[comp.sys.atari.st] AUTO-exec sequence

u6408954@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz (Kel Raywood) (03/30/88)

Does anyone know how to set the sequence in which programs are executed in
the AUTO folder on the boot disk?
		Kel Raywood,  School of Physics, U. of Melbourne, Australia

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/01/88)

In article <80@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz> u6408954@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz (Kel Raywood) writes:
>Does anyone know how to set the sequence in which programs are executed in
>the AUTO folder on the boot disk?
>		Kel Raywood,  School of Physics, U. of Melbourne, Australia

By experiment, I have found that it seems to be the order in which
I install the files in the AUOT folder.  I am not sure what happens
if you delete a file and then add another.  (smile).

When I want to be certain, I delete the AUTO folder, and then copy the
files I want, in the order I want, one at a time.  I use GULAM features
to help me with this.  My "install.g" command uses these Gulam features:
cp, echo, exit, foreach, if, mkdir, popd, pushd, rm, rmdir, set.
Anyone who wants a copy of this command may write, and ask for
"install.g" .

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (04/01/88)

In article <80@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz>, u6408954@ucsvc (Kel Raywood) writes:
> Does anyone know how to set the sequence in which programs are executed in
> the AUTO folder on the boot disk?

They are executed in the order in which they appear on the disk.  This is the
order in which you copied them to the AUTO folder, assuming you didn't delete
anything during the process.  (Deletion leaves holes which could be filled by
files that you copy later, which would then appear earlier on disk.)

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (04/01/88)

In fact, some shells will show this order on the ls (-d in the GPshell).

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (04/01/88)

-------

In article <26213@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram)
writes:
->In article <80@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz>, u6408954@ucsvc (Kel Raywood) writes:
->> Does anyone know how to set the sequence in which programs are executed in
->> the AUTO folder on the boot disk?
->
->They are executed in the order in which they appear on the disk.  This is the
->order in which you copied them to the AUTO folder, assuming you didn't delete
->anything during the process.  (Deletion leaves holes which could be filled by
->files that you copy later, which would then appear earlier on disk.)
->
->-- Ashwin.

BTW: if anybody wants it, i have a utility called rdir which reads the
directory in Fs{first,next} order and prints it out. this is helpful for the
above discussion so you know exactly the order in which the auto folder stuff
gets booted (i presume it is not date order as the owner's manual would have
you believe. i never did find out what the "in order" criteria was so i
always put things in the auto folder by first deleting everyting then
copy in date/FAT order anyway so i'm covered both ways...paranoid i guess).

i don't have time to respond to email requests. if someone gives me EXPLICIT
mailing directions, i'll post to ...sources.atari.st. otherwise i'll post
here. i'm not on bitnet either so it must be uucp. this posting will include
very unix-like {open,read,close}dir routines as well (i ported this to unix
instantly and we use it here, only it gives REAL inode numbers :^)

-bill

Jinfu@cup.portal.com (04/03/88)

RE: auto execute order

From my experience, the order of programs in auto folder being
executed are the modified time of each program. The 'oldest'
one runs first and the 'youngest' one last. A simple experiment
can prove this:

Find an auto folder with serveral programs in it already, or
just copy a few programs into it if it's empty. Use the
SHOW INFO menu in DESKTOP to change filenames to modified
the file time stamp, the order of programs being executed
can be changed.

Jinfu Chen

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (04/05/88)

In article <80@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz> u6408954@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz (Kel Raywood) writes:
>Does anyone know how to set the sequence in which programs are executed in
>the AUTO folder on the boot disk?
>		Kel Raywood,  School of Physics, U. of Melbourne, Australia

Yes I do. I just finished cooking up a program to do just that (along with a
few other bells and whistles) which I am going to post to the moderator today.
But I'll post you a copy now.

"I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being
told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and
tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!"
- Monty Python

 Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs
 Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk
 Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil
 Edinburgh
 Scotland

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/08/88)

|  RE: auto execute order
|
|  Find an auto folder with serveral programs in it already, or
|  just copy a few programs into it if it's empty. Use the
|  SHOW INFO menu in DESKTOP to change filenames to modified
|  the file time stamp, the order of programs being executed
|  can be changed.

My tests with the \AUTO\ folder do NOT exactly produce your results.
Executable files in the folder are executed in the order of their physical
presence: first-in first-executed.  Non-executable files are skipped over!
Using your method to change GDOS.PRG to GDOS.PRZ causes it to be skipped
over, also.  If I rename it back, it executes at the place that it originally
executed.

Therefore, one can construct the \AUTO\ folder in a lattice, and by renaming,
have the equivalent of multiple boot auto-EXEC sequences.

Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\
+(33) 61-33-62-66	       | BITNET/EARN:  SOBEK@FRMOP11        \ to UUCP )
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) (04/09/88)

In article <4283@cup.portal.com>, Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:

> just copy a few programs into it if it's empty. Use the
> SHOW INFO menu in DESKTOP to change filenames to modified
> the file time stamp, the order of programs being executed
> can be changed.

Jinfu,
Are you sure your system changes Filestamp when you do that? I can change
the file name on my ST and it doesn't seem to do anything to the date/time stamp

George Seto - Using a friend's account.

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

Jinfu@cup.portal.com (04/11/88)

George Seto writes:

>>In article <4283@cup.portal.com>, Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>> just copy a few programs into it if it's empty. Use the
>> SHOW INFO menu in DESKTOP to change filenames to modified
>> the file time stamp, the order of programs being executed
>> can be changed.
>
>Jinfu,
>Are you sure your system changes Filestamp when you do that? I can change
>the file name on my ST and it doesn't seem to do anything to the date/time stamp

George is right. Several users also sent my email to point out my
error. Sorry about the disinformation.

Jinfu Chen

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (04/12/88)

In article <4283@cup.portal.com> Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:

>RE: auto execute order
>
>From my experience, the order of programs in auto folder being
>executed are the modified time of each program. The 'oldest'
>one runs first and the 'youngest' one last. A simple experiment
>can prove this:

The execution sequence is determined by the order in which the directory
entries actually appear on the disk. This is usually the order in which you
put them in the freshly created folder but the dates have no effect. I posted
A Disk Toolbox to the moderator about a week ago which allows you to change
the sequence by swapping entries with eachother to get them in the order you
want.

unpowell@csvax.liv.ac.uk (04/20/88)

In article <80@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz>, u6408954@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz (Kel Raywood) writes:
> Does anyone know how to set the sequence in which programs are executed in
> the AUTO folder on the boot disk?
> 		Kel Raywood,  School of Physics, U. of Melbourne, Australia

	Yes. With a little thought.
	When a folder is created (or all files in it are deleted) all filename
slots in the directory are free.
	When a file is written the next available slot is used for the
necessary file information. e.g. if you write three files into an empty
directory, the first three filename slots will be used up, if you then deleted
file two (i.e. the middle file) then there will be a free filename slot
between the first and third files written, if you now write another file
onto this disk it will use the next free filename slot i.e. the one between
the first and third files.
	The sequence of execution is the order of the filename slots on the
disk. The only way to set this (without using a sector editor) is to copy
all files in the auto folder into ramdisk and then delete them from the
original disk. Then copy them back into the auto folder in the sequence
you wish them to be executed. The first file written back into the auto
folder will then be the first file executed, the second file written back
will be the second file executed etc. It's a messy process, but it works.
The sorting of the filenames by the desktop can be very counter-productive
at times.

	Mark Powell

 "...there's no success   JANET unpowell@uk.ac.liv.csvax
  like failure and        UUCP  {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!unpowell
  failure's no success    ARPA  unpowell%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
  at all..." B.Dylan