[comp.sys.atari.st] Underscore crash bug

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/11/88)

In article <2220@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> c162-br@zooey.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Warner Young) writes:

>                             ...                 In fact, this is
>a template that should also avoid the underscore crash bug.

I think this has been mentioned before, but what exactly is the
	"underscore crash bug" ?

I guess it has to do with "_" in the name of a file.
	Is the problem having a file named just "_"?
	Or is the problem having a file with name beginning with "_"?
	I think it is not just having the "_" in the name of the file,
		( e.g. 1st_word.* ).

When does the crash occur?
	When one looks at the directory containing such a file?
	When one reads the file?
	When one writes to the file?

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

u14@nikhefh.hep.nl (Daan Josephus Jitta) (04/12/88)

In article <1510@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>I think this has been mentioned before, but what exactly is the
>	"underscore crash bug" ?
> [stuff deleted]
>When does the crash occur?
>	When one looks at the directory containing such a file?
>	When one reads the file?
>	When one writes to the file?

You apparently have the Mega ROMs, because this famous bug is solved in
the Mega ROMs. You can reproduce the bug by typing an underscore in the
file name part of the file selector (using the old ROMs or a disk-based
TOS).  That's enough!

Daan Josephus Jitta.

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (04/12/88)

The underscore crash bug raises its feelers when you put the cursor in the
Directory line of the File Selector Box, enter an '_' on the line and hit
Return.

CRASH!
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (04/12/88)

I was in error about the underscore bug. You don't even have to enter a
Return! Just entering the '_' on the directory line of the File Selector Box
will crash the ST *very* hard!

martin@lakesys.UUCP
--

c162-br@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young) (04/13/88)

In article <1510@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu writes:
>In article <2220@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> c162-br@zooey.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP writes:
>>
>>                             ...                 In fact, this is
>>a template that should also avoid the underscore crash bug.
>
>I think this has been mentioned before, but what exactly is the
>	"underscore crash bug" ?
>--
> L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
>	ljdickey@waterloo.edu
>	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
>	ljdickey@water.UUCP	or	...!uunet!water!ljdickey

	Okay.  I hope this will answer any questions about the underscore
bug (and that umpteenth other netters don't post the same info).

	The underscore bug is a bug in the "middle" version of TOS.  That is,
it exists in the TOS ROMs of the old machines, not in the Mega's.  What happens
is that, in a dialog box, you type the underscore character '_', and the
machine will crash, typically with ten bombs.  This will happen only from
typing the character, not from displaying it.  And it only occurs on certain
dialog lines, such as the ones with a template of X or P or 9.  It will not
crash on a filename type, F.  Also, in the old, RAM TOS, and the Mega TOS,
typing the underscore merely causes an erase-to-end-of-line (the reverse
of ESC, I guess.)  Incidentally, anyone know why this happens?  (The _, not
the ESC).

	Well, I hope that does it.  But while we're at it, does anyone have
an answer to my original question?  Using a template of FFFFFFFFFFF doesn't
work correctly.  Typing an illegal character causes the line to be filled
with spaces.  Thanks.

\        /arner	- Writer of the dreaded Safety Seal Reviews
 \  /   /	- Owner of the vaporware group Safety Seal Software
  \/ \_/oung
       |	- Disclaimer:  I'm not associated.
     \_|

c162-br@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young) (04/13/88)

	Something I forgot to mention in my last article was what exactly
the templates I was talking about actually mean.  Well, X means a text
field, which in other words means the kind of dialog line where you can
type any character.  P is a pathname line, like the Directory line in
the File Selector.  9 is a numeric line, where only numbers are accepted,
like the time and date fields in the Control Panel.  There are actually
a few other types, but I don't have my GEM reference guide handy.  In any
case, about the only thing the underscore won't crash on pre-Mega machines
is the F template, or the filename line (as you might have guessed, this is
the Filename line in the File Selector).

			- Warner Young

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (04/13/88)

In article <1510@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>I think this has been mentioned before, but what exactly is the
>	"underscore crash bug" ?

I wondered this for a long time as well, since I've got a lot of names with
underscores in them.  Finally (after about 2 years of ST use) I managed to
generate an 'underscore crash' -- helped by hints from Simon Poole.

In the standard GEM file-selector box, there are two TEDINFO strings (lines
into which you can enter data).  The top one normally contains the drive,
path, and match_string being listed; the bottom one is where you enter a
filename.

If you *type* a string containing an underscore into the *top* line, the
system bombs.  If a string *containing* an underscore happens to appear
there because you 'clicked' your way into a (set of) subdirectories using
the mouse in the listing window, you're OK.  Also, as I recall, it is OK
to enter names containing underscores into the *lower* (filename) line.

The bombout occurs instantly when you enter an underscore character into
the top (path) line.  You can't miss it.

(Note this is based on recollection, albeit fairly recent recollection, but
I believe it's right -- or else I wouldn't say it.  It conceivably might
vary depending on which ROM set you've got, I of course have UK roms.
Whatever that means.)

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/17/88)

Just a note of appreciation to

	c162-br@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young)
	martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer)
	pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee)
	u14@nikhefh.hep.nl (Daan Josephus Jitta)

who answered my question about the underscore bug.
I am sure I am speaking for others, as well, when I say thank you.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
	ljdickey@water.UUCP	or	...!uunet!water!ljdickey

saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) (04/17/88)

I'd just like to add a few words to the discussion of the bombout caused by
typing an underscore in the path section of the file selector box.  On my 1040
ST, the symptoms are immediate termination with (I think) 6 bombs, followed a
few seconds later by 10 bombs and complete lockup.  However, the reset button
still works, and the files in my resettable ramdisk survive.  By my standards,
that makes it a medium-hard crash.  If you haven't tried to put too many char-
acters in an alert box, or hit too many tabs while testing a dialog box in K-
Resource, you haven't _lived_.

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/19/88)

|  Date: 12 Apr 88 12:50:34 GMT
|  From: lakesys!martin@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Martin Wiedmeyer)
|
|  I was in error about the underscore bug. You don't even have to enter a
|  Return! Just entering the '_' on the directory line of the File Selector Box
|  will crash the ST *very* hard!

I understand the bug, and bugs are bad!!  But why would one enter anything
at all in the directory line other than, for example, D: to change drives?
After that one can use the directory selection mechanism in fselect(?) to go
up and down the directory tree to the proper directory.  If one lands on a
directory that contains the ubiquitous underscore, that does not crash the
ST.  I find the standard file selection mechanism sufficiently versatile
that I have not yet put fselect2 in my \AUTO\ folder.  I must admit that the
documentation on fselect is virtually non-existant.  Thanks to the discussions
here on info-atari16 digest (and the newsgroups) I've learnt a lot about
fselect's functionality.  Thanks folks!

But then, I may be missing something....  Replies directly to me or info-atari16
but I can't access any of the newsgroups.  ;-{

Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\