[comp.sys.atari.st] rsrc_load and drop-down menus

0ALEVI@POMONA.BITNET (04/05/88)

Date: 4 April 1988, 10:37:47 PST
From: 0ALEVI at POMONA
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

Subject: rsrc_load and drop-down menus

Hello again folks.
I have some questions about setting up windows using the AES.
     1) Is it possible to get the Resource Construction Set  by Digital
          Research without buying the Development kit?

     2) I tried doing an dummy=rsrc_load(filn);
            where filn points to the string "logo.rsc" terminated by 2
            zero bytes.  (I should only need one I think, but I put 2
            just to make sure) Dummy ends up being 0 after the call,
            indicating (according to the ABACUS GEM programming
            reference guide) that an error occured.
            I guessed that there is some problem in opening the
            file because the error occured during the first and only
            buzz of the disk drive.(I believe the first buzz is always
            a directory check for opening files)  I checked to make
            sure that I had in fact placed the logo.rsc file on the
            disk that I had in drive A and I checked to make sure that
            I spelled it right.  I don't know what to do now.  HELP!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Sincerely,
Alan M. Levi

sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) (04/07/88)

Actually you can't get the resource construction set by buying the developers
kits.  The developers kit I received last month consisted of:

        a)  Lots of documents but no schematics.
        b)  MWC ver 2.1.7
        c)  A nondisclosure agreement
        d)  Nothing else.

        e)  NONE of the DRI software.

I think that Kuma? sells a resource editor.

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!sreeb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!sreeb@nosc.mil
INET: sreeb@pnet01.cts.com

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (04/07/88)

-------------

In article <8804041901.AA28913@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 0ALEVI@POMONA.BITNET writes:
	[ question about getting rcs w/o dev kit (???) (i have dev kit... ]
->
[...]

i believe rsrc_load() does some Malloc'ing of its own. if you never do an
Mshrink to free up the space at startup, this might be your problem (alan
pratt's NEW gemstart.s does this and the "old" gemstart did it as well, as
i recall. you are obviously not using the dev kit so your compiler may differ)

0 DOES indicate an error (as it does in rsrc_gaddr), at least according to
"official" atari/(ibm)dri docs :^). also if you did a Dsetpath before the
load, this might cause the file to not be found.

other than that, you might make sure "filn" really contains what you think
it should prior to load. don't be insulted, i've done far stupider things
myself before :^).

-bill

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (04/08/88)

In article <8804041901.AA28913@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 0ALEVI@POMONA.BITNET writes:
>     1) Is it possible to get the Resource Construction Set  by Digital
>          Research without buying the Development kit?

Yes, it is - at least here in Germany. Send a cheque over 22.50
DM (about 13.50 US$) to

	  Merlin Computer GmbH
	  ST-Computer Redaktion
	  PD-Service
	  Postfach 5969
	D-6236 Eschborn
	  West Germany

and tell them you want the RCS-disk. The price of 22.50 DM
includes 7.50 DM for postage in Germany, I don't know if they
will do it for oversea receipients. Just try.

#include <disclaimer.h>
+---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
|   Rainer Klute            | UUCP:   klute@unido.uucp                 |
|   University of Dortmund  |            (...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute)  |
|   Dept. of CS             | BITNET: klute@unido.bitnet               |
|   P.O. Box 500500         |                                          |
| D-4600 Dortmund 50        |                                          |
+---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
|                     Federal Republic of Germany                      |

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/10/88)

In article <2779@crash.cts.com>, sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) writes:
> Actually you can't get the resource construction set by buying the developers
> kits.  The developers kit I received last month consisted of:
>
>         a)  Lots of documents but no schematics.
>         b)  MWC ver 2.1.7
>         c)  A nondisclosure agreement
>         d)  Nothing else.
>         e)  NONE of the DRI software.
>
> I think that Kuma? sells a resource editor.

Guess what I got from the Federal Express girl today?  MWC compiler
version Beta 2.9, MWC Resource program, compiler, and decompiler
version 1.01, and CSD version 0.9.something.

