[comp.sys.atari.st] People in glass houses...

news@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu (Six o'clock News) (04/06/88)

From: seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz)

	Yes, I would still invest in Atari.  I've worked with numerous other
personal computers, and for my uses ( terminal, word processing, minor
programming, etc. ) Atari does the job as well as or better than Apple, IBM,
Amiga, etc., for less money.  Yes, Atari is sometimes a little slow, but
I've heard as many complaints about the slowness of all the other PC
manufacturers.

(* Minor Flame On *)

	On the other hand, the one product associated with my ST that has
been a major dissapointment is a program called AnsiTerm, which is distributed
by Beckemeyer Development Tools which liscensed the program from someone else.
The documentation that came with the program was incorrect in many minor
respects, and the Kermit and Xmodem transfer protocols were unreliable.
Thank God ( and Simon Poole ) for Uniterm, which does for free twice as much
as this $24.95 program.  BDT never has contacted me with any bug fixes or
upgrades in the 12 months since I purchased the program.  I was unable to get
any assistance from their BBS, partially because it repeatedly generated
random garbage which made it unreadable and unusable.  Fortunately, their
support staff is helpful when you call them direct.

	So, Mr. Beckemeyer, next time you feel the urge to criticize Atari,
please take a few minutes to look through your files of registration cards
from AnsiTerm purchasers.  Then, rather than throwing stones, ask what you
can do to help those customers who trusted and supported you to get the most
from their ST.

(* Flame Off *)

					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@cory.berkeley.edu