[comp.sys.atari.st] Auto Ram Disk

ugptucha@sunybcs (Ray Ptucha) (03/26/88)

Does anyone out there know of a program that allows you to boot
up your system with a ram disk installed complete with files in it?

I am currently using Rdy-disk Ram from MWC.  I would like to be able
to turn on the power to my system and when my prompt appears I already
have my ram disk installed with the compiler, editor, etc.

Is there such a program.  It would be a real handy thing to have!

Thanks for your help.

Ray Ptucha, SUNY/Buffalo Computing Center, UCS Student Consultant:
csnet:	ugptucha@buffalo.csnet
uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugptucha
bitnet:	ugptucha@sunybcs.bitnet   <-OR->   acscray@ubvmsc.bitnet

dbc5390@acf5.NYU.EDU (David B. Chorlian) (03/26/88)

I have a ramdisk utility from OSS (Personal Pascal) which has a
provision for creating a script which will automatically
copy files to the ramdisk at bootup. I never use it. Also there are
around 20 PD ramdisks.  It's hard to imagine that none of them have
this feature.  A number of ST magazines maintain libraries of PD
software, and you can get a disk which will contain say 5 ramdisk
programs with various other utilities.
David B. Chorlian  (dbc5390@acf5.nyu.edu)

achowe@watmsg.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack) (03/26/88)

>Does anyone out there know of a program that allows you to boot
>up your system with a ram disk installed complete with files in it?
>
>I am currently using Rdy-disk Ram from MWC.  I would like to be able
>to turn on the power to my system and when my prompt appears I already
>have my ram disk installed with the compiler, editor, etc.
>
>Is there such a program.  It would be a real handy thing to have!

There was a RAM Disk program that had this feature in COMPUTE!'s
Atari ST June '87, Issue 5 Vol2 #3. BUT it DON'T work with Megas.

However Megamatic does and has some nice features. In order to do
the copying into the RAM disk, use BDT csh.tos or startgem the gemcsh
using a login.sh that creates directories, copies, executes a few
programs and logs out. I do this on my WordPerfect disk. Set up
a 1M RAM disk and use csh to copy to WP files to the D:. I then execute
WP with startgem.

--
Anthony C. Howe                         achowe@watmsg.waterloo.edu

"The definition of flying: throwing yourself at the ground and missing."
		- Douglas Adam's  "Life, the Universe and Everything"

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (03/27/88)

[]

If you are using a floppy to boot, you can use my old program AUTODISK
(I posted an upgrade to the semi-dead binaries group many months ago).
It copies THE WHOLE DISK to the RAMdisk.

If you are using a hard disk you want AUTOCOPY, posted a long time ago.
I have an enhanced version somewhere on my disks...
AUTOCOPY copies a list of files as specified in a data file.

Both programs work from the AUTO folder.

- Moshe Braner

jpexg@mit-hermes.ai.mit.edu.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) (03/27/88)

In article <9584@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugptucha@sunybcs (Ray Ptucha) writes:

> Does anyone out there know of a program that allows you to boot
> up your system with a ram disk installed complete with files in it?

My system is set up to do this. It starts with a reset-proof RAMdisk in
the AUTO folder on the disk I always boot with, then Moshe Braner's
AUTODISK (thanks Moshe!), which does a very fast transfer of the entire
contents of the boot disk into the RAMdisk. Obviously "everything" includes
the AUTO folder itself and DESKTOP.INF, so I wrote my own program, ZZZAP,
which kills the useless stuff and itself--I posted ZZZAP here a while ago.
What you put on the boot disk for auto transfer is up to you, but I put my
compiler and whatever I'm working on most intensively there.

Not quite as convenient as a hard disk, but it's kept me going for over a
year.

slb@slbtoy.UUCP (Sanford L. Barr) (03/29/88)

	The Mark Williams 'C' compiler already has a bootable RAM
disk, it's RDY!

