[comp.sys.atari.st] Downloading of PD Programs

RUBIN@GRAF.POLY.EDU (David Rubin) (04/08/88)

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I have only been following
the digest for a short while...

I would like to acquire some of the public domain software available
on the Internet at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU.  I have access to an IBM PC
where I can FTP the files from.  My question is, how are the
files stored (I assume they are compressed), what programs do I need
to decompress them, and where can I get these programs?

Also, if I simply copy the programs directly from the IBM PC to a 3.5"
disk, will the ATARI be able to read them?

I would appreciate it if someone can explain the procedure for getting
these programs to my Atari.  I am mainly interested in getting the
Uniterm communications program.

Please respond via e-mail, since I don't always have a chance to read this
digest.  Thanks in advance...

--
Dave Rubin
RUBIN@graf.poly.edu  -or-

RUBIN@GRAF.POLY.EDU (David Rubin) (04/08/88)

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I have only been following
the digest for a short while...

I would like to acquire some of the public domain software available
on the Internet at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU 12 I have access to an IBM PC
where I can FTP the files from 12 My question is, how are the
files stored (I assume they are compressed), what programs do I need
to decompress them, and where can I get these programs?

Also, if I simply copy the programs directly from the IBM PC to a 3.5"
disk, will the ATARI be able to read them?

I would aGIC these programs to my Atari 12 I am mainly interested in getting the

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/11/88)

In article <8804071813.AA05507@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Dave Rubin writes:

>         ... .  My question is, how are the
>files stored (I assume they are compressed), what programs do I need
>to decompress them, and where can I get these programs?

Start with UUDECODE.BAS  .    Use it *once* (smile) to uudecode
an encoded version of a "real" uuencode.  Look for the Dumas version
called UUD and UUE, maybe stored as UUX or UUX.ARC or UUX.UUE .

Get yourself a copy of ARC, and uudecode that.

Then you are set for everything, almost.
Most of the stuff you can get has be ARCed and then UUencoded.
You need to UUdecode and then unARC (ARC x *.arc) the file.

You might find one or two text files that have been combined using "SHAR",
but they is not too common.

>Also, if I simply copy the programs directly from the IBM PC to a 3.5"
>disk, will the ATARI be able to read them?

Yes.  You will be able to go the other way too if you use a disk that
has been formatted on an IBM PC.  One can find IBM formatters for the ST.
There are subtle differences.

>    ...                    I am mainly interested in getting the
>Uniterm communications program.

Uniterm is great.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

Steve_Godun@rubbs1.UUCP (Steve Godun) (04/13/88)

The Atari ST and IBM PC are file compatible, which means you can write a program to an IBM disk, plug it into the ST's drive and be able to read, write, delete, copy, etc with no problems.  Of course, you can't run IBM programs directly on an ST (although there are a good quality IBM emulators available), but you can, for example, read an IBM-written text file into 1st Word or any other popular word processor on the ST.

By the way, what did you mean by "Atari 12"?

--
Mail coming to you from the Fidonet Gateway -  Node 1:107/330

To respond, please send mail to ...rutgers!rubbs1!net!node!user_name