[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari no-support?/In defense of Atari

Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com (03/20/88)

Remember that Atari didn't write GEM for the 68000, DRI did.  If you program
professionally you will realize the difficulty of simply picking up someone
elses code and trying to "fix all the little bugs".  If it is/was as simple
as you make out, why don't you write a patch that goes in the auto folder
and fixes all these bugs?
     I think Atari was delayed by DRI and figuring out who owned what and
who could modify what, etc.  They have been working on the various portions
of GEM for a while, but it required a rewrite (I disassembled GEMDOS, so I
know why it is taking time) to fix everything - and they want that to become
solid before they release it.
     One problem is that TOS isn't very bad.  If there bugs were severe (and
everyone has a version of the 40 folder patch or should), then they would
have to move.  Right now you have only minor annoyances.  From what I have hear
about the Mac and Amiga, some of their releases were much worse - so they
HAD to fix them.  The 11/85 ROMs are quite usable.
(before I get flamed - the Amiga is currently MORE stable than TOS, but they
have had major revisions.  The Mac is stable until they increment the system
or finder version and several things won't run until they refix it - How
many system/finder combinations will work with EVERY program?).
     It looks as if the next release of TOS will fix all the little complaints
you have and be very stable for a while.  I do wish they would add RTX right
in though.
     Atari isn't perfect - and perhaps TOS rewrite has been put off a little
too long, but that is not the major problem I have with Atari.

juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) (03/22/88)

In article <3967@cup.portal.com> Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com writes:

>Remember that Atari didn't write GEM for the 68000, DRI did.  If you program
>professionally you will realize the difficulty of simply picking up someone
>elses code and trying to "fix all the little bugs".  If it is/was as simple
>as you make out, why don't you write a patch that goes in the auto folder
>and fixes all these bugs?
	No Source code.  Gone are the days that systems are written and
debugged in Machine Language.  (At least I thought that they were)
| Typical conversation on comp.[atari|amiga|mac].*		    |
My watch is better than yours.  It has multitasking, windows and
plays Old macdonald has a farm.  I will not listen to reason, of
course your watch is not as good as mine, in fact you are
silly for having bought it.  Sell it and buy my kind.
   o /
====X================================================================
   o \
John W. Buchanan                  Dynamic Graphics Project
               			  Computer Systems Research Institute
(416) 978-6619			  University of Toronto
juancho@dgp.toronto.edu
juancho@toronto.CSNET
{allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utdgp!juancho

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (04/06/88)

In article <8803221315.AA07536@caboto.dgp.toronto.edu> juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) writes:
>	No Source code.  Gone are the days that systems are written and
>debugged in Machine Language.  (At least I thought that they were)

I thought that microsoft wrote OS/2 in assembler...  No wonder is needs
two megs! :-)

--
Greg Franks                   XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!greg  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 8R8. (613) 725-5411.