[comp.sys.atari.st] A little help for a little boy

csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) (03/30/88)

I came across this where I work and thought it was worth passing on.
I hope my fellow Atarians will forgive me for posting something totally
unrelated, but I know how connected you guys are and I think there might
be some sympathetic ears out there!

A little effort can go a long way!

"...and they told two friends, and they told two friends..."
-chip

>From: tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org (Paul Tsuchiya)
To: tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa
Subject: world record

 Read this on internal MITRE mail, thought I might pass it on........

   David is a 7 year old boy who is dying from cancer.
   Before he does, he has a dream of one day being in the Guiness Book of
   Records for the person who has had the most postcards sent to him.
   If you would like to help David achieve his dream, all you have to do is send
   a postcard to him as soon as possible.
   Send to :
              David
              c/o Miss McWilliams
              St. Martin de Porres Infant School
              Luton,
              Bedfordshire
              England       **DON'T FORGET TO SIGN YOUR NAME**

Paul F. Tsuchiya		The MITRE Corp.
tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org	7525 Colshire Dr.
703-883-7352			McLean, VA 22102 USA

In article <8803301334.AA03567@work1.icase> (Charles S. Roberson) writes:
>I came across this where I work and thought it was worth passing on.
>I hope my fellow Atarians will forgive me for posting something totally
>unrelated, but I know how connected you guys are and I think there might
>be some sympathetic ears out there!

[Stuff about some kid dying of cancer in England omitted for brevity]

  I have personally seen this message (with only the names changed)
  *SIX* times over the last 4 years. EVERYTIME it turned out to be a fraud.

  I have heard of several similar requests, two of them on the 'Call for
  Action' hotline in the Bay Area. Those *ALL* turned out to be frauds.

  So before you whip out a postcard to Billy or whomever, *CHECK THE FACTS*
  and certainly don't get generous and send him a couple of bucks to help
  with the medical expenses.

  Sorry to appear to be so crass, but those are my experiences with this
  sort of thing.

--Chuck McManis

mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) (04/01/88)

In article <8803301334.AA03567@work1.icase> csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) writes:
:I came across this where I work and thought it was worth passing on.
:"...and they told two friends, and they told two friends..."
:-chip
:
:> Read this on internal MITRE mail, thought I might pass it on........
:>
:>_________________________________________________________________
:>Paul F. Tsuchiya		The MITRE Corp.
:>tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org	7525 Colshire Dr.
:>703-883-7352			McLean, VA 22102 USA
:>_________________________________________________________________

I have seen this request before. It is not authentic. It is a hoax that
got out into the news media, that somehow cannot be purged from all the
mass media archives at once. It has actually been around for several years.

No flame of the original author intended. It would be a nice thing to do
if it were a real request.

I learned about this last year when I saw a very similar posting in the
laboratory where I work.

--Patrick Simon    mpsimon@phoenix.princeton.edu    3/31/88

bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) (04/02/88)

Postings in other newsgroups mentioning this same worthy project have
indicated that the goal was reached. Those postings all indicate that
postcards are no longer needed and that a plea has been issued to STOP!

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (04/02/88)

In article <8803301334.AA03567@work1.icase>, csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) writes:
> I came across this where I work and thought it was worth passing on.
> I hope my fellow Atarians will forgive me for posting something totally
>>   David is a 7 year old boy who is dying from cancer.
>>   a postcard to him as soon as possible.

Saw this _last_ year.  Must be an echo.  The net is big enough :-).

Ross Alexander, Sr. Systems Programmer
Athabasca University, Athabasca, Alberta
alberta!auvax!rwa

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (04/05/88)

In article <8803301334.AA03567@work1.icase> csrobe@ICASE.ARPA (Charles S. Roberson) writes:
>I came across this where I work and thought it was worth passing on.
>I hope my fellow Atarians will forgive me for posting something totally
>unrelated, but I know how connected you guys are and I think there might
>be some sympathetic ears out there!
>
> Read this on internal MITRE mail, thought I might pass it on........
>
>   David is a 7 year old boy who is dying from cancer.
>   Before he does, he has a dream of one day being in the Guiness Book of
>   Records for the person who has had the most postcards sent to him.
>   If you would like to help David achieve his dream, all you have to do is send
>   a postcard to him as soon as possible.
>   Send to :
          [address deleted]

Don't waste you're stamps please. This is a hoax, plain and simple. This
story has been passed around for years, and exposed in a local
newspaper last year. The origins of the story are shrouded in the
dim past, but it was picked up by a British amatuer radio operator, (a
"ham") who apparently overheard some guys talking about this little
boy. He took it upon himself to publicize it in the ham community, as
hams traditionally send postcards ("QSL" cards) to other hams they
make contact with (the QSLs are used to prove a contact for radio contests).
Well, needless to say, the story was passed around the world quickly, and
joined the ranks of such other urban legends as the vanishing hitch-hiker,
the exploding poodle in the microwave etc. The hospital knows nothing about
a little boy named David.

Both the hospital, and the local post office are swamped with
literally millions of postcards a year from kids, presidents (The Reagans
sent him a note a couple of years ago), actors, and now USENETers. The
article didn't say what they did with them, but I should hope that they
would have the presence of mind to pass them on to real kids with real
cancer.

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"After all, isn't our only real purpose in life merely to make the person

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (04/08/88)

(With apologies to Susan Scheide, who thinks this topic has run on long
enough, and that as the people involved created this monster, they
deserve whatever they've brought upon themselves.)

According to "That's Life" (a UK 'consumer protection and human
interest' sort of TV show) on Sunday night, March 13th, and the Bristol
Evening Post of March 14th:

The postcard story was (basically) true -- except that the boy's name
is Mario; David is is father's name.  Mario has responded well to
treatment.

He achieved his goal in December, with something like 150000 cards, and
will be in the next Guiness.  His father says that it went well thru
December, and then things seemed to be quieting down, but just recently
there's been a new avalanche of cards from all over the world.  Also,
in the last week, the story has been repeated on at least two US
television stations and in a Hong Kong newspaper, so they fear it will
get worse.  (Not to mention USENET.)

Mario, his parents, Miss McWilliams, and the St Martin de Porres Infant
School express deep appreciation to everyone who has responded, but ask
'could you please stop now?' They are being buried in postcards, and
the school is getting nothing done, between the influx of cards, and
the continual phone calls asking if it is real.

Miss McWilliams is real.  The St Martin de Porres Infant School is
real.  The Post Office is really burying them alive under piles of mail
(something like 3-5 bags per day, at last count).  THEY DONT WANT ANY
MORE POSTCARDS.  IT IS INTERFERING TERRIBLY WITH THEIR WORK WITH THE
CHILDREN.

(Sorry to shout. :-)  But really, please don't do it.

So, thanks, everyone.  But no more please.

Cheers, Paul