[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Turbo C

leigh@byuvax.bitnet (03/31/88)

Note:  This note was originally posted inside of DEC and is posted here
without permission.

Note 401.0                    TURBO-C for ATARI ST                    No replies
MUNICH::BOEHM "Irren ist mdnnlich"                   51 lines  29-MAR-1988 16:46

     On the  Hannover-Fair CeBit, Borland/Heimsoeth presented TURBO-C for
     the Atari ST!

     Heimsoeth is  the  german general (and exclusive) distributor of all
     BORLAND Products (they  supplied  the  german  language manuals, and
     provide the technical hotline for Turbo-languages).

     With help from a not-named german software-company  and  Borland/USA
     itself,  Heimsoeth  programmers  developed  TURBO-C for the ATARI-ST
     which ist based on the IBM-PC Turbo-C Version 1.5.

     The  presented  Beta-release (the final Version will be available in
     May) suprised with compile- and link-times, that I only have seen on
     a 10 MHZ IBM PC/AT !  It was faster then any other C-Compiler on the
     Atari - even two times faster then Magamax-C!

     This is a list of the most important features:
     - full K&R implementation including ANSI-definition
     - compiles 8000 lines/minute - one pass
     - 1470 dhrystones/s
     - manual in german language (well, it's an german product)
     - enhanced LINT and MAKE integrated
     - produces DR-compatible linkable object-files
     - TOS-library for TOS-, BIOS- and XBIOS-calls
     - GEM-library for AES- and VDI-functions

     Heimsoeth states that the compiler compiles most PC Turbo-C  sources
     with  no  or   minor  modification  (well  of  cource  there  is  no
     MSDOS-library in Atari Turbo-C).   The programming-environment looks
     nearly the same as on  the IBM PC, with some enhancements due to the
     GEM  environment  (i.e.    multible  source-windows  etc..).    Most
     functions  (Compile,  Make,  etc)  are  available  with    a  single
     keystroke.    Even  the  Online-Help-Function  of  Turbo  C  1.5  is
     available  on  the  Atari  Version.

     A commandline-version  of the compiler ist included in  the  package
     and for addidional charge they include an assembler  and  a symbolic
     debbuger  (You  can  include 68000 menmonics into the source).    In
     contrast to the PC-Version, there are no memory-models in the  Atari
     Version;  code  and  data  of your propgram is only limited by  your
     memory.  Turbo-C  Atari  and  its  ANSI-runtime  library  are  fully
     written in 68000 assembler.

     Ears up:
     Borland states that the Atari ST  Version  of  Turbo  C  will not be
     distributed outside West-Germany!  (In Germany the  ST outsolds both
     Amiga and MacIntosh together)

     Hilmar@MUH.

Any comments?

weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) (04/02/88)

In article <168leigh@byuvax.bitnet> leigh@byuvax.bitnet writes:
>Note:  This note was originally posted inside of DEC and is posted here
>without permission.
>
>Note 401.0                  TURBO-C for ATARI ST                    No replies
>MUNICH::BOEHM "Irren ist mdnnlich"                 51 lines  29-MAR-1988 16:46
							      ^^^^^^^^^^^
>Any comments?

	Hmm... sounds a bit too good to be true, eh?  And they date, just a
bit too close to April 1, eh?

	'Course as I send it from OSU here it IS April 1, so maybe I am
just a bit too paranoid.

Cheers,
andy...

--
Andrew Weaver 				          weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
OSU College of Business				  soon:    weaver@osu-pisa.UUCP

    Remember:  Oprah spelled backwards is Harpo.  HONK!  HONK!  HONK!

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (04/07/88)

In article <9495@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) writes:

>	Hmm... sounds a bit too good to be true, eh?  And they date, just a
>bit too close to April 1, eh?

  Well, the Hannover Faire just happens to be close to April 1 (maybe there's
some hidden symbolism behind that). Anyhow, I was there, and I saw the
program. It exists. I cannot tell you whether the claims are justified,
only saw it compiling a program awfully fast. But then it was a demo. What
happens if you forget a semicolon? Is the generated code reliable? I don't
know. Who'll risk the money first? :-)

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
BIX:  fheinz				| Beusselstr. 21

gsender@rmi.UUCP (Gerd Sender) (04/10/88)

 I have seen it. It looks really interesting.
The price will be DM 270,-, that is another argument for
'TURBO-C'

I was told, if TURBO-C sells well in West Germany,
they want also distribute it within the USA....

Gerd