
>
>You're editing your source code, and you want to take a look at the
>requirement this section of code is derived from.  You click on a
>little "handle" in the code window, and another window opens showing
>you the requirement that drives this section.  A third window shows
>the design doc section describing this code.  Whaddya think?

  Extremely neat, and also extremely expensive  B-).

  I can see the point of a really well-done windowing language, particularly
when you're working on a "big" (relatively speaking) project...Put your
source code in one window, put your output in another, and compare any bugs
that (inevitably) show up... Of course, a tall window (Wow! 80 lines on a
Sun workscreen!) also helps.

  Now why doesn't anyone do a programmer-friendly language (C? Pascal?)
like this on the ST? There might be a market...  B-)

						--R.J.,
						shooting the breeze
						(And always missing...)
						B-)
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====