[comp.sys.atari.st] Enough already!

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) (04/08/88)

Come on guys!  This isn't any great mystery. :-)

The first day I had my ST I read (in the documentation) that the order
that programs are run is their order in the \AUTO folder.

It makes sense if you put yourself in the place of the guy writing the
TOS code.  The most straight-forward way to do this is call Fsfirst()
and Fsnext() on "\AUTO\*.PRG", which will give you the files in the
order they were placed in the directory.

Any other order would require loading and sorting the directory first.

--
Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	hplabs!felix!preston

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (04/11/88)

In article <28139@felix.UUCP>, preston@felix (Preston Bannister) writes:

> The first day I had my ST I read (in the documentation) that the order
> that programs are run is their order in the \AUTO folder.
>
> It makes sense if you put yourself in the place of the guy writing the
> TOS code.

Actually, it makes more sense not to rely on the order of the files in any
directory at all (especially if you don't supply a 'Sort by order' option), but
rather to designate a special file which contains a list of the programs to be
run in the order in which you want them run.  Advantages:

1. Easy to specify program args too.
2. Easy for the user to edit and change (compare with copying files in and out
   of the AUTO folder).  Harder to make a mistake.
3. Easy to upgrade to a real shell script, if and when...

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs