[comp.sys.atari.st] modula2 compiler info

chevalet@imag.UUCP (chevallet) (04/01/88)

Hello you out there...

      I'm a French fan of MODULA-2 and i'm looking for good (or the best..)
M2 compiler for a PC and ST.

Well, i know some compilers on the ST (from TDI,Jefferson Software,FTL)
but i have no information about them. On PC i saw some advertisement
about Logitech, Modula-2PC.

      I would like to have precise informations about
- Source of the libraries modules.
- Some about 64K memory limitation for code and data on PC.
- Tools (debugger, make, symbol file decompiler, and so on...).
- Programming environnement.
- Link with other langages.
- Compatibility with other modula.
- ...

      All informations will be welcome.
      So, can someone out there give me these informations about compilers,
      And how to buy them (in france or elsewhere).
      Please, give me complete address or mailbox where i could write.

(When you're asking for Modula-2 to French software salesman you seem to
be a martian ! Sorry for my broken English...)

	       Jean-Pierre.

CHEVALLET Jean-Pierre			chevalet@imag.imag.fr
LGI Bureau 305				chevalet@imag.UUCP
 					{uunet.uu.net|mcvax}!imag!chevalet
-------------- Si (Etat_programme = tourne) alors (Programme := Correct)

fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (04/03/88)

> Wanted info about Modula-2 for ST.

I have both TDI and jefferson modula-2. They both have weakness. My main
problem with the TDI product is the cost of the library sources. But I have
used TDI for about 1.5 years and can say it's a solid product for systems
software and general use. It has a source debugger and a RSC for GEM.

Jefferson software's product includes all sources for librarys and comes
with a fairly robust compiler. It's a single pass job and works very quickly
but doesn't really have the ability to handle system programming completely
in modula-2. The big plus for JS modula is that you can link other languages
into it. The TDI linker is just TDI "as far as I know".

If a had the money about $140 I would buy the TDI developer set but if on a
budget the JS modula is really a good buy.

Fred Brooks

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!fred
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fred@nosc.mil
INET: fred@pnet01.cts.com

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/08/88)

In article <2764@imag.UUCP>, chevalet@imag.UUCP (chevallet) writes:
>       I'm a French fan of MODULA-2 and i'm looking for good (or the best..)
> M2 compiler for a PC and ST.

I can tell you some things about the TDI compiler for the ST.  I
haven't used any others; I hope you get some good information from
other net.people.

>       I would like to have precise informations about
> - Source of the libraries modules.
TDI's library sources are available, you have to register as a
"developer."  I think it costs about $100 (US) extra for the sources.

> - Some about 64K memory limitation for code and data on PC.
N/A on the ST.

> - Tools (debugger, make, symbol file decompiler, and so on...).
TDI includes a debugger that I haven't used - it's not a source
debugger, and definitely NOT suitable for debugging GEM programs, and
I haven't written any REALLY large programs (largest about 900 lines)
with the compiler.  It also includes a cross reference tool (I think,
some of this is part of the "developer's" kit), and a GEM Resource
editor from MegaMax, customized to output M2-style include files.  It
doesn't have a "make", but it doesn't NEED one - see "environment"
below.

> - Programming environnement.
TDI ships a "development shell" with the compiler that is really
great.  The M2 modules in the current directory are displayed as icons
- a puzzle-piece in mono, a green square in color.  If you change an
"upstream" module - source code, for instance, all the modules
downstream change to dithered (mono) or a red square (color).  You can
"make" each module by clicking on it.  "Make"ing source modules loads
the editor and loads the source file into it.  It has some
limitations, but it is a very slick interface.

> - Link with other langages.
I don't know of any.

> - Compatibility with other modula.
You can also buy TDI M2 for the Mac and the Amiga, I think.  I read
this somewhere, perhaps in the TDI docs, but have not seen either
product, so I can't vouch for their quality.

>       All informations will be welcome.
>       So, can someone out there give me these informations about compilers,
>       And how to buy them (in france or elsewhere).
>       Please, give me complete address or mailbox where i could write.

TDI Software
10410 Markinson Road,
Dallas, TX 75238
USA
+1 214 340 4942

TDI is actually an English company, but I do not have their address in
England any more.

> [...]  Sorry for my broken English...)
>
> 	       Jean-Pierre.

With *my* knowledge of Francais, you needn't apologize for your
"broken english."   :-)
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (04/09/88)

In article <2764@crash.cts.com> fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) writes:
>> Wanted info about Modula-2 for ST.
>
>I have both TDI and jefferson modula-2. They both have weakness. My main
>problem with the TDI product is the cost of the library sources. But I have
>used TDI for about 1.5 years and can say it's a solid product for systems
>software and general use. It has a source debugger and a RSC for GEM.

There is another one, shipping *real soon now*; it is a port of an older
modula-2 compiler developed in Germany.
It is a nice system (I tried out the original Gepard version) not
needing a linker. Programs get linked to the library at load time. The
drawback ist the 350KByte system library that must be resident in memory
all the time....

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 (auf der Karte: links)
hase@netmbx.UUCP