[comp.sys.atari.st] A warm and fuzzy ATARI story...

cdj@NADC.ARPA (C. Johnson) (03/29/88)

For those who desparately seek a GOOD report about ATARI:

I, too received the documentation from ATARI (I'm a registered, although
not currently active, ATARI developer).  The package included SALAD, as
someone (I'm sorry, I didn't catch the name...) mentioned, describing
the Line-A calls, and including EXAMPLES.  The previous Line-A docs were
evidently written by someone who had been out smoking bananas (all lower
case, no punctuation...).  SALAD was evidently produced on a laser
printer and looked so professional, it brought a tear to my eye.

Also included were what seemed to be the Figures for my GEM
documentation (!), which were missing from day one.  These, too
were printed on a laser printer.

The Mega specs look very interesting, but unfortunately I don't
even know who my nearest Mega dealer is (my regular ST dealer didn't
make it, sigh.)

Lastly, the new newsletter for developers (I believe it was called
ATARI Forum) was generated on the ATARI laser printer from I believe
it said EasyDraw (I didn't see MS Word mentioned, but I might have
missed it.  I did see EasyDraw mentioned...).  All of this stuff
looked very professional.

This offering by ATARI reveals a glimmer of professional support for
their developers.  That word, 'professional' keeps popping up,
but if you'd witnessed some of the docs in the developer's kit,
you too would notice a large improvement.

I publicly thank those at ATARI who put time and effort into these
documents, and hope that this is an indication of other things
to come.   If the quality shown in these documents could be applied
to all of ATARI's offerings (including hardware, software, docs, and
support) then I believe that good things will happen for the ST and
all of ATARI's products.

*** A slight pause as I get off my soapbox ***

Christopher D. Johnson
Penn State University/
Naval Air Development Center

cdj@nadc.arpa <== Active from now until end of May

cdj@psuecl.bitnet <== Active from June until tuition money runs out ;-)

jansen@atari.UUCP (Mark O. Jansen) (03/31/88)

in article <8803281727.AA16898@NADC.ARPA>, cdj@NADC.ARPA (C. Johnson) says:

> I, too received the documentation from ATARI (I'm a registered, although
> not currently active, ATARI developer).  The package included SALAD, as
> someone (I'm sorry, I didn't catch the name...) mentioned, describing
> the Line-A calls, and including EXAMPLES.  The previous Line-A docs were
> evidently written by someone who had been out smoking bananas (all lower
> case, no punctuation...).  SALAD was evidently produced on a laser
> printer and looked so professional, it brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you for the feedback about SALAD.  As its author, I'm glad to hear it
is making people happy.

To everyone:  We're interested in your comments, POSITIVE or negative, about
our documentation.  Just send mail to me.

--Mark

--
"Question" Mark Jansen              UUCP: ...ames!atari!jansen
 Atari Corporation                  BIX/GEnie: mjansen

rnss@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Ron Schreiner) (04/02/88)

In article <1030@atari.UUCP> jansen@atari.UUCP (Mark O. Jansen) writes:
>in article <8803281727.AA16898@NADC.ARPA>, cdj@NADC.ARPA (C. Johnson) says:

>> I, too received the documentation from ATARI (I'm a registered, although
>> not currently active, ATARI developer).  The package included SALAD, as
>> someone (I'm sorry, I didn't catch the name...) mentioned, describing
>Thank you for the feedback about SALAD.  As its author, I'm glad to hear it
>is making people happy.

>To everyone:  We're interested in your comments, POSITIVE or negative, about
>our documentation.  Just send mail to me.

The SALAD doc came with a few other docs including a new
developers news letter.  Given the bad press Atari has received
on the net for development support, I think it would be in thier
interest to post the artical titled "A NEW LOOK, A NEW ATTITUDE".

How about it, one of you guys at Atari could get permissiion
to post it faster than anyone else.

--
Ron Schreiner   AT&T Bell Labs  ...ihnp4!ihuxy!rnss

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (04/05/88)

In article <2478@ihuxy.ATT.COM> rnss@ihuxy.UUCP (Ron Schreiner) writes:
>The SALAD doc came with a few other docs including a new
>developers news letter.  Given the bad press Atari has received
>on the net for development support, I think it would be in thier
>interest to post the artical titled "A NEW LOOK, A NEW ATTITUDE".

It might be in THEIR best interest.  So why do we want them to post it
to the net?   They've been making promises like these as long as I can
remember.  Does anybody actually still believe they will follow up with
ACTION?

And to you "still-optomistic" people... It's nice to be positive.
Everybody prefers good news to bad.  But would you really invest in
Atari again, if you knew then what you know now?   I sure wouldn't.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "Yuh gotta treat people jes' like yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| do mules. Don't try to drive 'em. Jes'