[net.music] well, excuuuse me!

gumby@mit-eddie.UUCP (David Vinayak Wallace) (01/27/84)

    Date: Tue, 24-Jan-84 14:55:44 EST
    From: rlr@pyuxn.UUCP

    I, for one, believe that creative artists have a responsibility to
    expand the boundaries of their craft rather than pandering to tastes and
    to the money that that brings.

That's right!  Better to starve and be unknown, then to aquire the taint
of *gasp* financial success.  As a matter of fact, we should be taking
the money AWAY from artists like Eno or Rampal, lest their music be
corrupted by the evil money.

*** BULLSHIT ***

Why do they have this responsibility?  And to whom?  I guess
Michelangelo shouldn't have painted the Sistine Chapel -- after all,
religious paintings had already been painted by others!

Pissed off,

david

PS:  -- ad-homonim attack follows --

I thought we had agreed that this sort of pseudo-intellectual
putting-down of other people's tastes was stupid.  I just have one
question:  Where do you fit?  Either you're an uncreative dolt, or
you're violating your own rule.  Why aren't you busy advancing the
borders of computer science?

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (01/30/84)

A reply in kind for David Wallace:

I'm truly sorry that you were deeply offended by my "pseudo-intellectual"
defense of creative artists (as opposed to "hack"s who make their living by
stepping on and (virtually) plagiarizing the artistic innovations of others).
If you prefer the banal to the original, that's your business.  But don't
blame me when there isn't any original artistry left.  I'm sure you'll be
happy with the result, though.  There is a difference, mind you, between those
who are successful because they pander to popular taste and those who are
successful despite the fact that they don't.  There's also a big difference
between putting down people's tastes and proffering opinions about what one
considers to be garbage.  I'm not pointing a gun at you telling you not to
listen to Eno or Rampal or Rick Springfield.  But apparently my freedom of
speech ends where I agree with your taste, and any other contrary opinions
that I may present are a harbinger of fascism.

As to where I fit in, I'm a musician myself, but I don't make a living at it.
I enjoy listening to (and creating) music that I consider fresh, original,
new, innovative, and interesting.  The work I do for a living (computer
science oriented things) is not what I would consider art (though some
might).  I'm not keeping creative systems designers and software developers
and pure scientists from working---someone has to do the work I do.  But
the promotion by a controlled "entertainment industry" (visions of assembly
lines producing comedians and rock stars are not as far fetched as you think)
of pap and schlock to the exclusion of creative talent DOES prevent real
artists from producing and thriving.  If people weren't told what to want
by this "industry", they could judge artists on merit rather than amount
of publicity.  Unfortunately, Americans seem to want to be told what to
want.  But they're quick to jump up and scream when their freedoms are
truly infringed, as in the case of mandatory seatbelt regulations... :-)

Replying in kind...
--
Pardon me for breathing...
	Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr