[comp.sys.atari.st] CZ 101

leo@tiger.Princeton.EDU (Hsiung Young) (04/01/88)

I guess my previous post didn't go out successfully. So I re-post it again.

I am in the market for an MIDI compatible electrnic keyboard. The most
coomon one that I found in the magazine is Casio CZ 101. But as I shopped
around in the nearby mall last weekend. I found some less expensive MIDI
compatible keyboard also made by Casio. So my questions are:

1. Why is the CZ 101 more popular than the other model? And what is the
reasonable price nowadays?
2. Any other suggestion for a cheap keyboard? I am just a beginner in
playing the instrument.

Thanks in advance.
leo%tiger@Princeton.EDU

UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (04/06/88)

 >Date: 1 Apr 88 01:19:56 GMT
>from: mind!tiger!leo@princeton.edu  (Hsiung Young)
>Subject: CZ 101

>I am in the market for an MIDI compatible electrnic keyboard. The most
>2. Any other suggestion for a cheap keyboard? I am just a beginner in
>playing the instrument.

I don't know too much about the models on the low end, but what you should
look for is at least something with what is known as velocity sensitivity.
That allows keys which are pressed harder to sound louder.  If it does not
have velocity sense, all the notes will sound the same.   If you are at all
serious about playing a keyboard, you will should have this.  It is important
for developing your keyboard technique.

Again, I don't know too much about the casios, but I know there are cheap
Yamahas which use the FM method of synthesis, in which you can adjust the
parameters of the sound and synthesize your own sound, as opposed to just
selection a preset.

Sorry I don't have anything more specific as to models, but I hope this
helps,  Jeff Beer UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later"  - Miles Davis

boblind@percival.UUCP (Bob Lindstrom) (04/10/88)

>>from: mind!tiger!leo@princeton.edu  (Hsiung Young)
>>Subject: CZ 101
>
>>I am in the market for an MIDI compatible electrnic keyboard. The most
>>2. Any other suggestion for a cheap keyboard? I am just a beginner in
>>playing the instrument.

In the several responses to this message, no one seems to be aware that
Casio has discontinued the CZ-101. They are now pushing the HT-700, a
mini-key synthesizer with slightly easier programming and some drum box-
like features. In some ways, this is a less flexible machine than the
CZ-101 but it is also more of an all-in-one instrument for the entry-level
user.

--
| Troutdale Shrine of Computing       **   Bob Lindstrom, perpetrator      |
|     "What doesn't kill me"          **   UUCP:percival!boblind           |