I was a beta tester for MWC for 2.0 and 2.1, this might have had
something to do with my receiving the beta versions.  I was, of
course, hip deep in another project when I picked up the envelope, and
had to wait almost 6 hours before tearing into the software.

Immediately upon arriving home, my brother (known to the net as
sp7040!jsp or wsccs!john) and I installed the software on the ol'
SH204.  We ran through one of the CSD tutorials - nifty keano.

Then we went off and played with the Resource program (GEM version)
for a little while - I really like the user interface.  They have
floppy disks for the floppy drive icons, a stack of blocks for each
of the hard disk partitions (labelled `block device'), and a paper-
shredder icon for getting rid of things.  Perhaps this is to keep Apple
from suing MWC?  It doesn't look the least bit like a Mac, and it is more
appropriate; recovering things from a shredder is difficult beyond
belief.

We worked with the compiler a bit too.  It does *seem* to compile
notable faster, we haven't run any benchmarks yet.  We'll try to do a
drystone tomorrow and post the results.

Then we went and made a large program John has been working on
debuggin, and started through it with CSD.  I have used Microsoft's
Codeview a fair amount, in C, MASM, and Fortran, and have used the
VAX/VMS debugger in C, Modula-2, and Fortran, and Unix Sys V `sdb' in
C and f77.  CSD blows them all away with one little feature: CSD has
what MWC calls an EVALUATION WINDOW.  You can type the name of a
variable (and even type-cast it), or *any valid C expression*, and it
will be re-evaluated *each time a breakpoint is reached*.  Think about
this - if you want to trace a variable in a loop, all you do is break
point at the beginning (or end) of the loop, and put a printf
statement to print the variable in the evaluation window.

    | I LOVE THIS DEBUGGER!  I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED THIS DEBUGGER! |
    |     CSD IS THE BEST PROGRAMMING TOOL OF THE DECADE!        |

OK, OK, I'm calmed down again.  Anyhow, the new version of MWC
includes an RCS that is better than any I've seen yet, and a debugger
that will make it so you don't DREAD debugging anymore.  Don't bother
with Kuma until you've sent in your update card and gotten MWC 3.0!

Disclaimer:  As I stated earlier, I was a beta tester for MWC 2.0 and
2.1.  I recieved free compiler updates for beta testing.  I am not nad
have never been an employee of Mark Williams Co. (although if asked to
be one, I'd probably have to think it over for 4 or 5 nanoseconds
before agreeing :-).  I just think they do a really good job of
producing compilers for the ST.
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) (04/11/88)

<
<         a)  Lots of documents but no schematics.
<         b)  MWC ver 2.1.7
<         c)  A nondisclosure agreement
<         d)  Nothing else.
<
<         e)  NONE of the DRI software.
<
< I think that Kuma? sells a resource editor.

If you registered your compiler with MWC, you should have recieved and
upgrade notice to version 3.0.  Included with the update will be a resource
editor and a C source debugger (yeah!).  I receiver three copies of that notice,I guess they wanted to make sure I got it!  Wonder is they'll send three
copies of the upgrade package...
--
Ron DeBlock	KA2IKT		213 River Dr.
...!rutgers!galaxy!argus	Lk Hiawatha, NJ 07034

sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) (04/13/88)

ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) writes:
>In article <2779@crash.cts.com>, sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) writes:
>< Actually you can't get the resource construction set by buying the developers
>< kits.  The developers kit I received last month consisted of:
><
><         a)  Lots of documents but no schematics.
><         b)  MWC ver 2.1.7
><         c)  A nondisclosure agreement
><         d)  Nothing else.
><
><         e)  NONE of the DRI software.
><
>< I think that Kuma? sells a resource editor.
>

>If you registered your compiler with MWC, you should have recieved and
>upgrade notice to version 3.0.  Included with the update will be a resource
>editor and a C source debugger (yeah!).  I receiver three copies of that notice,I guess they wanted to make sure I got it!  Wonder is they'll send three
>copies of the upgrade package...
A recent conversation with atari told be I got a short shipment.  The
schematics and all of the original developers kit software is still part of
the kit.  The main message I got was:  DO NOT BUY A DEVELOPERS KIT FROM YOUR
DEALER.