	You can create a "bootable" ram disk in the same manner you
would create a normal ram disk.  When RDY asks if you want the disk
to be bootable hit the "yes" patch.  Now, the problem you'll run into
is that you'll probably have to save the ramdisk (using rdy) to a
file on your disk before you can modify it.  If I remember correctly
the machine automatically resets when you ask for a bootable ramdisk and
causes you some trouble.

	Simply re-load the ramdisk (using rdy or change the file suffix
to .PRG and execute it - yes, it's an executable file), make sure you create
an entry for it in your desktop.  Load it up with your favorite utilities
(create sub-dirs,etc) and use RDY to save it.  Put in the disk you're
going to boot your system with and save the ramdisk under
"\AUTO\COLDSTART.PRG".  From now on when you boot from that disk - the
system will load the ramdisk automatically - reset - and then boot from
the ramdisk.

					Best of luck,

					San

--
/////        Sanford L. Barr                 | Voice phone: (516) 246-6349
////        --             --                | Address (USnail):
                                             | Centereach, N.Y. 11720
Alternates: atc@bnl.ARPA, atc@bnl.BITNET     | ATTN: Sanford L. Barr
grumble..grumble..grumble..pthhh..spppppthhdd...bggggrrrrbbbb

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (03/31/88)

In article <9584@sunybcs.UUCP> ugptucha@sunybcs.UUCP (Ray Ptucha) writes:

>Does anyone out there know of a program that allows you to boot
>up your system with a ram disk installed complete with files in it?
>
>I am currently using Rdy-disk Ram from MWC.  I would like to be able
>to turn on the power to my system and when my prompt appears I already
>have my ram disk installed with the compiler, editor, etc.

You've already got it.  I use the Rdy Ram disk, too...  MWC's doc was
a little hazy, as I recall, but what you need to do, only once, is
move all of the files into the ram disk that you want there after
boot, then use the ram disk install utility to save the current ram
disk (the option may be "backup ram disk"; I'm at work and don't have
the doc. here and haven't used that facility in a while).  Replace the
version you had been booting with the newly saved version.  When next
you reboot, all the files that were in the ram disk when you saved it
will be there.

BTW, I have had zero problems with Rdy, once I got it installed.  It's
a great tool.  Just beware of power failures (Ouch!), spend
Big Buck$ on an Uninterruptable Power Supply, buy a hard disk, or make
frequent backups of your source to floppy.  I do the latter.  It's a
good idea anyway unless you write perfect programs the first time :-)
since a wayward program can damage a ram disk.  This has been the
Voice of Experience (VoE) broadcasting on the 10Mhz Ethernet band...

Greg Wageman
Schlumberger Technologies  UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!snjsn1!blfca1!greg
1601 Technology Drive      ARPA: greg@blfca1.com@spar.slb.com
San Jose, CA 95110         BIX:  gwage
(408) 437-5198             CIS:  74016,352

"Nest deeply, and carry a big stack."
------------------
The opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the
author.

fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (04/03/88)

> Question about auto sizing ramdisks

Sounds like a good idea. Only problem I can see would be the memory allocate
bug might get you unless you pick fairly big block to expand. Another problem
would be that memory would quickly be choped up into a lot of little blocks
due to the ST's lack of memory compaction.

Fred...

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!fred
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fred@nosc.mil
INET: fred@pnet01.cts.com

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/05/88)

Since I haven't seen all copies of Info-Atari16 that have come out since #130,
I offer the following solution which might not be as fast as others - but it's
flexible.

I use the ETRNL2 ram disk together with GEMBOOT (version 1.11).  ETRNL2 is
reconfigurable and quasi-eternal.  GEMBOOT provides the possibilty to execute
a batch file as the last step of the \AUTO\ folder sequence.  By default it
looks for *.BAT files in \BOOTBAT\.  Batch files are executed by default by
COMMAND.PRG.  One can select amongst the batch files.

I use this facility to initialize my ramdisk (if necessary, can be aborted) and
execute certain programs by default (such as to put my monitor in 50-line mode).

I find it very useful -- but it might be less useful for those that don't have
a hard disk.

Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\